PDA

View Full Version : Cost of printing your own flyers vs. print shop?

Exact Rototilling
02-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Has anyone here ever done a rough cost analysis on printing your own flyers at home on a Color Laser printer vs. running to the printer.

I'm considering buying a printer from Costco for a reduced price and/or the same one directly from HP.

I posted a thread about the specific printer @ http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=217423 re: HP Laser 2 sided color printer . .. few?

Any thoughts?

:waving:

Lawnut101
02-25-2008, 01:08 PM
It kinda depends on how many your going to have made up. I have never done an analysis on the price, but my business is farily small, which means I don't need a ton of flyers/cards. I print my own because I don't need 500-1000 sitting around at a time. This spring however, I will be looking into hiring a shop to do mine for me. I would think that a print shop would be a little more expensive, but it may be pretty close to the same, once you factor in how much nicer paper costs you to buy vs. the price they pay for buying it in bulk. I'd say though, if your going the plain and simple method, just do it yourself.

coif_kid
02-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Yeah I did.

Cost of photocopies from Staples is $0.03 for anything over a thousand.

Cost of photocopies from home (based on a laser printer Samsung Ml-2010) $0.033 per page. However if your flyer is toner heavy than the laser printer cost will increase.

LushGreenLawn
02-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Go on ebay and search "continuous ink system" Find one that fits an
HP ProK5400 The proK5400 at staples is $149 until the end of the week. Once you spend the money on the ink system, your ink cost will be neglegable. I printed 7000 doorhangars this year on about $70 in ink, or about .02 per page (two doorhangars on a page) This was full color and ink heavy. The ink system should run you about $100

kleankutslawn
02-25-2008, 07:59 PM
maybe over the years,you will save by making your own copies

Exact Rototilling
02-25-2008, 08:41 PM
After talking to people in the know I think I have it figured out. Refills are a no no apparently for Laser color printers. One shop in my area admitted they had to pay for several gunked up printers last year. :hammerhead:
Now they only sell "new" toner cartridges for Laser printers.

The other Refill hut I called said this HP Laser was too new and no refills are available. Their price on toner is the same as HP. HP's price on the printer is $249 with free S&H and a complete set of refills is $320.00 :hammerhead:

Conclusion buy several new duplex double side [no manual flipping or fiddling] print Laser [no runs when wet] printers. Keep one or two as a spare when the toner runs out. eBay, donate or toss the empty printer when it runs out of toner.

:waving:

Carolina Cuts
02-25-2008, 10:31 PM
get em' printed online... 5000 postcards, full color, glossy and precut... $160...
it's a home run. Not to mention, a write off.

I do like to print my biz cards though... on a as needed basis. 10 here, 20 there...

SLC, LLC
02-26-2008, 12:28 AM
I checked out your original thread and have been quite intrigued to see the responses. I have been wondering this same thing over the winter as I work up all of my proposals. It would be so nice just to have the color printer right here at my disposal, and print as needed. Now, however, I might have to wait until the next day or even several days to get something printed depending on the time I have to take it to the printer.

I will keep tabs on this thread - let me know your decision.

lawnpro724
02-26-2008, 12:57 AM
Design your own on your computer then when you need them print a copy and take it to Staples and make copies that way you will always have the original and can make changes as needed.