PDA

View Full Version : Avalanche or Silvey?

4 seasons lawn&land
02-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Wondering what people think the better way to go would be for a 2nd truck. I have an 07 Silverado 2500HD gasser, LT, standard cab, long bed. When my business gets bigger and I have the need for a 2nd truck I think I would like to get a half ton for a better compromise between work and personal use. Right now I use the 2500 for my only vehicle. I guess the Silverado 1500 would be a bit better work truck because the Av. only has a short bed but besides that how do they compare? I love the looks of the new Avalanche. The truck would be used for plowing and towing besides regular personal use.

4 seasons lawn&land
02-23-2008, 08:17 PM
actually, I couldnt fit a sander in the back of the avalanche could I? I guess I wouldnt get one then... to bad, they look great.

ProStreetCamaro
02-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Wait untill GM releases the diesel 1/2 ton and go with one of those.

4 seasons lawn&land
02-23-2008, 08:31 PM
what would the point of a half to diesel be? the chassis isnt heavy enough to tow the kind of loads a diesel is intended for.

J&R Landscaping
02-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Kick a$$ fuel economy for one thing though I agree with the towing issue. If thats what your choices are, the 2500hd gets my vote.

ProStreetCamaro
02-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Great fuel economy, great engine life and the truck will be rated to tow over 10,000 pounds plus the resale value will be higher. It wont be like a junkota turdra that claims over 10,000 pounds but in reality if you did that very often it falls apart.

barefeetny
02-23-2008, 10:01 PM
i don't even consider the avalanche a truck

might as well buy a honda ridgeline... imo they are not only fugly looking but something a suburban soccer mom or an IT guy would drive

the silvarado is at least a truck... allthough if chevy keeps building them like cars a half ton will be worthless soon..

i don't meet to crap in your cherrios but its a crying shame what they have done to the trucks of my youth..up untill 97 i wouldn't own a non chevy...

nosparkplugs
02-23-2008, 10:16 PM
If you can afford the intial investment I would go Diesel power, will tow anything you have the balls to hook up to. Even with the higher price of diesel per gallon, it has more energy per gal. Durmax diesel if your a Chevrolet fan.

Diesel fuel has a higher energy density than gasoline. On average, 1 gallon (3.8 L) of diesel fuel contains approximately 155x106 joules (147,000 BTU), while 1 gallon of gasoline contains 132x106 joules (125,000 BTU). This, combined with the improved efficiency of diesel engines, explains why diesel engines get better mileage than equivalent gasoline engines.

KTM
02-23-2008, 10:17 PM
I have noticed that the Avalanche's don't hold there resale as well as the silverado's do in my area. And I assume the avalanche cost more to begin with, so I would go for the silverado.

4 seasons lawn&land
02-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Im not considering getting a 3/4 ton, I already have one, and already chose gas. Diesel is a waste of money unless your towing heavy equipment very often and I only tow mowers. I want a half ton for a 2nd truck for better compromise between work use and regular use.

salopez
02-25-2008, 06:55 PM
do you really think a half ton will save you money? initial price is almost the same...then less sturdy parts to break. you will overload it....you will....
insurance might be higher on 1/2 ton due to more thefts.....i would not plow anything besides my drive with a half ton.

i say 3/4 av if you can find one...or if you must have a half ton get the diesel av whrn it comes out. curtis makes a 4foot vbox that you could put in it....but i am pretty sure there will be no plow prep on it.

4 seasons lawn&land
02-25-2008, 09:09 PM
wow I thought 3/4 tons were quite a bit more. It would be hard to buy a half ton for any type of work if 3/4 tons are not much more. I didnt really even look at 1/2 tons when I bought my 3/4 last summer which is why I wasnt aware of this.

KTM
02-25-2008, 10:00 PM
It's a tough decision, around here 3/4 tons cost more to insure but, that is such a little difference that it doesn't really matter. people always say never plow with A 1/2 ton But you see 1/2 ton's all over with plows and GM offers the prep on 1/2 ton's but, i think it might be only on regular cab's. A few years ago all the manufacturers offered light 3/4 ton's which would be perfect but, they don't seam to offer them anymore which is a shame.