PDA

View Full Version : Chassis for my Switch-n-Go project

ConstSvcs
02-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Made the trek to Florida for a chassis that I purchased. The 12 foot Switch-n-Go hoist is being shipped to me. We are removing the fifth wheel body that came with the truck and preparing the chassis for the rest. I've been searching for a short wheel base and finally found it.

It has a six speed and engine brake. Seems like it will have plenty of power to pull my trailer and skid or mini-exc.

Marek
02-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Looks like a clean unit. How many miles?

JLAWNCARE
02-22-2008, 10:40 PM
I just bought a switch n go great system GGOD LUCK

Lawnworks
02-23-2008, 12:08 AM
I have an FRR that I haul my skid and dingo with. It is a beast. Stops great even w/ 12k on the bed. Has pretty decent power if you keep the turbo spooled. How many miles? What did you give?

ConstSvcs
02-23-2008, 09:17 AM
I have an FRR that I haul my skid and dingo with. It is a beast. Stops great even w/ 12k on the bed. Has pretty decent power if you keep the turbo spooled. How many miles? What did you give?

As far as miles......it has 82,421 :) The engine brake is great. The truck was owner by a trucker who pulled his camper with it and used it to drive to work. It's never seen any work. It has a Power Shot 2000 propane booster which is amazing! It's turbo boost actuated once you set it to "on" and increases the torque by 150+ ftlbs and HP by 50 at the setting he has tuned it to. It's like riding in the Batmobile with a fishbowl for a windshield:) NO additional stress is placed on the engine because the propane causes a more efficient burn of the fuel with no increase in combustion pressure or temps.

Sad thing for me is......I'm removing it. I have no place for relocating the tank (currently behind the cab) and won't be making any long hauls. The standard engine power is enough for my needs.

I decided to give the system to the employee who mad the long trip with me.

He's hyped at at the change to attach it to his Dodge Cummins turbo :dancing:

I paid $16,500 I thought it was fair and in line with the condition of the truck. I'll be at 30,000.00 after I install the hoist, bumper, fenders and one medium container.

I couldn't find one locally that was owner operator and a short wheelbase. Those 166" wheelbase chassis are easy to overload with a can and 19,500# GVW.

I'll keep you posted with more pics.

ConstSvcs
02-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Here's an image of the back just after we picked up the truck. That's the proud new owner of the Power Shot system eating his chips.

Lawnworks
02-23-2008, 10:08 AM
I think that is a fair deal. That is about what I paid for mine this past summer. Good call on taking the propane off. That would make me nervous on an isuzu engine. My buddy just blew his motor in his frr at 200k.

I am really interested in seeing pictures of how your truck turns out. Why did you want a short chassis? For hauling a trailer?

I have thought about doing this to my truck... I really think you have a great truck for the switch-n-go. The brakes and maneuverability are great. The power is ok... I feel like my cummins and duramax have more pulling power than the frr, but it does the job. I guess the trick is keeping the turbo spooled while going up hills.

mag360
02-23-2008, 06:02 PM
As far as miles......it has 82,421 :) The engine brake is great. The truck was owner by a trucker who pulled his camper with it and used it to drive to work. It's never seen any work. It has a Power Shot 2000 propane booster which is amazing! It's turbo boost actuated once you set it to "on" and increases the torque by 150+ ftlbs and HP by 50 at the setting he has tuned it to. It's like riding in the Batmobile with a fishbowl for a windshield:) NO additional stress is placed on the engine because the propane causes a more efficient burn of the fuel with no increase in combustion pressure or temps.

Sad thing for me is......I'm removing it. I have no place for relocating the tank (currently behind the cab) and won't be making any long hauls. The standard engine power is enough for my needs.

I decided to give the system to the employee who mad the long trip with me.

He's hyped at at the change to attach it to his Dodge Cummins turbo :dancing:

I paid $16,500 I thought it was fair and in line with the condition of the truck. I'll be at 30,000.00 after I install the hoist, bumper, fenders and one medium container.

I couldn't find one locally that was owner operator and a short wheelbase. Those 166" wheelbase chassis are easy to overload with a can and 19,500# GVW.

I'll keep you posted with more pics.

Nice truck. Propane will increase egt's though so you should warn your worker to get a guage.

ConstSvcs
02-23-2008, 07:36 PM
See here about propane injection :

http://www.fourwheeler.com/brandpages/129_0406_gas_for_diesels/index.html

bruno_rs
02-23-2008, 10:44 PM
nice setup. would you mind sharing what the switch and go cost (shipping too)? are you doing the install "in house" or a local truck shop? i'd also like to see some pics throughout the process and/or once you're done. very cool little truck...i like it! thanks, good luck with it.

ConstSvcs
02-23-2008, 11:58 PM
nice setup. would you mind sharing what the switch and go cost (shipping too)? are you doing the install "in house" or a local truck shop? i'd also like to see some pics throughout the process and/or once you're done. very cool little truck...i like it! thanks, good luck with it.

The 12' Switch-n-Go hoist and bumper kit will cost $10,700.00 from an in state truck builder. this includes tax and shipping direct from the factory. Yes we will be installing the hoist and bumper ourselves. A medium duty 12' can with 51" sides will cost about $ 2,700.

I'll continue to post images of our progress.

hosejockey2002
02-24-2008, 01:08 PM
NO additional stress is placed on the engine because the propane causes a more efficient burn of the fuel with no increase in combustion pressure or temps.

I don't see how this is possible. To make more torque and horsepower you have to push those pistons up and down harder and faster, and no matter how you slice it that places more stress on engine internals.

ConstSvcs
02-25-2008, 12:22 AM
I don't see how this is possible. To make more torque and horsepower you have to push those pistons up and down harder and faster, and no matter how you slice it that places more stress on engine internals.

Here is the site: http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/faq.html

hosejockey2002
02-25-2008, 03:07 PM
It sounds like a really cool thing, but nowhere in the website do they claim that there is no extra stress on the engine. They also caution you to not use full throttle for extended periods of time. A diesel engine should be able to run WOT all day long without hurting it. They also dance around the warranty issue, saying that the system is easy to remove and reinstall if you have to take the truck into the shop. This tells me that this system WOULD void your warranty.

I'm not saying that this system is junk or anything like that. I'm just saying that when you do anything to get more power out of an engine, and you use that power, engine durability will suffer as a result.

ConstSvcs
02-25-2008, 03:25 PM
I agree 100% and those same statements are why I chose to remove it from the truck. The truck already has plenty of power for my needs.

Gravel Rat
02-25-2008, 04:06 PM
The only problem with the switch and go is you loose that extra 12 or more inches on the front of the body where the bottom corner is snyped for the winch clearance.

I thought about building my rolloff hoist but by the time you crunch the numbers there isn't enough work. Then I looked at the other companies in the area and they all have tandem axle trucks and 40 yard bins.

Then with landfill regulations everything has to be sorted if you got a mixed load of debris you can't dump it. You drop a bin at a residential location I would have to load the bin myself so it can be unloaded properly at the landfill.

My garbage hauling and rubbish removal has dropped off to nothing. I got one job cleaning up a place that will be going on the market. Too many handy men out there with P/U trucks that haul stuff away for peanuts.

cantoo
02-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Gravel rat, we quit renting 40 yard bins because of recycling. When you go to the dump if they decide there is too much recylables in the bin they charge you double to dump. We use 20 yard bins now. They also take up less room on site.

Gravel Rat
02-25-2008, 09:53 PM
The only time a 40 yard is used is for scrap metal or brush/landclearing debris. For house demolition you can't have a mixed bin it has to be nothing but wood nothing else. If you have durioids or drywall in the bin it has to be dumped and reloaded. Around here if you bring in mixed load the landfill charges you 100 bucks per hour to sort it.

The wood debris is ground up, drywall and scrap steel is recycled and any other recyclable stuff is sorted out.

There is so little renovation work happening people can't afford to renovate the house they bought for 500,000. New construction the debris is burned on site like the end cuts and scraps of plywood it keeps the crew warm when its cold and miserable.

Then the new construction sites are getting into tougher spots there is no room to put a bin. Some of the places now the access road is steep and rough once you dropped the bin you wouldn't beable to get back up the driveway just with the truck to get the full bin.

For me a rolloff would make it easy to load just drop the box and leave the rails up load the box pull the box back on. I get allot of heavy stuff like old washing machines etc.

There was a F-550 with a switch and go set up forsale on Vancouver Island or I think it was on the island. Not very old truck with a brandnew switch and go system with bins I forgot the price.

The bins are the expensive part you would be looking at atleast 3000-4000 dollars each.

cantoo
02-25-2008, 10:36 PM
The first thing we put up on site now is a "free" sign. We put all the wood scraps, drywall, etc and most of it disappears real quick.

lawnMaster5000
02-26-2008, 04:44 AM
I talked to that guy about buying that truck, looked like a great deal but not really what I was looking for. Glad you got it.

ConstSvcs
02-26-2008, 11:58 PM
I talked to that guy about buying that truck, looked like a great deal but not really what I was looking for. Glad you got it.

Yep.......he was great to work with. He let me drive it home under his insurance and plate. He met us at the airport and gave us a ride back to his house. I didn,t have the heart to tell him that I was going to yank that body and use it as a roll-of truck :rolleyes:

He did say that there where a few interested parties. I just gave him what he was asking. The truck is very clean. Just needs new rear rubber. Those southern slicks just don't cut the weather in the north(east).

ConstSvcs
02-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Here is the same chassis length with the 12' Switch-n-Go and 15 yd container. I think it will work out well with the 19500 gvw. The hoist system arrives on Thursday !

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1611081&guid=26AF406B2C0C4EE0880C00CD71224521

Gravel Rat
02-27-2008, 12:20 AM
If the truck has 225/70R-19.5 rubber which is looks like it does and you need drive tires look at the Bridgestone M729. A friend of mine was looking for drive tires for his truck that runs 245 19.5 rubber I suggested the Stones.

He says they are great in the snow and traction in general and they don't howl that bad.

Myself I run Bandag retreads they are cheaper and last longer than virgin tires. Never had a cap peal in the 12 years of running them.

lawnMaster5000
02-27-2008, 01:15 AM
ya I talked to those guys at KW trucks too, but decided I wanted a 14' SnG with central hydraulics

Cant wait to see yours all set up

ConstSvcs
02-27-2008, 07:23 AM
If the truck has 225/70R-19.5 rubber which is looks like it does and you need drive tires look at the Bridgestone M729. A friend of mine was looking for drive tires for his truck that runs 245 19.5 rubber I suggested the Stones.

He says they are great in the snow and traction in general and they don't howl that bad.

Myself I run Bandag retreads they are cheaper and last longer than virgin tires. Never had a cap peal in the 12 years of running them.

Thanks, I'll look into those. I never thought about the possibility of needing new rears ties because of tread design, when I bought the truck. Until my ride home in a snow storm.

ConstSvcs
02-27-2008, 07:27 AM
ya I talked to those guys at KW trucks too, but decided I wanted a 14' SnG with central hydraulics

Cant wait to see yours all set up

The HD version is very nice ! It must have a longer service life than the electric winch. I just couldn't justify the extra $$ since this truck won't be a daily driver.

I'll keep everyone up to date with the progress.

threeleafllc
02-27-2008, 12:38 PM
ConstSvcs
were are you going to buying your cans from ?
There is a company in waterbury that build all of our cans at a good price...
They make a good can and can help you out with parts...
call me for more info im in your area
860 209 3844
Allen

ConstSvcs
02-27-2008, 12:54 PM
ConstSvcs
were are you going to buying your cans from ?
There is a company in waterbury that build all of our cans at a good price...
They make a good can and can help you out with parts...
call me for more info im in your area
860 209 3844
Allen

Thanks Allen. I have a quote on a powder coated medium duty can with 51" sides made by S-n-G for $2600 . I'll give you a call when I return from vaca. on the 10th. I'm thinking of a second can with lower sides and a modified swing/ tailgate for use in hauling earth products.

Gravel Rat
02-27-2008, 07:36 PM
In the warmer climates aka no snow they can get away with a Rib tread tire which is no good for anything but dry pavement. I was in the local landfill today spinning tires in the mud the Bandags turned into slicks a mud rated tread doesn't do very well in landfill gumbo :laugh:

I was talking with my old man last night he said if you are going to keep hauling garbage again I should build a rolloff. It has been on my mind because any way I try to design a dumping flatdeck I can't get the loading height any lower. Right now my current deck on the F-450 doesn't dump but the deck is 47 inches from the ground to the deck. If I was going to make a fixed deck I can get it lower but I want a dumping flat and there is now easy way to get it low enough.

I can build a hoist myself it is simple enough to build and I would build full rails that touch the ground. It would have a electric winch like the switch and go but I wouldn't mount the winch at the head of the rails it would have a head pulley and a winch in the middle of the rails. So when you pull a can onto the rails you can get the weight closer to the cab and get more weight on the front axle.

I wouldn't put rollers on the side of the rails it will be like the tandem axle rolloff trucks I drove it is steel sliding on steel.

threeleafllc
02-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks Allen. I have a quote on a powder coated medium duty can with 51" sides made by S-n-G for $2600 . I'll give you a call when I return from vaca. on the 10th. I'm thinking of a second can with lower sides and a modified swing/ tailgate for use in hauling earth products.

i just ordered a 10ft long 94 inch wide with a 2 fot side for my dirt box .. its ganna have pockets for wood sides to make it higher .. it should be a nice addition to my can fleet.. give me a call i would love to come down and check out your project ... im kinda just sitting around doing nothing anyway hahaha..