PDA

View Full Version : powerstroke or cummins?

bibbo
02-22-2008, 11:17 AM
:help:i was wondering what you guys like more. the 7.3 powerstroke or the 24 valve cummins? what has more power? what can you get more "bang for your buck for" performance wise? whats more reliable and easyer to maintain? i love the ford but i know guys that swear on there cummins. thanks for the help :waving:

fastcutter
02-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Left one out... You better get a Dmax.. We run them all this is far the best..

kps2389
02-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Cummins all the way!

Scag48
02-22-2008, 01:33 PM
I favor the 7.3 only because it's attached to a Ford. However, the Cummins is a fantastic motor. The only thing I have against Dodge is the fact that the rest of the truck falls apart around the motor and we all know Dodge's automatics are garbage unless you drop $6-7K on a custom built tranny.The Cummins will get better mileage than the Powerstroke, that's my beef with the 7.3's, terrible mileage for a diesel. My dad has an F350 that gets maybe 17 on the freeway on a good day, we also had an F450 with a flatbed that never broke 15 MPG. That was a heavy truck and was a work only vehicle, so mileage wasn't as important, I never drove it more than 70 miles a week but it took everything I threw at it.

Gravel Rat
02-22-2008, 01:34 PM
You buy a Cummins you got a piece of junk Dodge wrapped around it.

I prefer Ford the truck is built better which is what your buying the truck for. The 24 valve has its problems.

My choice is 7.3 PSD.

I have a 03 6.0 and like the way the truck runs. It is in stock form and makes my F-450 feel like a sports car the truck weighs 9300lbs empty.

kc2006
02-22-2008, 01:42 PM
I'd go powerstroke because of the truck. Cummins is a better engine I think but like others said, the truck sucks. Guy I sub for with plowing runs dodges, he always has to get rid of the trucks at 80-100K miles because the truck it self is costing too much.

Do some things to the 7.3's and you can get good mileage out of them. My 96 gets 20-21mpg around town. Even with my 4,000lb trailer it still gets 18ish running the mowing route which is all stop and go.

GSPHUNTER
02-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Like others have said, look at the whole truck. Even guys that run Cummins will tell you the rest of the truck is not up for the task. I know three guys with 12 valves, and they swear by the motor but hate the rest of the truck.

This would be like buying a mower that had a great Kawi engine, but cut like crap, or buying a house just because you liked the kitchen but hated the rest of the house.

It's a big purchase. Go drive any of the big three trucks out there and see what you like. All three diesels on the market are good motors, and they leap frog from year to year as far as power goes.

Good Luck

YardBoss Lawncare
02-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Cummins, Cummins, Cummins. But........it's like they said, in order to get the best engine on the market you have to be willing to get the worst cab/truck. I bought mine new last March and the windows are already sucking air when I go down the highway (pretty bad too), I had a skid plate come loose, and the front seal on my automatic tranny is already leaking at 60,000 miles. Not bad, but it is leaking a little. Before this I had an 04' 6.0 liter Powerstroke and before that I had the 7.3 Powerstroke. I've got nothing but good things to say about the 7.3. Mine had 180,000 on it when I sold it and all I ever had to do was replace a fuel line under the hood.

GSPHUNTER
02-22-2008, 01:58 PM
I went back and read your post again.

Maintenace, the Cummins is by far the easiest to work on at home.

Power, like I said in my last post, they leap frog trying to one up each other every year.

As far as performance, I've been told that the Dmax is supposed to get great gains from mods, but any diesel is going to cost big bucks to get really modded up.

UrbanGreen
02-22-2008, 02:01 PM
I have a 06' duramax and love it! However i am looking to buy another diesel but cannot afford another new one. I have always heard the powerstrokes are great especially the 7.3, but its hard to find one that hasnt been beaten to death it seems like. I keep finding plenty of the 6.0. Do you guys recomend the 6.0 or keep looking for a 7.3?

UrbanGreen
02-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Forgot to say before the Duramax I had a Cummins. Like every one has said great engine, that about it. My tranny and rear end went out at 40k and 46K.

Gravel Rat
02-22-2008, 02:17 PM
The 6.0 Fords are hit or miss. The biggest problem is the dealers that worked on the trucks. If they didn't have any knowlege of the problems they made the 6.0s problems worse. I know quite a few people with 6.0s and no problems. The 7.3 PSDs have their problems too mainly the CPS.

The big thing for me about the 6.0 it is quiet a 7.3 you need ear plugs in the cab :laugh:

My brothers 12 valve Cummins is fairly loud in the cab.

The 24 valve had problems with lift pumps that would eventually take out the electronic injection pump then your into $$$$$.

Here in B.C. a rebuilt injection pump for a 24 valve is in the 5-6 grand range.

The 24 valve had problems with cracked engine blocks the dreaded 53 block.

I think if you are going to buy a Dodge Cummins it would be the last year the 12valve came out with the inline pump. Less power but cheaper to fix.

As the others mentioned if you want to turn the power up and you have a automatic behind it then you will have to have a built transmission.

BobcatBoy06
02-22-2008, 02:35 PM
I would have to say the cummins will be your easiest to work on. I have a Ram with a cummins in it. Right now its about to turn 153,000 I haven't done anything to the transmission besides have some bands adjusted. I did however replace the lift and injector pump at 121,000 this cost me $2,200 for parts and labor, that problem can be avoided if you put in a fuel pressure gauge then you will probably just take out the lift pump. I also rebuilt the rear end at just over 100,000 miles. All and all it has been as awesome truck to me, I'm confident that it will give me many more years of service. I think that it will compete with any truck of similar year that isn't modified to much.

bibbo
02-22-2008, 02:51 PM
heyy guys thanks for all the responses its really helping my decision. itll be about a year till i finnally buy but this has helped out. i think i want a ford with a cummins lol.

UrbanGreen
02-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Its been done! There are conversion kits! lol

Victor
02-22-2008, 03:11 PM
I have a 06' duramax and love it! However i am looking to buy another diesel but cannot afford another new one. I have always heard the powerstrokes are great especially the 7.3, but its hard to find one that hasnt been beaten to death it seems like. I keep finding plenty of the 6.0. Do you guys recomend the 6.0 or keep looking for a 7.3?

I've got a really clean, well cared for truck (with a 7.3 PSD) for sale Urban. Go to >> http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=56542 to check it out.

KTM
02-22-2008, 03:27 PM
There both going to be good trucks, I have had every brand and they all have problems. The 7.3 is a great motor, but I have seen a few go bad before 200,000k when things do go wrong they seem to cost more than the Cummins to fix. Somebody said it cost $6000 to get the Dodge tranny built that is not true, you can stick that much in any tranny but, that's they guys that are pulling and drag racing with double or triple the power output, somebody also said A injection pump would cost $5000 for the 24valve, I don't know where he is shopping, should be under $2000 easy. You should watch out for 53 blocks on the Cummins but, if you plan to run stock power it should be fine. The Ford is the better truck but not that much better than the dodge, The Cummins is obviously the better motor, been proven time over time. Obviously your looking for an older truck so I would just look for the best deal you can find on a clean low mile unit, there both hot trucks for there age so every time you see one they want a lot for them.

UrbanGreen
02-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Victor, checked out your 7.3 it looks good, but Ive gotta have the four door. Thanks for offer.

Victor
02-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Victor, checked out your 7.3 it looks good, but Ive gotta have the four door. Thanks for offer.

Thanks for the good words Urban. Anytime Buddy.

JShe8918
02-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Out of the two i would choose a cummins. Sorry all you ford guys but in any book a cummins will out pull any other diesel. But for my personal preferences i would choose a duramax. They have came a long way. I have had all three. except my ford wasn't a 7.3 it was a 6.0. But the new 6. ??? something dodge is awesome and so is the LMM Duramax. Didn't like the 6.4 ford.

JShe8918
02-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Out of the two i would choose a cummins. Sorry all you ford guys but in any book a cummins will out pull any other diesel. But for my personal preferences i would choose a duramax. They have came a long way.

Buckeye Lawncare
02-22-2008, 06:41 PM
:help:i was wondering what you guys like more. the 7.3 powerstroke or the 24 valve cummins? what has more power? what can you get more "bang for your buck for" performance wise? whats more reliable and easyer to maintain? i love the ford but i know guys that swear on there cummins. thanks for the help :waving:

I love my 24 value. A friend of mine just tested out the big 3 diesels (ford, Dodge, Chevrolet) last weekend, I went with him and this is what I observed.
Ford- Nice truck, decent power, built in trailer break, BUT opened the hood on it and and you can not fit a freakin toothpick down into the engine compartment very tight. I would image it would be a pain in the a$$ to work on. Most expensive out of all three.
Dodge- Power- the most out of all three. Decent interior, lots of room to work on in engine compartment.
Chevy- Best interior out of all three, had more power than the ford, but not the cummins.

The dodge and chevy were both 4 door long beds, the ford was a 4 door short bed. The chevy was loaded (heated leather seats, remote start, wood grain, etc.) the dodge and ford were both a step down from loaded. The dodge was the cheapest, then the chevy, and finally the ford. For your money the chevy was a better deal. But the dodge had the most power.

Sorry for the long post!

Eclipse
02-22-2008, 09:48 PM
What is all this about how the rest of the truck around the Cummins is crap.

The last one (Dodge Cummins) I sold has 298k on it. It was a work truck it's entire life and it was a great truck. The one I am driving now has 260k on it and has been a work truck it's entire life and once again I still feel it is a great truck.

I cannot say that Ford's are better or worse since I have not owned one but I can attest that the Dodge is a great truck.

dandavis
02-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Diesels are waste of money,in three years you have a whipped truck that runs good.Buy a gas engine way more for your money

Eclipse
02-23-2008, 08:55 AM
I will add this, for my persoanl work vehicle, diesel without a doubt (obviously). For a work truck for a crew, gasser.