PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to dethatch my own lawn?

yungman
02-22-2008, 10:48 PM
I have to dethatch my own lawn soon. Few ways I can go:
1) Buy Mantis with aerator & dethatch add on, which cost about $520.
2) Get a multi-tool with dethatch attachment. Since I want to buy a hedge clipper also, so I can do both. Problem is the dethatch attachment is very expensive.
3) Cheapest way is to get a lawn mower dethatch blade. But does it really work?

Anyone have experience with Mantis dethatcher? Any experience with the slit aerator?
What dethatcher blade to buy for my Troy Bilt TB836 21" mower?
Are those multi-tool hedge clipper and dethatcher any good?

Thanks

Grits
02-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Get the pull behind with spring tines. It'll work for your own lawn.

How big is your lawn? If it is around 1/4 acre, it will take a while with the equipment you listed.

yungman
02-22-2008, 11:51 PM

How big is your lawn? If it is around 1/4 acre, it will take a while with the equipment you listed.

It is about 4000sqft only.

KS_Grasscutter
02-22-2008, 11:59 PM

Those do not work, AT ALL. Why not go rent a power rake, and do it right?

yungman
02-23-2008, 12:02 AM

Do you mean none of the ones I mensioned work!!?

KS_Grasscutter
02-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Do you mean none of the ones I mensioned work!!?

Not as well... and why buy something when you can rent it MANY times for the same price as something that will just do a halfassed job?

DuraCutter
02-23-2008, 12:04 AM

He's right. While you're at it, see if you can do some of your neighbors and help pay or make a profit off the rental!!!

How's that for advice...:laugh:

:)

saw man
02-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Didnt you ask this before? Typical for you not to listen!

The best answer you got in this thread, and the only one that will work the best is to rent a powerrake!

The Mantis is designed to cultivate, thats it! Tines spin too fast for powerraking!
Same with the multi tool, spins too fast and it will take you forever!
The blade on the mower, again too fast. Also its does the worst job of them all!!

Rent one for $40 and you will be $$ ahead and have done a MUCH better job!

edit: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=214491&highlight=mantis+dethatch

Why ask again about the Mantis? I swear you posted on another site about this as well.

yungman
02-23-2008, 12:35 AM
No truck, can't rent!!! I just need something to do a half way decent job.

saw man
02-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Then hire someone!

Seriously, if you want a halfa$$ed job then go to Homedepot or Lowes and buy what they have. If you want it done right then hire someone to do it.

KS_Grasscutter
02-23-2008, 12:40 AM

What about hiring some one to do it, that will do it right? NONE of the tools you listed will power rake very good at all.

yungman
02-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks, that is discouraging!!! I am so hoping I can get something for a few hundred dollars and do a half ass job and get by!!!! I have to check out what is a power rake!!

KS_Grasscutter
02-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Thanks, that is discouraging!!! I am so hoping I can get something for a few hundred dollars and do a half ass job and get by!!!! I have to check out what is a power rake!!

A power rake is the tool you used for dethatching. And WHY would you want to spend a few hundred for a half assed job? That's pretty assanine. It would do you just about as much good to send me a check for $300 as it would to buy and use any of the tools you listed. Plus by doing that you wont tear the hell out of your lawn, and wont have another piece of junk cluttering up your garage.

yungman
02-23-2008, 01:05 AM
A power rake is the tool you used for dethatching. And WHY would you want to spend a few hundred for a half assed job? That's pretty assanine. It would do you just about as much good to send me a check for $300 as it would to buy and use any of the tools you listed. Plus by doing that you wont tear the hell out of your lawn, and wont have another piece of junk cluttering up your garage.

Check is in the mail, just hold your breath and wait!!!!:laugh::laugh:

ACA L&L
02-23-2008, 01:11 AM

whats the deal no truck? Do you have a buisness or should this be in the homeowners section?????:hammerhead:

saw man
02-23-2008, 01:12 AM
I swear this guy is drunk when he posts!

saw man
02-23-2008, 01:13 AM
whats the deal no truck? Do you have a buisness or should this be in the homeowners section?????:hammerhead:

He is a homeowner and asks the same questions OVER and OVER and OVER......................................... on MANY different forums!

yungman
02-23-2008, 01:21 AM
What is your problem Saw Man? Get your bud kick in real life and come here to talk tough again?

I ask what I ask, don't like it, bud out, nobody asking you, go to a bar near you and show how tough you are!!!!

Happy Frog
02-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Yungman,
All these guys are right: hiring someone to do this job once a year for you is the best solution.
If you insist of doing the job yourself, the best and cheapest way is to use a metal rake and a lot of water.
The method has many advantages. It is very quite and will not disturb your neighbors, you will get stronger and lose some fat and it is very ecological.
The method consist of de-thatching the lawn with the rake while drinking as much water as you can. It will be more effective than all the equipment you listed... :laugh:

ACA L&L
02-23-2008, 01:33 AM
Yungman,
All these guys are right: hiring someone to do this job once a year for you is the best solution.
If you insist of doing the job yourself, the best and cheapest way is to use a metal rake and a lot of water.
The method has many advantages. It is very quite and will not disturb your neighbors, you will get stronger and lose some fat and it is very ecological.
The method consist of de-thatching the lawn with the rake while drinking as much water as you can. It will be more effective than all the equipment you listed... :laugh:

or you can wait till u see a neighbor getting a power rake done and asked them to do yours at a discount since there already there.:weightlifter::weightlifter:

jdmcat
02-23-2008, 01:34 AM

rent a truck

yungman
02-23-2008, 02:00 AM
Yungman,

I guess metal rake it is, I do enough weights and exercise, that department is ok!!! The excess fat part......is not so ok!!!!:laugh::laugh:

Hey, how the hell you know I can loose some fat!!!!:laugh:

Happy Frog
02-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Easy to guess: you spend too much time in your garage taking those small engines apart and not enough using them... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

GravelyGuy
02-23-2008, 01:06 PM
I have used the little Honda tiller/dethatcher which is very similar to the Mantis and it worked very well for me. It would be good for a 4,000 sq. ft. lawn.

yungman
02-23-2008, 03:26 PM
I have used the little Honda tiller/dethatcher which is very similar to the Mantis and it worked very well for me. It would be good for a 4,000 sq. ft. lawn.

You use it for dethatch? You can control the speed of the tine by throtle so I can run the dethatcher slow?

yungman
02-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Easy to guess: you spend too much time in your garage taking those small engines apart and not enough using them... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:p:p:p

Exercise a lot don't imply loosing fat!!!!

GravelyGuy
02-23-2008, 03:31 PM
You use it for dethatch? You can control the speed of the tine by throtle so I can run the dethatcher slow?

I don't really understand what your asking, but yeah you can control the throttle to go slower. It pulls itself along and the slower you go the more thatch you can get out.

I made a metal piece that holds on with a bungy cord to keep from getting covered in dead grass.

Be prepared to get a lot of strange looks from neighbors.

saw man
02-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Another issues with using a cultivator for grass is the clippings. It throws grass around and gets stuck in the cylinder fins and over heats the engine. Thin you can kiss that $500 goodbye!

yungman
02-23-2008, 04:16 PM
I don't really understand what your asking, but yeah you can control the throttle to go slower. It pulls itself along and the slower you go the more thatch you can get out.

I made a metal piece that holds on with a bungy cord to keep from getting covered in dead grass.

Be prepared to get a lot of strange looks from neighbors.

So let me clarify....You use the Honda FG110 to dethatch before.

What I was asking is that you can control the throtle so the the tine turn slowly to avoid ripping the lawn apart and just do it slowly?

I don't quite get the piece of metal tied by bungy, is that to cover the engine fins to avoid stuff to clog up the fins?

Last question, so it does work.

Thanks

Regarding to neighbors, I have been helping them blowing their lawns (no charge) during fall, also as you get older, skin get thicker anyway!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I might just take up Happy Frog's suggestion and do the manual raking. That might be a good exercise!!!!

GravelyGuy
02-23-2008, 04:38 PM
So let me clarify....You use the Honda FG110 to dethatch before.

What I was asking is that you can control the throtle so the the tine turn slowly to avoid ripping the lawn apart and just do it slowly?

I don't quite get the piece of metal tied by bungy, is that to cover the engine fins to avoid stuff to clog up the fins?

Last question, so it does work.

Thanks

Regarding to neighbors, I have been helping them blowing their lawns (no charge) during fall, also as you get older, skin get thicker anyway!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I might just take up Happy Frog's suggestion and do the manual raking. That might be a good exercise!!!!

Yes, I have used the Honda to dethatch before.

Yes, you can control the throttle to go slower. It is obviously a light weight machine so it really doesn't do any damage. It did a good job in my experience with it. I have only used it twice for this. It would not be good for large areas.

The piece of metal just went across the back like a mud flap to keep the use cleaner.

GravelyGuy
02-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Ohh, and I would advise against doing it by hand. You'll have a heart attack lol. To do a good job this isn't even a reasonable option.

yungman
02-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Yes, I have used the Honda to dethatch before.

Yes, you can control the throttle to go slower. It is obviously a light weight machine so it really doesn't do any damage. It did a good job in my experience with it. I have only used it twice for this. It would not be good for large areas.

The piece of metal just went across the back like a mud flap to keep the use cleaner.

Thanks for the info, I am glad at least it is an option to consider. Also Echo has a multi tool dethatcher attachment so the motor is away from the tine.

Now you make me feel like taking on the charlenge of raking by hand!!!! I hand tilled 10'X15' hard soil in one shot before, I cannot immagine to be harder than that if I break it into different days.

randosh4
02-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Is this dude for real ?????

yungman
02-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Is this dude for real ?????

That do you mean!!! Raking or hand tilling?? You just take your time, not racing against time, just keep digging!!! I only have small lawn, 4000sqft I quote is very generous, this is bay area, nobody have big lawn unless you have a lot of money!!!

DuraCutter
02-23-2008, 11:54 PM

HEY GUYS.... stop the advice, it's not penetrating the intended target...too dense it seems...:laugh:

bigw
02-24-2008, 12:00 AM

I just bought a mantis and i would not call it a piece of junk!! I did not buy the dethatching attachment though just the tiller which i think is one bad ass machine for cultivating small flower beds, my soil is compacted clay and the mantis tore it up like hot butter :weightlifter:

yungman
02-24-2008, 12:11 AM
HEY GUYS.... stop the advice, it's not penetrating the intended target...too dense it seems...:laugh:

There are people that found mini cultivator useful in dethatching. You are just too closed mined to listen. I am not going to stop asking just because few rightious people like you said it is not going to work. Who do think I am, sucker?! Just because one or two people say no and I'll give up. If that is the way you operate, you'll be missing out in life.

Luckily there are plenty of people here that is a lot more open minded and more helpful than you.

I don't understand why some people here are so hostile!!!! Don't like the thread, don't respond. The nerve of you to tell other people not to respond, you think you own the site!!!!

Stop acting so uneducated and immature!!! Go sit in a corner!!!:laugh::laugh:

zanedog22
02-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Hey Yungman,

I just picked up a Mantis (echo version), and the dethatcher/aerator attachment. I'm going to use it this spring on our lawn, about the same size as yours. I can see no reason for it not to do a good job, besides, I get to go out and play with the power tools that way!

Best of luck to you, and I say "go for it", there is no consensus on the net anymore about anything. Try it out for yourself, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

yungman
02-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Hey Yungman,

I just picked up a Mantis (echo version), and the dethatcher/aerator attachment. I'm going to use it this spring on our lawn, about the same size as yours. I can see no reason for it not to do a good job, besides, I get to go out and play with the power tools that way!

Best of luck to you, and I say "go for it", there is no consensus on the net anymore about anything. Try it out for yourself, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

When are you going to try? For the moment the whether is really bad and I have been sick, no chance to try anything. Please keep us updated.

As for now, I am planning to take up Happy Frog's suggestion....Spent maybe half an hour hand raking it. That will give me a very good idea whether it is a good idea or not!!!!

Have you check out the hedge trimmer attachment that Mantis offer? That is one attraction of the Echo engine version.

Lastly, YES these are my toys......one that even have my wife's approval!!!....We used to pay to have the lawn done, now I am out there all the time!!! All these questions are about justification on spending money to buy toys!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I kept telling her, this cost a lot less than if I am into fancy cars!!!!

zanedog22
02-24-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm going to try this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qU7kUDcOhiU

zanedog22
02-24-2008, 05:58 PM
or maybe this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QMF255e0NzY

cgaengineer
02-24-2008, 06:09 PM
I have to dethatch my own lawn soon. Few ways I can go:
1) Buy Mantis with aerator & dethatch add on, which cost about $520.
2) Get a multi-tool with dethatch attachment. Since I want to buy a hedge clipper also, so I can do both. Problem is the dethatch attachment is very expensive.
3) Cheapest way is to get a lawn mower dethatch blade. But does it really work?

Anyone have experience with Mantis dethatcher? Any experience with the slit aerator?
What dethatcher blade to buy for my Troy Bilt TB836 21" mower?
Are those multi-tool hedge clipper and dethatcher any good?

Thanks

For less than $520 you can get a Bluebird dedicated power rake used from www.Powertradeus.com

Check out my thread about the power rake I purchased from them http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=217090

RAW
02-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Here's what I use..........
Quick 36
JRCO De-Thatcher

yungman
02-24-2008, 07:04 PM
For less than $520 you can get a Bluebird dedicated power rake used from www.Powertradeus.com

Check out my thread about the power rake I purchased from them http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=217090

Hey thanks for the info. This is too big for me as I live in city, I have problem storing my lawn mower as is!!! I like the place, I already put it on my favorite so I can go back. I have been looking for online equipment store, this is a very good one. Thanks.:drinkup::drinkup:

yungman
02-24-2008, 07:34 PM
I'm going to try this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qU7kUDcOhiU

I saw the video, why are people so against using Mantis/Honda mini tiller to dethatch? The video look fast and easy enough!!!!

There was a break in the rain just now and I did went out and try raking a patch. I can see it will take some time!!! But it is do-able. It will be easier than to get a truck and go rent a real one.

But the Mantis is something.....for those that don't think the Mantis will work, please watch the video and tell me what is wrong, maybe I am missing something!!!! I am not being sarcastic, I just don't know enough. It just look easy. Look like, do the dethatching first, then mow the lawn and let the mower pickup all the crap.

Thanks

Quick36
02-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Here's what I use..........
Quick 36
JRCO De-Thatcher

I need to put that picture up on our family photo album!

DuraCutter
02-24-2008, 10:58 PM
I saw the video, why are people so against using Mantis/Honda mini tiller to dethatch? The video look fast and easy enough!!!!

There was a break in the rain just now and I did went out and try raking a patch. I can see it will take some time!!! But it is do-able. It will be easier than to get a truck and go rent a real one.

But the Mantis is something.....for those that don't think the Mantis will work, please watch the video and tell me what is wrong, maybe I am missing something!!!! I am not being sarcastic, I just don't know enough. It just look easy. Look like, do the dethatching first, then mow the lawn and let the mower pickup all the crap.

Thanks

Ok, so if you like the Mantis, do it. You've wasted so much time discussing it over and over, you could have done it already.

Good luck bud...

zanedog22
02-24-2008, 11:02 PM
I am not being sarcastic, I just don't know enough. It just look easy. Look like, do the dethatching first, then mow the lawn and let the mower pickup all the crap.

Thanks

Hey Yungman,
Experience shall be a better teacher than this forum if you get out there and do it. It is still winter here, I look forward to seeing your results (I wish I could be out there doing my lawn!).

This is a Commercial Lawn Care Forum, these guys have tons of money and time invested in their businesses. They do a top notch job for profit. Able bodied people such as us can certainly do a great job without investing tons of money in equipment, and we can have fun doing it.

Again, the guys doing this for a living are not going to want to mess around with small equipment, they are in business to make money and feed their families. I'm sure you have knowledge in your field of expertise that many of us do not.

Good luck and have fun, you're enjoying yourself. Working on your lawn doesn't put bread on the table. It would be another matter entirely if it did.

yungman
02-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Ok, so if you like the Mantis, do it. You've wasted so much time discussing it over and over, you could have done it already.

Good luck bud...

talking here is half the fun!!!!*trucewhiteflag*

zanedog22
02-25-2008, 12:19 AM
talking here is half the fun!!!!*trucewhiteflag*

I think you mean Typing....

1993lx172
02-25-2008, 01:13 AM
tow behind dethatcher and lawn sweeper work for me and my yards

yungman
02-25-2008, 01:19 AM
I think you mean Typing....

You got me!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

yungman
02-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Guys, if you have time, watch the Mantis video. I can't get over how useful this little guy is. I think I would consider the one with Honda engine just because it is quieter and maybe more durable. Just have to wait a little, I already spent a lot lately on toys already!!

zanedog22
02-25-2008, 10:11 PM
I think I would consider the one with Honda engine just because it is quieter and maybe more durable. Just have to wait a little, I already spent a lot lately on toys already!!

I went with the two stroke. My dealer won't even sell the Hondas anymore. Something about leaking oil. I trust my dealer, I don't trust many salesmen, he knows his stuff. He also pointed out something interesting:

A two stroke is a cleaner engine.
why?
Four stroke oil is continually getting dirtier as soon as it is changed till the next time you change it.
Two strokes get a constant supply of clean lubrication.
Made sense to me.

No oil changes with a two stroke, woohoo!

Two strokes by and large have a higher output per cc as well.

Hondas have a name that is synonymous with quality to the average homeowner. My farmer buddy found out otherwise, he is on his third honda flight pump, each failed within 10 hours of operation. Maybe he was doing something wrong, just pointing out Hondas are not bulletproof like many believe. Their homeowner engines are not the same as the commercial engines. It's designed to a different price point. For what it's worth, the last Honda engine I looked at said Made in China on it.

Yung, forget about the two versus one ring debate. There is no consensus from any forum you've posted in. The echo engine is tried and true, it does what it was designed to do. It starts, burns gas and spins a shaft. Forget the 300 hour emissions rating, it doesn't mean much. I hope any engine I decide to purchase will last 300 hours. Just because another engine is rated at 50 hours doesn't mean the engine will fail after that, the manufacturer will not warrant the engine to pass an emissions test after this period. Does that matter to me? Not at this point in time.

The average person (not the pros one here, they know better), can't be expected to so much as start a flooded engine, let alone tune a carb. As soon as their machine won't start, they call it a POS and tell everyone who will listen how terrible it is.

I have a test for you Yungman. Without looking anything up on the net or looking at any manuals or anything, can you describe the proper way to start a typical two stroke and what to do if it floods? No cheating by looking anything up either!

Yung, this is a commercial lawn care site,. You WILL NOT be able to do the job that they do in the time that they do it. Can you do as good of a job in a longer time frame? Depending on your dedication, I say you can do better.

Look at the lists of equipment these people operate with. For the homeowners that don't have the time, temperament or willingness to learn, the Pros will come in and use all their skills to do a professional job and turn a profit at the same time, then they'll buy more equipment! That's their job, and they are good at it.

The animosity displayed towards you is because you are on these guys forum, Lawn Care Business Owners. This is their lively-hood, mess with that and people tend to get cranky. Thick skin will come in handy! You are not a Lawn Care Business Owner so you are viewed as being in the wrong forum, make sense?

Let me know which tiller you get, we can compare notes over the next 10 years i expect mine to last.

Later dude.

yungman
02-25-2008, 11:15 PM
I have a test for you Yungman. Without looking anything up on the net or looking at any manuals or anything, can you describe the proper way to start a typical two stroke and what to do if it floods? No cheating by looking anything up either!

Yung, this is a commercial lawn care site,. You WILL NOT be able to do the job that they do in the time that they do it. Can you do as good of a job in a longer time frame? Depending on your dedication, I say you can do better.

Look at the lists of equipment these people operate with. For the homeowners that don't have the time, temperament or willingness to learn, the Pros will come in and use all their skills to do a professional job and turn a profit at the same time, then they'll buy more equipment! That's their job, and they are good at it.

The animosity displayed towards you is because you are on these guys forum, Lawn Care Business Owners. This is their lively-hood, mess with that and people tend to get cranky. Thick skin will come in handy! You are not a Lawn Care Business Owner so you are viewed as being in the wrong forum, make sense?

Let me know which tiller you get, we can compare notes over the next 10 years i expect mine to last.

Later dude.

The way I start if it is cold engine, I close the choke, prime 10 times and pull, after 5 or 6 times if it still don't start, open the choke a little a pull again. As soon as it start, open choke half way. 10 seconds later, open all the way. So far it has been working for me. If the engine flooded, take off the filter, squeeze the throtle open and pull to start.

I never get to flooding point, Echo is harder to start, take 7 to 8 pulls. My Honda GX31, prime 10 times, close the choke, always one pull start, and hurry open the choke.

Honda GX engines on the Mantis is a try and true commercial grade engine. It has been around for a long time. All Honda GX series engines are commercial grade. The GCV or GCX are the low grade engines.

I am not familiar with lawn care in fact I hardly know anything about lawncare. But I hope I am knowledgable enough on gas engines( one can never say they know ), I am a gas engine freak!!! :laughing::laughing::laughing: Into model planes when I was young, cars when I grew up, now the small gas engines!!! I bought old gas engines on ebay and take them apart to learn, still trying to get all brands so I get to know their designs, strength and weakness.

My main thing is to convince my wife ( the boss) that I need one, then it will be all good.:laugh:

zanedog22
02-26-2008, 02:55 AM
Cool,
Sneak the Honda into the house and we'll compare notes.
later

Happy Frog
04-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Congrats!
You just revived a Zombie thread dead for a year... :hammerhead:
Yungman will be haunting you for the rest of your life... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

jsf343
04-01-2009, 06:58 PM
I cant believe I just read this thread clear to the end.:dizzy:

grass-smoker
04-01-2009, 09:02 PM
For every ones sake, this thread needs to be deleated and yungman shot!

I'm sending lawnsite an invoice for the 1/2hr of my wasted life.

cgaengineer
04-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Where has yungman been anyway...he has not posted since 5/21/2008...I kinda miss him.

Happy Frog
04-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Where has yungman been anyway...he has not posted since 5/21/2008...I kinda miss him.

He's haunting the guy who revived this thread... :laugh:
Funny thing is the post I responded to (had a video link to some kind of multi rake) was removed...
Hey Yungman! Leave this poor soul alone and get back here... :waving:

cgaengineer
04-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Yungman...are you out there? Come back...we miss you.

Yungman was like the BobbyGedd of homeowners, very entertaining.

jsf343
04-03-2009, 01:27 AM
Yungman...are you out there? Come back...we miss you.

Yungman was like the BobbyGedd of homeowners, very entertaining.

:laugh::laugh: anybody ever hear anything from Gedd? (this site or any others? didn't he get banned on this site?) I miss him too, that was some fun reading. :laugh: