PDA

View Full Version : Labor law poster rquuired?

lawncuttinfoo
02-25-2008, 12:29 PM
For those of you with employees, do you post a federal labor law poster in your garage? I received a threatening junk mail letter saying I am required by law to post this poster and that I can buy one from them. (nice way to treat your potential customers, lol)

I do not currently have any employees so I will not be needing this. But does ANYONE here post these?

StBalor
02-25-2008, 01:23 PM
They sent me 1 in the mail last year. I have not yey put it up, but you are suppose to. Last year i provided transportation for my 2 helpers. I did not want to post that thing in my truck.

dougaustreim
02-25-2008, 02:32 PM
You are required by law to post that information. That part is correct. The part the letter doesn't tell you is that you can get the posters free drom the Dept of Labor. Just contact your local state employment agency and they can provide you with what you need

Doug
Austreim Landscapign

hackitdown
02-25-2008, 03:12 PM
I got one of those foolish mailers, too. My wife is in HR, and she set me straight on this stuff, you do have to post them.

You can print them out, too. Check this out.

http://www.dol.gov/osbp/sbrefa/poster/matrix.htm

lawncuttinfoo
02-25-2008, 05:27 PM
awesome thanks for the link

txgrassguy
02-25-2008, 05:32 PM
I get cold calls all of the time from @@#hole companies for these signs.
They want around $199/year to send you these free postings.
One guy was really persistent, kept calling back after I said not too.
So, the last time he called I used my boat's hand held airhorn and blasted it into the phone ear piece. I hear this scream then the handset clattering like he dropped it - I wonder why he hasn't called back?

lawnman_scott
02-25-2008, 08:02 PM
So does anyone really post them? I would have to say if you have 1 or 2 employees and feel you have to post them because someone may complain, then you have bigger problems.

lifetree
02-25-2008, 08:32 PM
It is required by Federal law !!

txgrassguy
02-25-2008, 08:32 PM
I do post these info panels. One in the shop, one in the bathroom, one in the office by the time card machine. Plus the crews/new hires gets an 8"X11" one they sign for at the start of each year or when the laws change.

lawnman_scott
02-25-2008, 09:12 PM
It is required by Federal law !!sure it is, but for a small company with one or two employees who cares? I think I will post one in the truck, my one employee has a good imagination and is very good at drawing. I bet he can make a couple naked women by starting with what the sign says. It is the minimum wage thing we are talking about, right? Another waste of time and money brought to us by people that cant get a real job.

dougaustreim
02-26-2008, 08:34 AM
If you stay in business long enough, you will eventually be visited laong the way by all sorts of government inspectors and auditors. We didn't get visited by the state sales tax people until our 35th year. A lot of other agencies had been here long before that. The labor poster are a real easy compliance issue, and one of the first things visible to an inspector. Seeing them right away says that your trying to comply. As soon as they seen something that is not in compliance they start looking for more. The posters just hlep get things off on the right foot.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

tallimeca
02-26-2008, 08:43 AM
we had bought into this poster crap a while back. It just seemed like once a month there was a new poster and new bill, and i said, this is a scam.

So I called the state and here's what i found.

Yes, these POSTINGS are required. You can go to your states website and print them out for free.

Only problem is this...........

There is a bazillion of them!!!!! You'd have to have a 20x20 room!!! So what these companies do is shrink them and put like 20 of them on a 2x3 ft poster. It covers you and you only have to put a couple of them up. Plus , most of them guarantee them so if the state comes in and they fine you because something is wrong, they will pay the fines up to a certain amount.

Plus, the states change 1 word on it and there's a whole new posting. Do you have the time to check these constantly?

Well worth the money is what i found out.