PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheel steering on new Silverado.

casey
11-09-2001, 09:09 PM
Looks like a zero turn truck. Anyone ever driven one of these?

SCAPEASAURUSREX
11-21-2001, 03:47 PM
I havenot driven it , but I did see an add in a magazine for it.. Looks interesting.. But what happens if you do a panic turn?? Looks like a good way to get out of control real fast. or flip the thing..?? Do you know if it has a lock so that you can make it only turn when you want ??? or does it always 4 wheel turn>>??

odin
11-26-2001, 12:11 PM
CASEY
I havent driven one of these by ill try to get the union to get me some brosures on this truck .Ill let you know what i find out .I dont know anyone around me anywhere who has one

eskals
11-28-2001, 12:21 AM
I remember reading something about this some time ago. The 4 wheel steering will only activate in low speed conditions.

I wonder when this is susposed to debut. I read about it some time ago.

Eric

odin
11-28-2001, 12:30 AM
eskals

I keep my eye out on all things gm and chevy but i really dont know yet .Im gonna try to get some info

take care

Randy J
11-28-2001, 09:23 AM
The steering is just like the old Honda Prelude 4 Wheel Steering, in operation anyway. The rear wheels will turn the opposite way as the front, only to a much lesser degree, at slow speeds. This is done obviously to help park. At higher speeds, the rear wheels will turn the same way as the front, again to a much lesser degree. This is done to help cornering abilities - which I don't get, after all it's a PICKUP. At high speeds the amount the rear wheels turn will be minimal. Should really help in tight parking garages though. It's coming on pickups first, then will be adapted to the SUV's later.

Randy

odin
11-28-2001, 02:47 PM
Randy j

Thanks for the info ,I wonder how it will effect off road capibilty ?
although how many people really take a 30000$ truck off road

casey
11-29-2001, 07:09 PM
http://aftermarket.theautochannel.com/articles/2001/01/24/013351.html

Sounds like a good trailer pulling or plow truck option.

odin
11-29-2001, 07:15 PM
Casey

Looks like gm can still come up with something good
Thanks for the web page

cat320
11-29-2001, 09:28 PM
It's just another expensive part of the truck to fix when it breaks and it will probaly need more aligments or more expensive ones If every one new what was good for them they would stick with the old reliable way of steering. I can only see problems with this four wheel steering.

scottt
11-29-2001, 11:31 PM
cat320,
That type of thinking will keep technology where it is now and we will never have great new things. Yes there could be some problems, but there are always unforseen problems with new things. Things that were once revolutionary or different are now commonplace and reliable.

Doogiegh
11-30-2001, 12:22 AM
Hmm..
What would happen, if by chance, the 4 wheel turning system that is supposed to only be activated at low speeds, happened to get turned on during high speeds, like 70 mph? It's gotta be computer controlled... so the computer shorts out one day..

Does that mean a simple lane-change manuever becomes unexpected sumer-sault side-flips into the guardrail?? It's gotta do something REAL weird to the handling conditions IF it happened at high speeds..

Especially with the fronts going one way and the rears the other..

odin
11-30-2001, 12:23 AM
SCOTT
I agree with you partner

If you worried about high priced repairs and parts you never would have abs ,fuel injection etc
I applaude gm lately for getting on the ball with many new ideas like the avalanch and the cadalac cts and the escalade.
My opinion after the bugs are worked out this steering will be a good innovation

odin
11-30-2001, 12:34 AM
doogiegh

What ifs shouldnt keep innovative things from happening .
The what ifs could have said 50 yaers ago ,what if your transmission goes into gear when its not supposed to
That could do terrible things .The what ifs could have said i will just keep my horse those new fangled autos just might blow up, a horse will never, so ill keep my horse.
Im not trying to make light of your opinion ,my point is new things
have to be tested and tried.

casey
11-30-2001, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Doogiegh
Hmm..
What would happen, if by chance, the 4 wheel turning system that is supposed to only be activated at low speeds, happened to get turned on during high speeds, like 70 mph? It's gotta be computer controlled... so the computer shorts out one day..

What would happen if an air bag deployed? brakes failed? tire blew?
It's likely there is a safety shut-off & many safety checks integrated into the system.

odin
11-30-2001, 12:51 AM
Casey

partner you must have some scottish blood
because you think just like i do

cat320
11-30-2001, 09:35 PM
Well don't even go onto the subject of abs brakes.I hate mine and if there was an option not to get them I would not.I have come close to hitting more people with the braking system on my new truck than my old one.I really feel like pulling the sytem that I had to pay more for out.I think the 4 wheel steering is like the abs it's more for the people that are not realy good drivers and need more help to drive there cars.I mean pople have been doing good since the first car came off the assembelly line.And yes we do need to inprove cars and truck but some times I don't think that they inprove them in the right areas.What about making a car get 30-40-50 miles to the gal.They should be making better cars,more fuel effincent and less maintence.

Jim Creager
12-02-2001, 12:24 AM
You have to "learn your brakes". I had antilocks proven to me in a state police driving course. We were there to help if anything happened and they let us sit through the whole course.

When AL is working only 3 wheels are braking at a time therefore longer braking distance. What you have to do is learn where "lockup" is for your car or truck, and apply the brakes till just short of lockup which is where the antilocks start working.
This is the most effective your brakes can be PERIOD wether antilocks or convintinal.

The most fun we had was the "skid Pan manuver"
at speeds of 40, 50, 60, 70, AND 80 mph we hat to make a 90 deg right hand corner WHILE hitting the brakes hard in "panic braking"at the 45 deg point. on a closed airport runway that was being wet down with 50 gallions of dishwashing liquid and firehoses.In the car with non antilock brakes you lost control, and did a skid, it was fun, at least 1 time around at 50 mph, and several times at 80.

In the car with the antilocks you tracked just as the front wheels were pointed IN control at all times going where you wanted to go.

Lock up on slippery wet surfices is way different then on dry if it was dry ALL the time I wouldn't want antilocks either, but on wet slick roads where most accidents happen I want my antilocks.

Jim

12-02-2001, 01:36 AM
On the one hand, if it weren't for people being willing to think of and try new ideas, we skydivers would still be using round parachutes made from silk! :eek:

On the other hand, I'm a little reluctant to be in the first wave of consumers to try out some of these new ideas. Biggest problem I see with a lot of the newfangled "gizmos" is long-term durability, but since most people don't keep their vehicles THAT long that's not really an issue.