PDA

View Full Version : Want To Get Started

egwich
02-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Hey everyone. New to the forum but I've been reading it for a few months now. I'm in college and for the past 10 years during the summer I've made some extra money cutting my neighbors yard, trimming hedges and just the basics. For about a year though I've been seriously considering tryin to branch out and get a crew going. But I don't want to rush into something because I know theres alot to learn about this buisness.

Right now I have a 42 In. 17.5 HP 7-Speed Rider, Walk behind mower, weed whacker, hedge trimmer equipment, and just simple lawn care equipment. Also I have a truck and am planning on buying a trailer. My friend who I've been planning on doing this with also has pretty much the same stuff. We'd probably put together a crew of 4 or 5.

I would offer the basics. Yards in my area are pretty big and go anywhere from $40-55 a cut. Since I'm not offering a complete package I'd obviously charge the minimum to try and compete. I'm majoring in buisness and have good ambition so I'm pretty confident that I could push myself to get customers.

I'm set on doing this but I want some advice and feedback. Is my equipment good enough for starting? Any tips or anything I need to know? I've been studying up on this for awhile but I'd really appreciate it if someone can throw some information my way. Thanks :waving:

kleankutslawn
02-25-2008, 09:28 PM
if the yards are big don't try 2 be the cheapest,to me it makes you seem unprofessional.good customers don't mind paying for good service

wski4fun
02-25-2008, 10:06 PM
I've been back and forth landscaping for many years and learned a lot. The biggest thing to learn is to watch your expenses. Five dollers here, five dollers there adds up. Buy stuff online when you can, do your own maintenance, and fix stuff that you are capable to fix. There are two ways to have more money. Earn more or spend less. You will have a hard time if you charge less and try to have high quality. I think it is tough to make up that difference once you start charging less then you should. Remember also that there is a lot of money to be made in the lower end of the market. Good luck.

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
02-25-2008, 10:31 PM
You got to think about the big picture. You say that you are trying to put together a 4 or 5 person crew?? First and foremost you got to think about License and Insurance which in most parts isn't cheap? You don't want to be another one of those non licensed and insured LCO too many of those out there LOL... And you say ur majoring in business well in this line of work you can ask anyone of these guys up here that a Business plan will get you a long ways. focus on customer base what kind and who?? and that depends on what type of area you are in. Id say just starting out just go solo and work your way up. There are too many horror stories on here about partnerships. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask and good luck.