PDA

View Full Version : What truck to go with

BLC1
02-25-2008, 02:11 PM
If you were looking for a truck today, what would make you choose between a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and HD? Can you plow snow with the 1500? I'm looking for some criteria to decide which truck may be right for me.

barefeetny
02-25-2008, 03:25 PM
well i wouldn't buy a chevy as they don't have a manual tranny

Doge and ford would be my only two choices and dodge has had some reliablity problems in the past that i'm not over yet

Go ford .... it used to be my least favoritre brand...they still build a work truck you can afford and expect to get the life out of.

i would only buy a 3/4 or better truck... and don't own anything less then a 1 ton for work...

just my .02

Nate

OhioBobcat125
02-25-2008, 04:21 PM
This is a little off topic but does anybody know why Chevy dropped the manual transmission? It seems that would be an important option to people that are going to be hauling alot.

ALLoutLandscaping
02-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Wait one second here, first of all the new Automatics in HD trucks are simply amazing. i would not buy a manual in a under 2 ton truck. allison auto tranny's in the chevys are about as close to invinceable as you can get. there are alot of other options, gas vs diesel, cab configurations, applications you are going to use it for, trafic condtions you are in, and finnally the bottom line how much $$$ You want to spend.

Landrus2
02-25-2008, 04:29 PM
I would buy ford F250 4X4 good truck there.

BLC1
02-25-2008, 04:41 PM
what would keep you from getting a 1500? Can they not handle pulling around trailers all day everyday?

Landrus2
02-25-2008, 04:52 PM
what would keep you from getting a 1500? Can they not handle pulling around trailers all day everyday?

Iím sure is a good truck. but ford is for me, 10 years all I putted in was a fuel pump. that is built heavy duty.:waving:

buttaluv
02-25-2008, 05:38 PM
get what meets your needs! look to the future...

barefeetny
02-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Wait one second here, first of all the new Automatics in HD trucks are simply amazing. i would not buy a manual in a under 2 ton truck. allison auto tranny's in the chevys are about as close to invinceable as you can get. there are alot of other options, gas vs diesel, cab configurations, applications you are going to use it for, trafic condtions you are in, and finnally the bottom line how much $$$ You want to spend.

It may shift great...eat bullets, crap ice cream and not spill your coffee but Chevy has failed to realize that there is potential buys that want or require an stick...

i never have seen a auto live up to the lifespan of a stick under the same conditions.... not to mention the auto robs power/decreases mileage.

plus whats the replacement cost on a 6 speed allision? long after your warrentey is done i bet 2500-4000....

you won't sell me on an auto.... not untill i see a line of them stand the test of time

BLC1
02-25-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm trying to figure out what will fit my needs. Thats why I was asking what would make you jump from a 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton to HD to 1 ton.

jdogg399
02-25-2008, 07:21 PM
A 1500 will pull it where ever or whatever. Thats what i use got two never had a problem both older and with 350. But pulls them trailers good though

topsites
02-25-2008, 08:10 PM
If you're pulling an open trailer full time you need at least a 3/4 ton.
Enclosed, maybe a full ton, I don't know.

plus whats the replacement cost on a 6 speed allision? long after your warrentey is done i bet 2500-4000....

A 6-speed auto?
Nooo, a rebuilt 6-speed truck transmission run you 5500-8500 easy, and they're hard to find so if you look long and hard you might find one for as little as 4 but I just seen one on ebay for 10 thousand.

5 speeds run about 2500-4000 but even those can run up to 6.
Yes sir, that would be why I'm so crazy about getting the right truck in the first place.
It's just not something I can afford to fool with, I replace fluid and filter but if it craps out I have to get another truck!

So, who wants to get the right truck for the job?

ALLoutLandscaping
02-25-2008, 08:16 PM
i have a hard time beliving that you can wear an allison out, i personally have witnessed duramax's putting out over 700 rwhp 0n 35 inch tires and not tearing them out, plus allison transmissions have a limp home mode they go into if you work them too hard, which in return will save the tranny. Have you ever been to a truck and tractor pull lately? k will agrees with you in 1985 automatics were junk in a light duty truck. but wellcome to 2008.

OhioBobcat125
02-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Youre still forgetting about personal preference. Some people prefer stick regardless of how good auto transmissions are built today...Chevy doesn't offer one then they will lose business to companies that do, simple as that.

KTM
02-25-2008, 09:14 PM
I agree, I can not believe they quit offering a manual tranny option. Seams like they want to make it so you will never be able to work on your own truck again. Any person with a little mechanical know-how can fix or rebuild a manual, but A auto is A whole different animal.

hosejockey2002
02-25-2008, 09:20 PM
i have a hard time beliving that you can wear an allison out

Don't kid yourself. At my full time job we have a fire engine that smokes an Allison every 20,000 miles almost like clockwork. They are great trannies, but like any auto they will wear out.

Itzkcatz
02-25-2008, 09:44 PM
I would never buy a 1/2 ton for a work truck, Esp if your plowing or towing alot. most 3/4 ton trucks have bigger brakes stiffer suspension and bigger coolers, We use to have a 98 ram 1500 and it is half the truck of our 98 ram 2500, also you should check your state laws about exceeding your weight limit by buying a 1 ton truck. If you are pulling a dual axle with a 7000 plus lb rating with a 1ton you might need a cdl Atleast in my state its like that. one guy on here got a 1500 dallor fine for doing this

barefeetny
02-25-2008, 11:18 PM
I'll give you some background

i live between two good size mountains

forget about the brakes you smoke without having the control over the truck that you do with a stick

forget about the pulling power to go up the mountain

you know what smokes auto boxes... go 65mph up the mountain and listen to the tranny jump out of od into drive into second and then back into drive... up to 65 back into od...

six speeds are worse.....

now i hit the bottom of the hill at highway speed 65mph at midpoint my road speed drops to 60 and i can leave it in 5th or if i want to swing to the fast lane and downshift to 4th...

now i'm not dumb... i know its not 1985... and they have come a long ways in technology... but an automatic transmission will allways be a convience option and not the strongest/ more efficient option...

so who am i... why does anyone care.... Chevy reduced the ammount of trucks it will sell by at least 1... maybe 2 if i got big...I bought a brand new, leftover 93 3500 silvy off the lot in 94 and bought a nice extenda cab 3500 in 1997 ...Am i the only one probably not... Seems to me that for years they have been building what they want, instead of what the customer wants....

Nate

ALLoutLandscaping
02-26-2008, 12:26 AM
o except for the fact that with the allison you can down shift via the auto stick option avaiable on the HD models yea yea you live in the mountains, o wow, have you driven a 6 speed auto up the big mountain you live in between, just like my old man, back in the day we walked up hill both ways in 3 feet of snow and it was -30 below out. and to fire engine man, how big on a fire engine are we talking here>? are we talking a chevy 3500hd or heavy duty truck, cause if were going that route i have driven mack dump trucks with auto trannys with 200,000+ miles on the original trannies, hey and just to let all you know an m-1 abrahams tank has an allison automatic in it. but you know i am sure you all do much more damage to my brother in laws uncles nieghbors sisters husbands truck.

barefeetny
02-26-2008, 12:45 AM
i just live between the catskills and the shawangunks..its not the rockys but they have destroyed more then a few cars.there is an uphill and a downhill.. and my father a lifelong gm man bought a 2007 2500 hd ...his wash and wax every friday.. pull the boat on sunday...one of the nicest things he ever owned

he won't let me touch it( like i was still 16) but i can attest that it runs like a flat out raped ape with 350 horse..it shifts nice...but its still not for me....it will drive up the hill at 100 but that being said....wait 10 years and see how many are left...

the part i think your missing just like GM is.... I'M sure its a great tranny... it gives backrubs when the truck is idling, has ricer mode that allows you to smoke hondas... but i don't want an automatic.not even a 6 speed all the whistles and frill version. period....i don't care if they put them in tanks or subs...has nano technology that allows me to turbo boost over police roadblocks...

i want 3 pedals and a stick on the floor... even for the reason that i frequently forget to turn my radio off...

Scag48
02-26-2008, 01:31 AM
You guys are smoking some good stuff if you think the Allison is the end all tranny. I will agree they are better than what Ford and Dodge offers, but they aren't completely bombproof. Even the actual GOOD ones in class 8 trucks blow up all the time, they will not see 200K on an original tranny, I don't believe that one bit. Well, maybe they could if they were in a Mack not running Cat or Cummins power :laugh:

TXNSLighting
02-26-2008, 09:04 AM
also dont forget the allison in 06+ gm's are a manual also. mine has manual on it. very handy.

TXNSLighting
02-26-2008, 09:05 AM
i actually prefer the torqshift in the ford over the allison. it slows you down alot easier then the allison does in mine, and i think its smoother. It just needs a manual option. which it will have soon enough.

TXNSLighting
02-26-2008, 09:11 AM
well i guess your only options are dodge or ford. id go with the ford. more comfortable ride, and towing.

hosejockey2002
02-26-2008, 10:53 AM
how big on a fire engine are we talking here>? are we talking a chevy 3500hd or heavy duty truck, cause if were going that route i have driven mack dump trucks with auto trannys with 200,000+ miles on the original trannies, hey and just to let all you know an m-1 abrahams tank has an allison automatic in it. but you know i am sure you all do much more damage to my brother in laws uncles nieghbors sisters husbands truck.

It's an Allison 4000 series behind a Detroit Series 60 470 hp/1650 torque. What kills it is the heat from the output ******er, which slows you down much better than a jake brake but creates a lot of heat. Fire service is probably harder than any application with the possible exception of garbage trucks. Start it up, drive it hard for five minutes, idle for 30, drive it back and shut it down. Do that about 10-12 times a day, it's pretty hard on a rig. I only brought it up to show that even the mighty Allison is not bulletproof.

ALLoutLandscaping
02-26-2008, 11:14 AM
well i wouldn't buy a chevy as they don't have a manual tranny

see this is the point i am trying to get across to you. you say do not buy a chevy because they dont offer a manual. well dont get me wrong i love driving manuals, they are fun and you can really feel the power from that stick. but you have to see that where you live a stick might be better in your mind. but i dont know how much traffic you have there, but sitting in stop and go traffic will wear a clutch out fast, not only that, when im in the truck im ussually on the phone, shifting and talking on the phone isnt alot of fun.

BLC1
02-26-2008, 12:19 PM
So I should probably go with atleast the 3/4 ton? What bumps me up to the HD now?

ALLoutLandscaping
02-26-2008, 01:13 PM
nothing most 3/4 tons you see these days are the hd models at least for the chevy and dodges. i dont know if there is such thing as a f-250 non superduty i dont belive so, but it depends on what year of trucks your looking for, new? hd's just another badge they put on the truck. but if you look at an 88-01 chevy the HD option makes a diffrence. HD's are just what 3/4 ton trucks are called these days, yes yes i know chevy did make some 2500's but the only diffrence is the reg 2500's have a little softer suspension. go with a 3/4 ton HD youll be happy with it for what ever brand you choose

coolluv
02-26-2008, 02:19 PM
1/2 ton trucks are not made for working everyday. That is towing heavy loads and hauling heavy loads. Will they do it? Sure, will they hold up? Maybe. Some people have used 1/2ton trucks all the time with little or no problems. So they Say. I used to own a 1/2 ton 94 Dodge 4 wheel drive truck that I used to haul a small boat 14 ft. aluminum with a small trailer and I hauled small loads every now and then, and it did well. But the loads were small and not heavy. I even hauled 1 ton of stone 6 miles to my house 5 trips and it did ok. The rear sagged a bunch and I had to go really slow but it did it.

I started my business and hauled my 16ft 2 axle open landscape trailer with a Super Z and a 36 hydro walk behind and a 21inch push mower plus the usual gas and trimmers and shovels etc. Maybe 3000 to 3500 lbs total. My truck had the 360 V-8 and it pulled it ok. Where I live I have to use side roads and highways to do my route. On the side roads and flat roads it did ok. But on the hills if I did not get a running shot you could really feel it and it was slow going. I tried to take it easy on my truck so I did not take off fast and beat it.

On the highway it did ok too but to keep up with 70 to 80 MPH traffic was hard. The speed limit is 65 and anyone who lives in Atlanta will tell you that that is a suggestion not the actual speed everyone drives at. If you drive slower you will get run over. No Joke. I would do ok up to about 60 and then I would really struggle and had to keep my foot in it to try to keep up and if I came on a slight uphill grade then it was almost impossible to keep up.

I used that truck for 2 seasons and in the second season when the trans was cold for the first 15 or 20 mins it would not like to shift out of third and the drive line started to clunk in reverse which I know is the uni joints. It also had a vibration in the rear end. But the truck only had 126,000 miles on it and I believe it was starting to have problems due to the fact that it was being used as a work truck. And I realize it was getting old. But I bought that truck brand new in 94 and I babied it and it looked it. When I traded it last month the dealer could not believe how nice it looked.

I say all that to say this, If you go with a 1/2 ton you must realize that it really is not made to work hard everyday all day. Most 1/2 ton trucks are built for guys that pull a boat on the weekend and go hunting and do a little 4 wheel driving to the hunting cabin. Or doing some home repairs and hauling some sheet rock and some plywood.

Will it take the stresses of everyday work? Maybe for a while, and it might to 100,000 miles you really don't know. But why not get a 2500 or 3500 or whatever 3/4 or 1 ton you like and know that it is made for working everyday and have that peace of mind. Every day I worked my truck I would hope in the back of my mind that today was not going to be the day my tranny blew up or something major went wrong.

One more thing I will add is that down here it gets hot and sometimes it gets really hot. We had 21 straight days last year that were 100 to 106 with ungodly heat indexes and my truck would get me scared sometimes watching that temp gauge rise. I even came close to overheating just backing into my driveway with my loaded trailer which is on a slight incline. The trans temp light even came on. My neighbor is an LCO and uses 1/2 tons, he put a new trans in one and had the rears redone in both of his trucks and he pulls 12ft single axle trailers with both. One is a Ford the other is a Chevy.

Anyway if you can afford a 3/4 ton or more I would go that route and have peace of mind.

Dave...