PDA

View Full Version : Smart Bidder!

Green King
02-25-2008, 07:19 PM
:hammerhead:

Just found out today that I was as well as many others blown away on a 135acre city bid! The winner beat everyone by $10 an acre making his bid at $12 an acre! Real Smart! Out of that he has to get Workmans Comp! a Performance Bond and Insurance! That does not include what he pays employees gas and other expensed plus the machinery from what I have seen will not make through the year! It just amazed me and everyone else who got last years bid info and bid it accordingly! Then some dumb bell bids this like this I hope it rains and rains for him so he can make just as much money as I will on that bid!

barefeetny
02-25-2008, 07:54 PM
i don't think 22 dollars an acre was much smarter... in my opinion

maybe you should be thankful you didn't get it...

maybe that guy is going to mow it with this 68 acres a day... 1620 for 2 days works

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/series/GC_front_wide_series.html

what exactly are you looking for here....

Green King
02-25-2008, 08:17 PM
I actually mow just under 300acre a week with the city now! Make pretty good money when one guy and machine will pump out 7-8 acres an hour!

I have had batwings mowers before but with all the turning and hills we have they just have not saved us any real time!

My point is this the city bids are public knowledge on what they go for from year to year! This was not a real bright move when everyone was in the 22-25 area!

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
02-25-2008, 08:32 PM
If he puts 2 WAM's on it he could knock it out in a day. But I get where your coming from. We lost a bid last year to someone who bid 1/3 of what we did. The other crew showed up once and then canceled the contract so wait and see what happens.

barefeetny
02-25-2008, 08:37 PM
so is this guy local?

ever seen him around?

I have been the low bid and made tons of money and the next year i was the high bidder at the same price...

if he fails it will send a very clear message for next year....

Green King
02-25-2008, 08:41 PM
actually I never heard of the guy! I really think he is fly by night guy but we will see! The wam mowers the way these properties are actually cost you time for the most part! To many obsticalls and hills to manuever quickly!

ExecutiveLawns
02-25-2008, 08:43 PM
If he puts 2 WAM's on it he could knock it out in a day. But I get where your coming from. We lost a bid last year to someone who bid 1/3 of what we did. The other crew showed up once and then canceled the contract so wait and see what happens.

Yea they could knock it out in one day with 2 $55,000 mowers but thats $110,000.00 in just 2 mowers that you now have to find work for for the next 4 days of the week to make the payments on. around here i think that same large acre lots go for no less than $35 an acre

topsites
02-25-2008, 08:49 PM
I see school is back in session.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
02-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Who would buy $55K mowers for only a days use? The guy could run them 7 days a week, how do we know. However $800 per day per mower isn't too bad. But then again the guy who bid could plan on using his 42" murray, who knows. If you can get $35 an acre for the same job where your at you are extremely lucky.

delphied
02-25-2008, 08:51 PM
:hammerhead:

Just found out today that I was as well as many others blown away on a 135acre city bid! The winner beat everyone by $10 an acre making his bid at $12 an acre! Real Smart! Out of that he has to get Workmans Comp! a Performance Bond and Insurance! That does not include what he pays employees gas and other expensed plus the machinery from what I have seen will not make through the year! It just amazed me and everyone else who got last years bid info and bid it accordingly! Then some dumb bell bids this like this I hope it rains and rains for him so he can make just as much money as I will on that bid!

The wrath of a low bider getting lowballed.

Green King
02-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Actually out of nine bidders I was the second highest! Unfortunately 15years ago bids for the same property was $25 an acre but about 6-7yrs ago they got low balled to $9 an acre and they were just getting back to the $20-25 range. Now the process will have to start all over again!

delphied
02-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Actually out of nine bidders I was the second highest! Unfortunately 15years ago bids for the same property was $25 an acre but about 6-7yrs ago they got low balled to $9 an acre and they were just getting back to the $20-25 range. Now the process will have to start all over again!

There comes a time to fold your hand.

lawnman_scott
02-25-2008, 09:43 PM
I actually mow just under 300acre a week with the city now! Make pretty good money when one guy and machine will pump out 7-8 acres an hour!

I have had batwings mowers before but with all the turning and hills we have they just have not saved us any real time!

My point is this the city bids are public knowledge on what they go for from year to year! This was not a real bright move when everyone was in the 22-25 area!Maybe he knew that and figured if he could do 8 acres an hour at $12 he would do good grossing $84 an hour. City/state work always bottoms out every few years. I lost one for $5 a month that I had for 5 years.

Green King
02-25-2008, 09:50 PM
I agree city bids are tough! But he sure left alot on the table! all he had to do was a little research! Good luck to him.