PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever use a Dixie Chopper?

TMGL&L
02-22-2008, 10:44 PM
This guy wants to sell me a dixie chopper...Are these good mowers or what?

The following is the email he sent me...

"I have a 2005 Dixie Chopper with a 60" cut with less the 600 hrs 24 hp honda I have a just had it serviced new gator blades filters and all fluids just done. $3500 obo"

kayeproperties
02-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Well it sounds like a fair price. I ran an exmark but didnt care for the dealer and how he handled warranty and his attitude so In late 2004 I bought a 50" Dixie with a 25 hp Kohler. It was pretty fast but the cut isnt as good as the exmark and I didnt care for the ride hight a little higher made me feel a little more unstable on inclines and stuff. Does tear up the grass more. Did like the no clutch part. I did have lotts of major problems with it though. 2 short blocks which were kohler issues and it never seems to ever be the same when moors come apart that deep. Dosent charge the battery. Now the valve rocker arm bolt has pulled out of the head??? It always had a hydro leak which never got fixed it seems they were always working on the motor and seemed to forget to work on that, Also had a hydro pump go bad at 700 hours or so. Wheel bearings seemed to wear out faster than other mowers. So in a nutshell I bought another x-mark and life is good again. Dixie sits in garage awaiting some time so at least it can be run as a backup. Id stay with an exmark or maybe others. We all have our preferences.

Jay Ray
02-23-2008, 11:21 AM
There ya go TMGL&L. Listen to the experience. I knew the Dixie was fast but not that it tore up turf more than other brands and had more maintenance issues. Kinda thought I wanted one last year but the dealer is 70 miles away. You won't find many complaints about Scag on here, nor many about Exmark except when they changed from the Ultra-Cut to the new Triton deck, and that may or may not be solved. Not many complaints on Toro or Hustler either.

So many on here started with a walk-behind. Now you know it is very hard to find a good Z for the money unless you are flush with money or want to go into debt. Ask yourself if you really have to have that Z this year?

There was a Katie LCO on here who had built up a pretty good business and then bought a Toro residential Z and I've wondered how well the machine has done for her, but haven't seen a post for a long while. Either it is doing so well she don't have time to post or she doesn't want to say that you guys told me not to do it.

A commercial wb makes a good backup.

Turfhead
02-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Hey Mate I Sold Dixie Choppers For A Few Years And Know A Couple Things About It. Ask The Guy What The Serial # Is And Then Take The First Two Numbers And Turn Them Around. Thats The Year Of It. Ex. 703264 Would Be An O7 Model. Ask Him Weather It Has An Amsoil Filter Hydrolic Filter. Then Ask Where Is The Pto Handle. If Its Between Your Feet, Then Its More Of A Commercial Quality. Contact Me If You Need Any Other Help. Oh Yeah $3500. Pretty Close On The Price If Its In Good Shape. If You Can Get Pictures Of Mower I Could Tell You More Info. Also Ask What The Model Is. Is It An Xt, Xk, Xg, Lt, Or Whatever Else.

lifetree
02-23-2008, 01:15 PM
... Dixie sits in garage awaiting some time so at least it can be run as a backup. Id stay with an exmark or maybe others. We all have our preferences.

I don't own Dixie Chopper, however, I've heard similar things about them ... If I were you I'd take his advice !!

DiyDave
02-23-2008, 09:07 PM
I used to run Gravely, but the Dixie has it beat all to hell. Runs on a steeper slope, cuts smoother. The one I run is a 28 HP EFI Kohler, unstoppable! The only problem I have run into is the fuel pump is mounted above the bottom of the tanks, so you have to remove it from the frame, and lower it to prime the system. Lesson learned is to not let it run out of gas!:hammerhead:

cclllc
02-24-2008, 11:26 AM
I don't own Dixie Chopper, however, I've heard similar things about them ... If I were you I'd take his advice !!

I have owned Dixie's since 1996 and want have any thing else.As far as turf issues that is the operators fault and not the mower. Run turf tires if you can't stop spinning the wheels.

TMGL&L
02-24-2008, 06:14 PM
I'll post an update when I get more info on the mower...For now I'll keep looking for a used exmark.

Lawnworks
02-27-2008, 11:06 AM
I prefer exmarks and scags over dixies. They might be better for northern turfgrasses... but I just don't think they are designed for southern turfgrasses. $3500 is a pretty fair deal... $2500 would be a steal... you could probably resell for $4000 on ebay.

Mgardner
02-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Bought a 60" Dixie new and haven`t looked back. Its been torchured and abused beyond any commercial mower I`ve been around and never had a failure other than an occasional flat. Have a collection system on it and run wide open 12 hour days collecting leaves and debris. Its shorter than the conventional mowers therefore you can squeeze into impossible places . Turf damage ? Thats amusing as any Z turn will damage turf if you make stupid mistakes. Thats a deal and ,in my book the competitors Z Turns don`t hold a candle to the Dixie`s. Not even the same playing field.Some are built to look pretty, the Choppers built to abuse.Iv`e feild mowed weeds in 97 degree weather and simply ground the field down,never once thrown a belt or fried one.Finish cut is superior to anything out there. The seat is shot the mower is absolutely filthy ,but well greased and serviced.

Lawnworks
02-29-2008, 04:57 PM
I personally think the Dixie's are quite inferior to Scags and Exmarks. I had 4 Dixie Choppers and put roughly 1000-1500 hours on each. The old 1999 model was built better than the new 2005 model I had! The seat safety system is stupid. You can't get off the mower w/ it shutting off. There is no pto blade engage safety system. The deck lift does not have 1/4" adjustments like scag and exmark. The deck is junk. The front discharge side of the deck always bends down and then digs into the turf. The parking brake is junk... usually doesn't work after 100hrs... or 100hrs after you fix it. The hydros are extremely jerky... jerky to the point of being dangerous. I flipped a dixie chopper going up a hill and the hydros started jerking making the front end bounce and then flip over almost killing me... luckily I rolled away just in time before the mower would have crushed me.

I run Scags now... I feel they are much safer and more dependable.

kjslawn
02-29-2008, 06:57 PM
I sold mine for An Everride Warrior 54 Inch. We have bought a second one for this upcoming season. Dixie to me is out dated.Ten years ago they were great but technology has changed but they have not.