PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a fixture

Desertdweller
02-24-2008, 10:37 PM
First want to say you guys have been a great source of info. Thanks! Been doing irrigation for 30 years and it's finally time to get serious about this light stuff. I have a customer who wants to light a walk but doesn't like the normal pathlights. He doesn't like the way they stick up in the air. Is there a light that will light a walk but does it from a low angle. Almost like washing the walk.

I've also seen a couple pots that are made to hide lights in them. Is there a distributor for these as well as rocks made to hide lights. With the desert landscaping they would really be handy.

Thanks for any help.

NightScenes
02-25-2008, 07:46 AM
How about art with lights? There are some really nice fixtures out there that a client would see as art more than a light fixture (see attached). There are also some fixtures that are very low profile like the Nightscaping Integaliter.

Pro-Scapes
02-25-2008, 07:52 AM
First want to say you guys have been a great source of info. Thanks! Been doing irrigation for 30 years and it's finally time to get serious about this light stuff. I have a customer who wants to light a walk but doesn't like the normal pathlights. He doesn't like the way they stick up in the air. Is there a light that will light a walk but does it from a low angle. Almost like washing the walk.

I've also seen a couple pots that are made to hide lights in them. Is there a distributor for these as well as rocks made to hide lights. With the desert landscaping they would really be handy.

Thanks for any help.

Is there anywhere to downlight it from ? Tall trees or the house ? If you hide a copper path amoung plants or rocks they can often blend in. I agree with paths just haphazzardly installed all over the place sticking up. not good.

Desertdweller
02-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys, since there weren't any other posts does that mean no one makes that type of light?

JoeyD
02-26-2008, 09:38 AM
There are companies that do make rock lights. They are failry cheesy looking but thats just ones opinion. Billy made a good suggestion of downlighting or you could try some reflective spilllighting if there is anything int he area to uplight. You would be surprised at the ambiant light you get on a path. Experiment with palcement, if it is a path that is out all alone then you are in a bit of pinch.

NightScenes
02-26-2008, 10:01 AM
I don't think you'll find anyone on this forum suggesting cheezy rock lights. They just don't make one that is worth a !@#$.

klkanders
02-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Joey is right. The "Rock" lights look cheap. I have a customer that had one installed previously and wanted another to replace it as the lamp housing and socket disintegrated. I did it but informed them the same would happen again. Also I doubt if the lamp adjustment would angle down enough to light a path as they are primarily angled on the rock to uplight.
As Paul mentioned the Nightscaping Integralighter is low enough to do the job you want it to do. I personally would rather see a few sporadic nice pathlights installed off the walk amongst landscaping then something that could be a tripping hazzard. IMO

This sounds like something that would be worth demonstrating if you could get a few of these mentioned fixtures and show them the effects. I still think people visualize path lighting to be the cheap plastic kits that line both sides of a walk. Go change this perceived notion. Good Luck!

klkanders
02-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Amen brother Paul! :)