PDA

View Full Version : Post-Purchase Reassurance

pete scalia
02-24-2008, 08:58 PM
You've just sold a large job and walked away with a healthy deposit check

What are you doing right after the sale, if anything to make sure your customer doesn't get buyers remorse.

lifetree
02-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Making sure I cash the check as fast as Ii can so he can't put a stop payment on it ... LOL !!

pete scalia
02-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Making sure I cash the check as fast as Ii can so he can't put a stop payment on it ... LOL !!

Good point , but besides that. Even after cashing the check in NY state the buyer has 72 hours to cancel without penalty if you make the sale in their home. Some crazy home improvement laws set up by the department of consumer affairs to protect the public from unscrupulous contractors.

What are you doing to prevent second thought on their part, if anything?

Az Gardener
02-24-2008, 09:41 PM
This may sound like a joke but I am serious. Give them an out. Make sure this is what they want to do. I use a technique called reverse sales where I sound like I am trying to talk people out of buying from me. :dizzy: I point out that its a lot of money I ask them if they are really getting value for their money "Yes that will look better but is it really worth an additional 400 to light this one tree?"

Peoples natural response is to do exactly the opposite of what you as a sales person are offering. So use this to your advantage don't fight human nature. This is a proven sales technique taught at the Sandler Sales Institute. Of course there is a lot more to it and it works well. When you leave with a deposit you can be sure it is a done deal.

pete scalia
02-24-2008, 11:41 PM
I point out that its a lot of money I ask them if they are really getting value for their money "Yes that will look better but is it really worth an additional 400 to light this one tree?"

Why in the world would you want to reinforce a negative thought in a prospects mind? I've been taught to acknowledge but never support an objection that is unless you truly do think it's not right for them.
You tell them that it's alot of money for an extra light and question them as to it's value?
Don't you think this undermines your doctor patient relationship?

What would you recommend an extra light for and then put doubt into a prospects mind as to whether they will get value from it?

I just don't understand this reverse psychology. I would think that if your prospect trusted you that you wouldn't need to use reverse psychology. If trust is missing from your relationship there is going to be a very rough road during the install and rest of the relationship.

Also the fact that you are saying that it's alot of money is imposing your opinion on the prospect. What may be expensive to you may not be to them and vice versa.

I respectfully disagree with this tactic.

Az Gardener
02-25-2008, 12:07 AM
I respectfully disagree with this tactic.

Human nature at work. Ok I don't blame you. I don't use every technique I am taught just the ones that work for me. So try this technique or some variation of it whatever you feel comfortable with next time you have a demo or appointment that is not going your way. Just another tool to have in your bag.

I know it sounds stupid but it works.

Not all prospects are going to trust you. Show them how good the light looks then take it away from them, see how fast they want it back. Then they are buying, you wont have to sell. I don't have a Dr. patient relationship, but that souns like a different sales technique.

pete scalia
02-25-2008, 12:28 AM
Human nature at work. Ok I don't blame you. I don't use every technique I am taught just the ones that work for me. So try this technique or some variation of it whatever you feel comfortable with next time you have a demo or appointment that is not going your way. Just another tool to have in your bag.

I know it sounds stupid but it works.

Not all prospects are going to trust you. Show them how good the light looks then take it away from them, see how fast they want it back. Then they are buying, you wont have to sell. I don't have a Dr. patient relationship, but that souns like a different sales technique.

I agree with your last message the takeaway selling part which is that people typically want what they can't have

Team-Green L&L
02-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Pete, this is a great thread. I hadn't put a lot of thought into this subject. I will have to sit down and ponder on this for a while, but I will keep my eyes glued to this thread.

Pro-Scapes
02-25-2008, 09:09 AM
If they want out before I order materials or lay expenses out of pocket so be it. I have never had a client back out. Not sure if its because I put my clients at ease that I will not accept final payment until they are completly happy or if.........?

It's not for everyone. I make that clear during the consult. Our systems are for thoes who want value and something special they wont get with one of the big landscape firms who also toss in lighting. If I have already ordered materials or used the deposit twoards the project in someway but someone wanted to back out they would get a refund prorated against the work/expenses already incured.

If someone does not want my systems I do not want to install them. No need for sour grapes.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-25-2008, 09:21 AM
I would think that if you are doing your job properly this issue would never come up. I have never had a client "want out" after the contract is signed. Usually my clients are very excited and filled with anticipation.

I would be rather shocked to have a client sign a contract for 10's of thousands of dollars, only to 'change their minds' shortly thereafter. If it were to happen before materials were procured, then I suppose I would hand them their money back and walk away. If the materials are on hand, then I would create an "exit agreement" have them sign it, keep the 50% deposit to cover my expenses, and walk away.

If you are at risk of this situation ocurring, I would suggest you do a better job of qualifying your clients and selling them what they need, want and desire.

NightScenes
02-25-2008, 11:22 AM
This has never happened to me, not that it couldn't. I would have to agree with Billy though. If a client did change their mind within a reasonable amount of time (72 hours sounds pretty good), I would give them their money back minus any expenses that I had already incurred. I usually will order materials on the same day, or the next so they might end up owning some fixtures (at full retail plus delivery).

irrig8r
02-25-2008, 12:40 PM
This has never happened to me, not that it couldn't. I would have to agree with Billy though. If a client did change their mind within a reasonable amount of time (72 hours sounds pretty good), I would give them their money back minus any expenses that I had already incurred. I usually will order materials on the same day, or the next so they might end up owning some fixtures (at full retail plus delivery).

In California, three days right to cancel is built into contracts. You can also only collect 10% or $1,000.00 at signing, whichever is less. That's why I don't usually order or deliver materials until after that time.

Progress payments are looser though... so I usually get a second payment upon delivery of materials.

Chris J
02-25-2008, 08:52 PM
I really don't know what the big deal is. Things happen in people's lives unexpectedly, so if someone had to cancel on me after materials were ordered I would just use the materials on another job later. Although this is something I don't expect will ever happen, I don't see where I would be that much out of pocket to risk jeopordizing a possible future client by not being reasonable. So what if I went through the process of ordering materials? Can I not use them on the next job? No big deal, I'll just wait for them to tell their neighbor how we are understanding and easy to deal with.

Eden Lights
02-26-2008, 12:12 AM
I always get 10% at contract signing, but I always tell clients that they can do anything they wish along the way: add, takeway, and etc. I want them to feel comfortable, then it's my job to make it right.