PDA

View Full Version : Flatbed ?

Mowman
11-09-2001, 07:06 PM
Does one need a dual wheel truck for a flatbed or can a single rear wheel truck be used? All the flats I've seen are Dually's no single axle's that's the reason for the question. Hope you guy's don't think it's a STUPID question. Thanks for your help.

Mowman

stslawncare
11-09-2001, 08:12 PM
not stupid question at all.i have seen a few with out duals. let me put it to u this way, why not? tthe duals just alow u to put more weight on.

11-09-2001, 08:51 PM
"The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked" :cool:

Flatbeds on single rear wheel trucks are no problem - 2 of the 3 welding trucks at my work run singles.

As sts points out, the duallies are mainly there to increase cargo capacity. Depending on how wide the flatbed is, it might LOOK a little odd with single rear wheels but as for installation/general use - no problem. Just keep in mind that your GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) stays the same regardless of what style box/deck/body you go with.

stslawncare
11-09-2001, 09:08 PM
couldnt the flatbed lower the amount of weight u can handle because its heavier?

11-09-2001, 10:17 PM
Depending on how the deck is built, yes that's a possibility. However, unless you really go "mental case" and built a REAL heavy deck, the difference in weight/capacity shouldn't be a problem.

CT18fireman
11-12-2001, 05:46 PM
Beleive it or not Flatbeds can actually weigh less. Depending on how they are built (Aluminum). While there is an increase in capacity with duals most of the added weight ability is usually from the fact that cab & chassis trucks (duallies) have a different rear spring than SRW pickups. I would not hesistate to run a flatbed just be aware of the limits of the truck.

GLS
11-24-2001, 10:56 PM
Most the flatbeds I see are also dually's, but I have seen singles...they look funny cuz I hardely ever see em. I think that dually are also more stable and have wider decks. If you put a deck meant for a dually on a single, there would be a lot of space sticking out past the wheelbase, making it unstable.

Robert Doubrava
11-24-2001, 11:34 PM
I've seen mainly duallies, but i've also seen a lot of singles, too. I don't think it's a bad idea.;)

Pauls Mowing
12-09-2001, 06:51 PM
I'd stick to duals if the flat bed dumps. I have a 9' flat on mine, and the duals make it quite a bit more stable when the dump is up.

I've seen a few flats around here with singles on the rear, but none of them dump.

Paul

Shady Brook
12-09-2001, 11:26 PM
Has anyone converted a regular bed to a flatbed truck? Can anyone tell me what is involved? I am in for a new fabrication, but would consider purchasing a new deck. I assume I would have to move or alter the gas tank filler tubes, and I have two of them. Also if I go with an aluminum deck, will I need a special gas set up on a mig or a tig to do any welding, or can I get buy with a stick welder with special sticks. My last aluminum trailer required a mig, but that was a few years back.

Thanks

Jay

yorkpaddy
01-06-2002, 01:46 AM
is it possible to run duals, and take the extra wheels off at times of need. I'm thinking for plowing in particular, when you would want the smaller turning radius and narrower track. How hard is it to convert a 3/4 ton to a dually, i'm looking at 89-92 dodges with diesels, i think they had dana 70`s, same as in the 1tons, how hard is the conversion.

01-06-2002, 02:24 AM
Taking off the outside duals if needed is possible, and I have seen it done - though it does look a little "goofy"! :laugh: It's something you would want to do at the start of the plowing season and just leave 'em off IMO though.

I don't know my Dodges, so I can't say about them, I DO know that on the 73 - 87 Chev/GMC trucks it isn't possible to put duals on a single wheel rear axle because of the brake drums - dually drums on those trucks were more of a "bell" shape to clear the inside (reversed) rim, plus they had the wide shoes to help stop the extra weight those duals could carry.