PDA

View Full Version : Update on how im doing so far with accounts

bigw
02-24-2008, 12:25 AM
Well as you guys know this is my first year and as of 2 weeks ago i had like 3-4 accounts, well as of right now i am up to 14 accounts 8 spring clean ups,4 mulch jobs and 2 power washing jobs and i still haven't mailed out my 10,000 post cards yet.
I have gotten the majority of these accounts from a newspaper add that I've been running and 2 from my sign in my front yard as well as yesterday while plowing snow i landed 2- 35$ lawn accounts simply by asking 2 ladies that live right next door to each other.
I was referred to these ladies for plowing yesterday so i figured while i was their plowing id ask about lawn care and i landed both of them. My lowest account is one at 30$ and my highest is 110$,most are between 35-60$ all weekly.I also got 8 spring clean ups ranging from 50$ {my lowest} to 250$ my highest but most around 200$.
I cant believe how many calls I've been getting from the newspaper add, it may seem to early to some to run an add but you must remember one thing,it may be to early for the masses but for a few its not and those few have called me because i am the only LCO in my local paper right now.
In fact while at a house giving an estimate my phone rings and the guy says "hey ive been thinking about getting lawn care this year and your add was the only one i could find so i called you, can you come give me an estimate" I did and landed a postage stamp lawn "5000" sft for 30$ a week.
Anyway i haven't been on much lately so i just thought id share how i was doing for those that care, oh it finally snowed here in PA yesterday and i was out for 9 hrs and i made $1,782.00 which is a mere $192.00 an hr not to shabby huh? I used a half a tank of gas and a total of 17 #50 lb bags of salt at 3.90 a bag so you figure $50 for gas and $ 66.00 for salt = $116.00 subtracted from $1,716.00 = $1,600.00 or $ 177.00 an hr. I guess what i am trying to say here is i am doing really good so far and hope to keep the momentum going!!! :weightlifter:

customcurbdesigns
02-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Great work man, keep it up.

mowing grass 1111
02-24-2008, 12:48 AM
good job......

bigw
02-24-2008, 12:49 AM
thanks guys!

corey4671
02-24-2008, 12:56 AM
you da man

Whitey4
02-24-2008, 01:49 AM
Pretty cool bigW, sounds like things are moving along!

I don't have near the startup money you have to spend, but me and my measley door hangers (all hung by me) have done pretty well. I've got about 700 out, and have 6 new accounts, looks like it will be 8 by Tuesday. Only one isn't a full fert/weed/insect control with over seedings and aeration. In other words, just one is a mow and blow, although it looks like I can get a small tree removal from them. I'll bite the bullet this year, and hope for full apps next year.

Glad the cash flow is goin well with this last storm. I don't do the snow removal thing. On LI the equipment is just too expensive vs. annual snowfall amounts. Everyone and his brother has a plow.

Based on my projections, all I can say is get certified. My profit margin on that is 5X's what it is on maintenance so far. It's the add ons, the apps, aerations, dethatching Zoysia and overseeding that will make me profitable. Mowing is a virtual loss leader for me so far. These people want to see low weekly maintenance, but don't blink an eye at add on services.

Best of luck!

barefeetny
02-24-2008, 02:22 AM
big w

i was just thinking about you... ain't seen you on

ditto on that storm... its saving my @$$.. I think for once(knock on wood) i'm going to start the mowing season in the black..I am up at this point.....this last one had me nervous.... lots of frozen truck breakers out there from the last slush storm...Both trucks still safe and sound...

on the mowing/maintence end its still pretty slow for me.... I have the same accounts from last year and have been on an all out commercial blitz....in fact i havn't had a residental call in at least a month

I hardly have beeen on between the storm and the 8 very detailed bid proposals.. this week...between estimating them and the storm and trying to sell a few others it actually feels like more work then full tilt mowing season..

keep locking them down bro
i'd tell you good luck but i don't think you need it...

Nate

bigw
02-24-2008, 02:48 AM

I don't have near the startup money you have to spend, but me and my measley door hangers (all hung by me) have done pretty well. I've got about 700 out, and have 6 new accounts, looks like it will be 8 by Tuesday. Only one isn't a full fert/weed/insect control with over seedings and aeration. In other words, just one is a mow and blow, although it looks like I can get a small tree removal from them. I'll bite the bullet this year, and hope for full apps next year.

Glad the cash flow is goin well with this last storm. I don't do the snow removal thing. On LI the equipment is just too expensive vs. annual snowfall amounts. Everyone and his brother has a plow.

Based on my projections, all I can say is get certified. My profit margin on that is 5X's what it is on maintenance so far. It's the add ons, the apps, aerations, dethatching Zoysia and overseeding that will make me profitable. Mowing is a virtual loss leader for me so far. These people want to see low weekly maintenance, but don't blink an eye at add on services.

Best of luck!

going for my core and 07 lawn and turf testing this monday!!!

Big C
02-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Glad to see all is well...Good luck!!

Sal200
02-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Well as you guys know this is my first year and as of 2 weeks ago i had like 3-4 accounts, well as of right now i am up to 14 accounts 8 spring clean ups,4 mulch jobs and 2 power washing jobs and i still haven't mailed out my 10,000 post cards yet.
I have gotten the majority of these accounts from a newspaper add that I've been running and 2 from my sign in my front yard as well as yesterday while plowing snow i landed 2- 35$ lawn accounts simply by asking 2 ladies that live right next door to each other.
I was referred to these ladies for plowing yesterday so i figured while i was their plowing id ask about lawn care and i landed both of them. My lowest account is one at 30$ and my highest is 110$,most are between 35-60$ all weekly.I also got 8 spring clean ups ranging from 50$ {my lowest} to 250$ my highest but most around 200$.
I cant believe how many calls I've been getting from the newspaper add, it may seem to early to some to run an add but you must remember one thing,it may be to early for the masses but for a few its not and those few have called me because i am the only LCO in my local paper right now.
In fact while at a house giving an estimate my phone rings and the guy says "hey ive been thinking about getting lawn care this year and your add was the only one i could find so i called you, can you come give me an estimate" I did and landed a postage stamp lawn "5000" sft for 30$ a week.
Anyway i haven't been on much lately so i just thought id share how i was doing for those that care, oh it finally snowed here in PA yesterday and i was out for 9 hrs and i made $1,782.00 which is a mere $192.00 an hr not to shabby huh? I used a half a tank of gas and a total of 17 #50 lb bags of salt at 3.90 a bag so you figure $50 for gas and $ 66.00 for salt = $116.00 subtracted from $1,716.00 = $1,600.00 or $ 177.00 an hr. I guess what i am trying to say here is i am doing really good so far and hope to keep the momentum going!!! :weightlifter:

Good job landing all those customers very quickly. Im trying to get more customers and im thinking of sending each of my current ones referral letters with some business cards inside saying that i will give them 20 percent off their bill for each of their referrals. I also am thinking of putting an ad in one of the local papers, its a once a week paper and i have not seen any landscaper advertised in there, so im thinking of doing that in the coming months. Good luck to you.

Sal200
02-24-2008, 10:19 AM

Best of luck!
Whitey, I know you said your from Hicksville, but what towns do you work in. I make pretty good money doing weekly maintenance and my customers do not seem to have a problem with my prices.

Whitey4
02-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Whitey, I know you said your from Hicksville, but what towns do you work in. I make pretty good money doing weekly maintenance and my customers do not seem to have a problem with my prices.

So far every account is within a mile of my house... all in Hicksville. The set market price around here for 2 to 4k lawns is $20 to $22 for mow and blows! I have quoted a couple at $25, but most in that 20 to 23 range. I am matching prices and trying to sell higher quality service.

Once I get more established, I'll tweak those numbers up a little, but I could not survive in this market just mowing.These guys are doing volume, big crews. One guy has 5 houses right in my neighborhood and he's out of here in 45 minutes or less. My profits will come from a 5 fert app plan, a crabbgrass pre-M, two broadleaf weed contorls and spot praying, more apps as needed, like grub control, and aeration, mulching and over seeding. I'm getting some installations too. But, in order to sell all those extras, I have to price compete with these guys on mowing.

I planned to have a tight route like this. I won't drive 5 miles for one account. That's why I like the door hangers instead of broadly distributed ads. I walk right by houses I don't want. All of this was in my business plan from the beginning... full service accounts, tight routes. That drives everything I do. I'm buying a Quick 32 because of the gates. I only place ads in church bulletins and distribute door hangers. So far, it's working pretty well.

Sal200
02-24-2008, 12:22 PM
So far every account is within a mile of my house... all in Hicksville. The set market price around here for 2 to 4k lawns is $20 to $22 for mow and blows! I have quoted a couple at $25, but most in that 20 to 23 range. I am matching prices and trying to sell higher quality service.

Once I get more established, I'll tweak those numbers up a little, but I could not survive in this market just mowing.These guys are doing volume, big crews. One guy has 5 houses right in my neighborhood and he's out of here in 45 minutes or less. My profits will come from a 5 fert app plan, a crabbgrass pre-M, two broadleaf weed contorls and spot praying, more apps as needed, like grub control, and aeration, mulching and over seeding. I'm getting some installations too. But, in order to sell all those extras, I have to price compete with these guys on mowing.

I planned to have a tight route like this. I won't drive 5 miles for one account. That's why I like the door hangers instead of broadly distributed ads. I walk right by houses I don't want. All of this was in my business plan from the beginning... full service accounts, tight routes. That drives everything I do. I'm buying a Quick 32 because of the gates. I only place ads in church bulletins and distribute door hangers. So far, it's working pretty well.

So you have small houses. I have a couple of those 4000-5000sq properties where i charge 20 a week. I have 2 of those in sea cliff right across the street from each other and am done with both in a half hr. The rest of my houses are between 7000 and 12000 sq ft and i go between 30 and 50 a week for those.
I am going to get my pesticide license hopefully this year because i go to
farmingdale college for the horticulture-landscape development program(this is my last year) and im taking an entomology class and by completing this class i will be eligible to take the licensing exam so i dont have to complete the 30 hr course i just go straight to taking the exam. I cant wait to get the license, though so that way i can offer it to my customers and make more money. Right now 2 of my customers have Scotts spray stuff on the lawn but im hoping i can take that part of the business for myself and it would make sense to my customers to have only one person do everything.
Also, you asked me last week if i was going to the trade show at nassau colliseum, im going to go. My professor in school got all of us students to get in for free so i'll be there.

Whitey4
02-24-2008, 12:33 PM
So you have small houses. I have a couple of those 4000-5000sq properties where i charge 20 a week. I have 2 of those in sea cliff right across the street from each other and am done with both in a half hr. The rest of my houses are between 7000 and 12000 sq ft and i go between 30 and 50 a week for those.
I am going to get my pesticide license hopefully this year because i go to
farmingdale college for the horticulture-landscape development program(this is my last year) and im taking an entomology class and by completing this class i will be eligible to take the licensing exam so i dont have to complete the 30 hr course i just go straight to taking the exam. I cant wait to get the license, though so that way i can offer it to my customers and make more money. Right now 2 of my customers have Scotts spray stuff on the lawn but im hoping i can take that part of the business for myself and it would make sense to my customers to have only one person do everything.
Also, you asked me last week if i was going to the trade show at nassau colliseum, im going to go. My professor in school got all of us students to get in for free so i'll be there.

You still might want to consider the NSLGA 30 hour course. They know how to teach the test. There was one guy that just got his assoiates from Farmingdale in my class. If you join the NSLGA at that time, you get $50 off the course fee. In any case, I'd suggest joining, they have been extremely helpful to me. If you see a 50 year old clean shaven guy with white hair in a brown leather jacket and jeans at the conference... that will be me. I could give you some tips on the test. It's a new version... no aerial apps questions!

Maybe I'll bump into you...

timmac
02-24-2008, 12:33 PM
make sure you do the best high quality work on everything you do. this will land you alot. never cut corners. do it like its yours.

Sal200
02-24-2008, 12:43 PM
You still might want to consider the NSLGA 30 hour course. They know how to teach the test. There was one guy that just got his assoiates from Farmingdale in my class. If you join the NSLGA at that time, you get $50 off the course fee. In any case, I'd suggest joining, they have been extremely helpful to me. If you see a 50 year old clean shaven guy with white hair in a brown leather jacket and jeans at the conference... that will be me. I could give you some tips on the test. It's a new version... no aerial apps questions!

Maybe I'll bump into you...

Alright i'll look out for you.

Whitey4
02-24-2008, 03:39 PM
bigW,
Sorry for the hijack... best of luck on the test! Apps is where it's at! You will be taking the same CORE exam I did I believe.... but there are at least 3 different versions they use in each test session to prevent cheating. Know how to read a label, and how to figure out the AI per M for a half rate allpication. Some basics like figuring the sq footage of triangles and circles.

They will likely show you one property with a driveway, etc, and ask you to get the turf sq footage. They might ask a question about supervision of an apprentice using an RUP on school grounds... stuff like that. The category test is not as easy, but at least it's open book. You won't have the time to look everything up, so knowing that the cross section of a sedge stem is triangular and some of the simpler stuff like that is good to know without having to look it up. If you have attacked this the way you do everything else, you'll have no problems! Good luck!