PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Or Bi-weekly?

leaf man
02-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Hey guys,
im just starting out in this business and i bought a client list from a guy with 75 accounts,and 25 of the accounts are bi-weekly. I really want to be a weekly only service....should i get rid of the bi-weekly people,and try to grow the weekly clientele,or is it worth sticking with the bi weekly group and hope they morph into weekly contracts?
thanx a lot for the feedback!

topsites
02-24-2008, 04:59 PM
I think you better hang on to every last one of them, goddamn lol you better do a good job, too.

leaf man
02-24-2008, 05:09 PM
i have a lot of experience,just never owned my own business...but what happens if i get more weekly clients and i cant handle the load,then i have to dump people,which isnt fun....isnt it better not to start with them then to possibly have to dump them?

barefeetny
02-24-2008, 05:24 PM
find 25 more bi weeklys and then scheduling isn't an issue

i don't have anymore bi weeklys... don't listen to me

Edge08
02-24-2008, 08:33 PM
I would phase out the bi-weeklys by raising prices on them. They need to pay for the inconvenience you will have. Have a personal conversation with them so they understand why you need to charge more for bi-weekly service, and at the same time show them the value they will get by going to weekly service.

In my market I find that bi-weekly customers do not give any long-term value in the form of referrals and upsells. So they should not be in your long-term plans.

lawn dogg
02-24-2008, 09:11 PM
find 25 more bi weeklys and then scheduling isn't an issue

i don't have anymore bi weeklys... don't listen to me

man how do you guys convince these coustomers to go weekly,Ive got 85 accounts and 75% are biweekly and Ive tried for years to get them to go weekly. Most are elderly and set in thier ways and think its ok to go 2 weeks no matter what it looks like, and are not concerned how long it takes or how hard its on my eguipment,just wondering how to comvince them without dropping them since we have to eat too.

lifetree
02-24-2008, 09:22 PM
I think you better hang on to every last one of them, goddamn lol you better do a good job, too.

I thought profanity like this wasn't allowed here on LS ... I do find it offensive !!

lifetree
02-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Since you're just starting out, I think the suggestion to hang on to all of your clients is very good advice !!

barefeetny
02-24-2008, 10:24 PM
i converted 2 and dumped 14

they can't be convinced

CrownlawnCare
02-24-2008, 10:39 PM
I would raise the price to match what you need to cover your expenses. (you cant do it for a loss) Hang on to as many as you can as it gets to be tougher to find good paying customers and profit to match. That my 2 cents

Carolina Cuts
02-24-2008, 10:47 PM
you're new.... keep em' for now.

I personally will cut anything, anytime, anywhere. I'll make it work with my schedule, just pay me.

sandman23
02-24-2008, 10:48 PM
I could not get away with weekly only accounts. I actually have three different mowing schedules; a bi-weekly, a weekly, and a combination bi-weekly during slow season and weekly during peak season. They are 23, 32, and 40 cut schedules. People are eating up the combo deal. They like a choice. It is a little hard to schedule and peak season is very busy but like I said, it works.

TomberLawn
02-24-2008, 11:54 PM
I would keep the bi-weekly. That could be a point of differentiation, or unique selling proposition in marketing terms. Most guys won't talk to bi-weekly customers, so they are yours for the taking. Like someone else said, just balance out the bi-weekly with more bi-weekly. Unless you are bagging, there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference in work. You can probably charge a few dollars more since you'll have more trimming, etc, but a lot of customers, especially in fear of a recession, will want to cut back on unnecessary spending (like getting the grass cut). All but a couple of my customers are bi-weekly. Last year, in the drought, even two of the weekly yards were cut back some because there was absolutely nothing to cut and I would have been blowing up a lot of dust. Sandman23 is right--people like a choice. Offer what they want and they'll be good for you.

ecoYota
02-25-2008, 03:43 PM
GeezMon! I'd be so happy with that amount of customers, I honestly wouldn't care how often they needed my service. I think lessons in life definitely come through experience, so since you're just starting out, I figure you'll learn very much by hanging in there & seeing what really does work.

Your intentions will manifest the way you want them to, imho, you really just have to be patient and most definitely thankful.

So much great luck I bid to you & have fun =)

barefeetny
02-25-2008, 03:53 PM
in my experience

bi weekly customers are just cheap at least 90% of them are.... no other reason not to get the same service on a as needed weekly service....

i just double their price and if they can't see the light.... then call one of the other mow and blow lcos....... i have plently of time but not the ambition to serve customers like this.....by the second week i don't my name asscoiated with the unkept feild in your front yard.....

i converted a few but most are unreasonable......

hackitdown
02-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Give the customer what they ask for. But charge accordingly. If it takes longer to cut a lawn after 2 weeks, charge the customer a fair price which reflects the extra work/time.

Maybe offer a price like this: "It'll be $40 for weekly, or $60 for bi-weekly". The customer will save $40 every 4 weeks, and you have time to take on another bi-weekly customer. On two $60 bi-weekly customers, you will gross $240/mo. On one $40 weekly customer, you will gross $160/mo.

That said, in this area, in May and June, it is weekly no matter what.

kleankutslawn
02-25-2008, 10:09 PM
i don,t see the problem.if you r in a certain area on certain days,one week you may cut 20,next week 16.you r already in the area

georgiagrass
02-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Keep the bi-weeklies, but continue to seek out weekly customers. As you begin to fill up your schedule with weekly customers, weed out the bi-weeklies (slow payers first!). Give them the option to become weekly before you drop them. If you are concerned about dropping them, find another LCO in your area to whom you are willing to refer them.

greenbaylawns
02-26-2008, 11:47 PM
you're new.... keep em' for now.

I personally will cut anything, anytime, anywhere. I'll make it work with my schedule, just pay me.

Ya what he said. We have weekly, 10 day, bi weekly, and vacation.

Dave_005
02-27-2008, 08:43 AM
i have a lot of experience,just never owned my own business...but what happens if i get more weekly clients and i cant handle the load,then i have to dump people,which isnt fun....isnt it better not to start with them then to possibly have to dump them?

if you get more then you can handle then HIRE someone to work with you.

Landrus2
02-27-2008, 08:55 AM
What are these guys paying you bi- weekly. is it have of the full month,
We hade two customers that wanted b-iweekly and our charge was the same full month.:waving:

Dave_005
02-27-2008, 10:15 AM
What are these guys paying you bi- weekly. is it have of the full month,
We hade two customers that wanted b-iweekly and our charge was the same full month.:waving:

i dont do to many bi-weeklys as they are simply a pain but when i do accept a bi-weekly account i add an extra 50% to the price