PDA

View Full Version : Want to star a weekend business....

levithan9
02-25-2008, 12:48 AM
Hi all...

I've been reading quite a bit and finally got registered here.

I wanted to start a busines since last year. I have been blessed to work at a construction company where i have a HOME DEPOT credit card and can purchase items here and there and work off the cost of the equipment that i purchase. I also had the fortunate...or unfortunate, however you look at it, of being in a wreck that netted $7,000 for some dumb a*& teenager speeding in the rain last year.

Here is what I have:

2 echo blowers...........1 is a PB265 25 cc and the other is a PB 413 45cc
2 Trimmers......1 is a Craftsman, the other is a TORO....both are split shaft
1 Lawnboy Sens-a-speed self propelled mower
1 Honda HRX 217 mulcher, also self propelled
1 Honda powered gas pressure washer...4000 PSI
and a 4x6 utility trailer

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 single cab truck that i have for a daily driver.

Also have some brooms, bags, and most of the various stuff needed for lawn care.

I have become more and more dis-satisified with my job. For the amount of work that i do, $400 a week just does not pay the bills. But i can't quit my job, as i need an income coming in, and I have child support to pay and all the crap that comes into play with daily life.

Maybe i'm making excuses for not taking the plunge...maybe i just need a little encouragement. But when i can't buy my son a toy for being good (he's 2 years old) because it's not in the budget, it hurts. Can this be done on just a weekend? need some help. What am i missing. I would be a 1 man show for a while. Pleaae give me some input.

Thanks in advance.

farmerkev
02-25-2008, 12:51 AM
I would also like if I could make it a weekend deal. Sounds like you have a good start.

Raven386
02-25-2008, 01:29 AM
1) you need bus. insurance.
2) you need to start advertising soon to get some customers...

you have the equipment. maybe look into getting the lawn care success package offered by SeanAdams. I heard it has some helpful info in it. people have started with less so you're doing good there.

barefeetny
02-25-2008, 01:55 AM
working weekends and part time is a good idea if you can't afford to take the plunge full time...

your expenses for insurance don't change.... maybe a little depending on state and company....

it also allows you to get your feet wet without the risk of drowning....

on a side note: it may hurt you not to buy your child a toy... it matters much less to him... A fathers love and attention is more of a gift then anything plastic injected molded and covered in lead paint.....I have a allmost 2 year old girl and a 6 month old boy.. the biggest accomplishments in my life hands down....

good luck and if you need some advice... shoot me a p-m... I started solo and kept costs way down and made out just fine

Nate

levithan9
02-25-2008, 02:14 AM
In the Houston area....where would I go to ask about insurance for this business??

Raven386
02-25-2008, 02:20 AM
most ins. companies offer business ins. 500K liabilty would be okay, 1 mil would be better. even if you are just doing it on the weekends, just because you are mowing saturday doesnt mean you cant hurt someone with a rock being thrown from the mower.

barefeetny
02-25-2008, 02:28 AM
theres a lot of tx boys on here...

on the top of the main page there is a search feature... plug in insurance and read up.... thousands of posts on ins....

good luck