PDA

View Full Version : car

lsu03
02-24-2008, 01:49 PM
is it possible to run a lawn service with a car while still having class?(if you know what i mean)

lawnpro724
02-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Yeah, just call yourself hillbilly lawncare or real redneck lawn care. You can,I know someone who does but it doesn't look professional and after talking with him last year he said he can't seem to get into the areas we take care of. I wander why? He can only get into the poorest areas where there is little if any money to be had.

jdmcat
02-24-2008, 02:04 PM
you can use a car to mow lawns, there is a kid running around here with an older impala and a 5x8 trailer. if i were you though, i would try to find a good used truck. most older fullsize chevys and fords are around $500-$1000 in my area.

lsu03
02-24-2008, 02:05 PM
my parents would give me the car. i have already tried to get them to consider buying me a truck but they say the want a vehicle that gets good gas mileage.

Landrus2
02-24-2008, 02:06 PM
How are you going to tow.:waving:

lawnpro724
02-24-2008, 03:18 PM
my parents would give me the car. i have already tried to get them to consider buying me a truck but they say the want a vehicle that gets good gas mileage.

If they are wanting something with good gas mileage then have them get you a little Ford Ranger 4 cyl or Chevy S10 4cyl they both get good mileage and would be much better than a car.

barefeetny
02-24-2008, 03:23 PM
buy your own truck

if you want to be in buisness... think of it as a nessacary expense...

its impossible even with room on the trailer to effectivly do the job

what if someone wants a few yards of mulch, has yards of leaves to remove...

i say a cheap used mini truck is tons better then a car even if it is free...

just my .02

Nate

Whitey4
02-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Yup, get a small P/U, even if it's a little long in the tooth. Where will you put a small mower, edger and blower? Not all in a car's trunk, that's for sure.

Valk
02-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Have seen some work out of hatchbacks...or small station wagons. While this would make one self-contained and more secure than an exposed trailer for those times attending school...it also seems like there would be a lot of dust and fumes.

jdmcat
02-24-2008, 04:16 PM

i bought an '86 toyota pickup for $500 that gets over 20 mpg. like i said it can be done with a car but you're much better off with a truck.

topsites
02-24-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't think you should jump from the cradle straight to owning a business, in this world you have to know how to walk first, why should I even bother with you when in 2-3 years lord only knows where you'll be?

You've got a long ways to go, matter of fact so do all the rest of the teenage wannabe business owners.
And sorry about the tone (not really) because I'm tired of it.

So I suggest you get a part-time job working for someone else... If grass cutting turns you on then I'd suggest working for another Lco, otherwise restaurants and grocery stores are a good choice as well, not to mention the car will get you to-from.

lsu03
02-24-2008, 04:40 PM
i have to bring me two siblings to school every morning so i need a vehicle with a back seat.

LushGreenLawn
02-24-2008, 09:55 PM
The answer to your question (everyone has said it in a different way) is NO.

You cannot look professional with a car pulling a trailer. You would be much better off with an older truck.

If you can spend the money it takes to start a business (I hope you are not just young and nieve and think you can buy everything you need, Insurance, Licensing, Advertising, Equipment, Repairs, office supplies, ect with no start up capital) than you can buy a $1000 truck.

PlatinumLandCon
02-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Its like starting a web design business but only using the library computers, not buying your own. A truck is a MUST. Get a tacoma, ranger, s-10 for $1500-2000 and you're golden.

lsu03
02-24-2008, 11:20 PM
i may be able to use my mom's expedition(5.4L) to pull a trailer after school and during summer and she could use the car. just thought of that.

PlatinumLandCon
02-24-2008, 11:22 PM
i may be able to use my mom's expedition(5.4L) to pull a trailer after school and during summer and she could use the car. just thought of that.

That makes sense. Nothing wrong with that, people have used Jeeps and other SUVs before.

LawnCareNoobie
02-24-2008, 11:32 PM
i have to bring me two siblings to school every morning so i need a vehicle with a back seat.

Why do you have to bring siblings to school? Make them ride the bus or walk to school. I have older siblings, and they never gave me a ride to school when they were able to drive there. I had to wait my turn when I was old enough to drive myself.

lsu03
02-24-2008, 11:42 PM
haha lawncarenoobie. are you kidding? i'm a nice older brother.

anyway they dont get up early and ready fast enough to catch the bus. we live 10 miles away too so no walking.

tennesseelawnguy
02-25-2008, 01:55 AM
if ya want to start out cheap, do it right. get a used hatchback, find an old reel type mower at a garage sale,use a sharp pair of scissors as a trimmer,( oh hell splurge and buy 2 pr of scissors) and carry an extension cord and a hairdryer for a blower.make sure the dryer has different speeds to help if the grass sticks to the pavement.work your butt off for this season and if you still want to run your own biz you can upgrade next year from all the profit you made. sorry didnt mean to be a smart*** but i just couldn't help myself.

SILVERSTREAK INC
02-25-2008, 01:59 AM
get a ford taurus wagon, theres a guy around here with his 5x10 trailer hitched up to it

i also seen a band of black guys doing mulch out of a taurus wagon in a neighborhood, i had to watch so i parked up and had lunch before unloading to mow....neat stuff....

but yeah id go with what everyones sayin and get a ranger with a stick, cant go wrong

Weekes
02-25-2008, 02:48 PM
If it is a real problem try window washing they wont care whether you drive a car or truck. You can do one level residential and a lot of business that are on level you use telescoping rodes to reach second level. Good money in windows and startup costs are less.

jdmcat
02-25-2008, 04:06 PM

wow, they're worried about gas mileage and they drive an expedition?

lsu03
02-25-2008, 05:37 PM
got it for like $4000 from my grandparents with 15000 miles on it, leather and all. they dont see the point of me running up the gas bill just going to school and practices jdmcat.

Phil's Lawn Care
02-25-2008, 06:47 PM
YOU running up the gas bill? Don't you pay for your own gas. Geez must be nice having your parents buying everything for you. Buy a small truck and a 5x8 or 6x10 trailer. You'll understand in the long run

lsu03
02-25-2008, 09:02 PM
i work with my dad year round for free on our rice/crawfish/soybean farm, well not during school days but you know. i dont get paid so they pay for pretty much everything for me, soon to be car and gas, eating out with friends(seldom), sports stuff, ect.

my parents are not rich my any means either, just average, or maybe the lower end of the middle class.

J&R Landscaping
02-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Not to change the subject, but a car or truck won't cut grass. Do you have any accounts as of yet? Any equipment? Do you know what equipment you can afford? What about all the other misc stuff and then the legal aspect to it. It sounds like working for someone may be your best bet for this season. Save some cash up and then go at it then.

The way your presenting your case, it seems as if your trying to push an 18 wheeler up a hill by yourself... JMO

lsu03
02-26-2008, 08:21 AM
i was planning on working for someone this year and start up next year. but i turn 16 this summer and was just wondering about the vehicle.

JJofNJ
02-26-2008, 10:05 PM
the best way i found to get equipment and the cheepest way is get the mowers and stuff people throw out its free and they are not too hard to fix with basic knowleg of how they work last year i picked up a commercial 21'' lawnboy someone down the street threw in the garbage and all that was needed to fix it was a new spark plug

lsu03
03-14-2008, 09:02 AM
my parents wont even let ME buy a truck or them buy it and i pay for the gas. they just dont understand....

Valk
03-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Sounds like they may have higher hopes for you, yomsain?
Some here love this business and have a true passion for it. Some here are just doing it to get by... Likely no one HERE completely hates this job...so, there is a bit of an online bias - requiring a grain or two of salt.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-14-2008, 12:37 PM
lsu - if you need to use a car for a year to haul your trailer/equipment then go for it. You have to start somewhere - the only concern I have (like others) is towing capacity on the car, make sure you don't overload.

If it is encouragement - I am using my Ford Escape to pull my 5x8+equipment this season. I do not have a p/u in the budget and would like to use some of this years earnings to go toward a truck possibly. Don't overextend yourself just because others say you have to have a truck.

Budget
03-14-2008, 01:39 PM
ISU,

There are two kinds of people in this world.

People that talk about things that will happen, and People that make things happen.
You have to decide which one you are going to be.

My parents never bought a car for me or paid my insurance, i bought my first car about a two month before i turned 16. i worked my but off at IGA, and helped my pop who owned a welding business.

Try to do it yourself, cause mommy and daddy wont always be there to hold your hand.

kleankutslawn
03-14-2008, 03:30 PM
not professional at all

capnsac
03-14-2008, 03:31 PM
good luck
-capnsac

lsu03
03-14-2008, 07:10 PM
budget. if i had to i would gladly pay for everything myself. i do not like to be babied. dont get the wrong impression...

topsites
03-14-2008, 07:14 PM

Yeah you might wanna check with mom first thou heheh

Look, seriously, why not get a part time job and save your money so in a few years you can do it the right way, now that's saying it nicely.

Because a ruined automatic transmission will set you back as much as a truck is going to cost, and if it's a stick then I hope you're good at replacing clutches... Cars just aren't made for it, I ruined the tranny on a Ford Thunderbird pulling my 6x12 EMPTY from the dealer to my house, maybe 10 miles...
Seemed like a strong car at the time, what with a 5.0 V-8 and all I didn't think much of pulling a puny 1,000 pounds, but one stupid moment on my part and that car was never the same again... I had to sell it because of that and I took a big loss, it could not be driven long-term anymore.

As for looks, you're as well off riding your bicycle around the hood and using the home owner's own mower.
Now there's an idea, it's not professional but the money's all about the same, if you wanted to do that.

lsu03
03-14-2008, 07:27 PM
cant do that in our subdivision topsites because there is an established lco on the other side of the neighborhood and my mom said it wouldnt be fair to him. oh i thought of that though.lol