PDA

View Full Version : new 08 tank and recon

hawkeye
02-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I am in the market for my first ztr and I am looking at the cub commercial, hustler and bobcat- I havent seen a bobcat in person yet but as far as the cub line I was impressed. The tank 48 and even the recon 48 looked a lot better than the hustler line. I know hustler is a respected unit but the tank just looks better built. How about the cut? I would appreciate any input regarding these three mowers- thanks

lifetree
02-25-2008, 09:58 PM
I've heard alot of comments about how the Hustler has a good quality cut !!

SNAPPER MAN
02-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Get the new tank. I just bought a new 2008 48" TANK with a 23 hp kawasaki engine. It is an awsome mower and is built like a tank. I would definatly recommend getting one and right now cub cadet has a special offer on the tank. 0% for 36 months.

N.H.BOY
02-25-2008, 10:47 PM
I have the 54 tank and no problems at all. I love the tanks, only bad thing I can say is that mine SUCKS at bagging clippings and leaves, but I have got the 3 bagger. Great mowers.

DK lawn care
02-25-2008, 11:00 PM
I have the 54 tank and no problems at all. I love the tanks, only bad thing I can say is that mine SUCKS at bagging clippings and leaves, but I have got the 3 bagger. Great mowers.

Why does urs suck at collecting clippings?

TomberLawn
02-25-2008, 11:54 PM
From the brands you have mentioned, it sounded like you've been to my local dealer. I checked your location just to see if you were in my neck of the woods, but Iowa's a good ways off. My dealer sells Cub Cadet, Hustler, and Bob-Cat, along with a few other lines like Stihl, Little Wonder, and Billy Goat.

ProStreetCamaro
02-25-2008, 11:54 PM
I am in the market for my first ztr and I am looking at the cub commercial, hustler and bobcat- I havent seen a bobcat in person yet but as far as the cub line I was impressed. The tank 48 and even the recon 48 looked a lot better than the hustler line. I know hustler is a respected unit but the tank just looks better built. How about the cut? I would appreciate any input regarding these three mowers- thanks

Would you be interested in a Tank M48 with only 400 hours on it? We will let ours go for $3,000 and I am the sole operator of our Tank and it has never been abused. It still looks like new for the most part. Only thing it needs is 2 new rear tires.
It cuts great and is a very nice machine. We just want to get a new 60" this spring so we we wont need the M48 any more.

DK lawn care
02-26-2008, 01:40 AM
Would you be interested in a Tank M48 with only 400 hours on it? We will let ours go for $3,000 and I am the sole operator of our Tank and it has never been abused. It still looks like new for the most part. Only thing it needs is 2 new rear tires.
It cuts great and is a very nice machine. We just want to get a new 60" this spring so we we wont need the M48 any more.

What kind of 60 inch are u getting?

PEVO
02-26-2008, 02:51 AM

What hustler line are you comparing the cubs too? IMO the Hustler Z & super-Z looks like a better built mower. Hustlers to me look like they were designed to be simple but strong. You look at a cub tank(from a pic anyway) & it looks way over designed with extra parts and gadgets, levers, bolt on braces. baffles, metal pannels etc. Maybe to look impressive? not to me...it looks overdesigned for the job it has to. I'm sure it cuts fine, i just don't care for that cheesy over designed to "look" impressive look...while the hustler only has what it needs to do the job with...but those are built with thick heavy steel parts in the most efficent way to last years of abuse. This also equals out to be less parts to bend up & break. Iv'e seen hustler Super-Zs that were used(& abused) everyday by a large local district that only had the paint scraped off the deck, everything else...deck,foot lift lever, height adjustments, wheels, seat all looked good. Nothing bent up & nothing rewelded back together. These mowers were driven by inexperienced employees who really could care less about the equipment they were assigned to work with. I'm sure they ran over more junk, & bumped into & scraped more things in 3-4 years than i could do in a lifetime to one. That really IMPRESSED ME. Oh & these were 3+ year old units, that to me was a impressive selling point as to how long they are built to last.

ProStreetCamaro
02-26-2008, 09:26 AM
What kind of 60 inch are u getting?

We are looking real hard at John Deere, Lazer with ultracut deck and gravely

TomberLawn
02-26-2008, 10:30 AM
I've used a Deere 757 and was not impressed. I was rather disappointed. It didn't have enough power in slightly overgrown weeds and backfired EVERY time I turned the engine off, even after letting it idle for a couple minutes. The hydro controls felt a little sloppy on the unit I ran. After using my Ferris with suspension, I didn't like the ride quality of the Deere either. It seemed impossible to keep all 4 tires on the ground since the frame was rigid with no pivot points. I guess that's the nature of any mower without suspension. My family has been dissatisfied with John Deere products lately. Everything we compare them to, the competitor has better features and a lower price. I'm sorry if there are any hard-core Deere fans out there offended by my opinion, but I used to be hard-core Deere myself until I looked at what else was out there.

MJB
06-29-2008, 10:17 PM
We are looking real hard at John Deere, Lazer with ultracut deck and gravely

Why didn't you consider the 2008 Select Cut Tank , or did you ? Have you heard anything negative about Cub Cadet mowers lately other than the usual
mtd stuff?

J.A.G LAWNCARE
06-30-2008, 12:52 AM
i have a 48 tank 800 hours mowers good , looking to get a 54 with bagger if i can get a kaw they say they only come with a kohler on that size ...

mike plummer
06-30-2008, 01:08 AM
Ihave the 08 cub 60 with the 30 hp koler love it it don't cut as low as my jd 54 2.5 on the jd is 1 on the cub so they match up

MJB
06-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Ihave the 08 cub 60 with the 30 hp koler love it it don't cut as low as my jd 54 2.5 on the jd is 1 on the cub so they match up

Have you put many hrs on it or just breaking it in? Anything you don't like about it?

capnsac
06-30-2008, 01:32 AM
I love mine!! Go to this post http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=2397100&postcount=37 to see the pics of a property I take care of. That's with the 60" cub cadet command cut system 25hp kawi. gator mulching blades. I cannot stress to you enough about how absolutely wonderful these machines are! Get one and don't look back. Soon they will be just as spendy as scag or jd, but for my sake I hope not :)

ALC-GregH
06-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Why didn't you consider the 2008 Select Cut Tank , or did you ? Have you heard anything negative about Cub Cadet mowers lately other than the usual
mtd stuff?

to me, the usual MTD stuff is the VERY reason I'll never buy one, again.

capnsac
06-30-2008, 10:37 AM
to me, the usual MTD stuff is the VERY reason I'll never buy one, again.

MTD doesn't make The Tank. The commercial line is made at a entirely different plant than the residential line.

Groh's Mows
06-30-2008, 10:56 AM
If MTD does not make these mowers, who does? Last I knew all the commercial Cub mowers were made by MTD just as the Lesco mowers were when they were around. I do believe they are made at a separate facility from where the homeowner equipment is manufactured.

In response to the question of this thread, I have to agree with PEVO about the Hustler mowers. They are very strong purpose built machines and some of the fastest ZTR's on the market. Our local school district also uses Hustler and they seem to hold up very well to some indifferent operators. I had the chance to use a Super Z and the power and cut were impressive. I don't see many Cub mowers around here. The Cub line does seem to be less expensive. Of course that expense is relative based on how well the machine holds up over time and repair costs down the road can make a bargain now cost a lot more later.

MJB
06-30-2008, 05:05 PM
If MTD does not make these mowers, who does? Last I knew all the commercial Cub mowers were made by MTD just as the Lesco mowers were when they were around. I do believe they are made at a separate facility from where the homeowner equipment is manufactured.

In response to the question of this thread, I have to agree with PEVO about the Hustler mowers. They are very strong purpose built machines and some of the fastest ZTR's on the market. Our local school district also uses Hustler and they seem to hold up very well to some indifferent operators. I had the chance to use a Super Z and the power and cut were impressive. I don't see many Cub mowers around here. The Cub line does seem to be less expensive. Of course that expense is relative based on how well the machine holds up over time and repair costs down the road can make a bargain now cost a lot more later.
I got a 2006 66 " Super Z and it is not a Lemon, but it has been in the shop a dozen times in the first 600 hrs, most of that was in the first 400 hrs. I'd run good for a month then down twice in 1 month sometimes twice in the same day totally different issues. Turns out all the problems I had have happened to many of those who bought 2006 models. If I had bought the Cub Cadet instead which I almost did, I would of saved a few 1000 dollars and probably no way I would of been in the shop that much. So does it matter which brand you purchase if either one is no better than the other. Something to think about.... but I goota go demo another Exmark in about an hr.

capnsac
06-30-2008, 11:24 PM

I don't know the company that makes the cub commercial line, but it isn't MTD. Envy knows who builds these machines, so if you really want to know then ask him. Cub residential line is crap, I agree 100% there. That misconception is what causes the cub commercial line to fail as well. Everyone has the notion that since one sucks the other must too. However that isn't the case here. I don't really care if I convince you or not, I just know that once this tank hits its three year mark I'm going to buy another brand new Tank. They've made a believer out of me.

MJB
07-01-2008, 02:05 AM
I don't know the company that makes the cub commercial line, but it isn't MTD. Envy knows who builds these machines, so if you really want to know then ask him. Cub residential line is crap, I agree 100% there. That misconception is what causes the cub commercial line to fail as well. Everyone has the notion that since one sucks the other must too. However that isn't the case here. I don't really care if I convince you or not, I just know that once this tank hits its three year mark I'm going to buy another brand new Tank. They've made a believer out of me.

Envy and Prostreet I think it was talked me into demoing a Tank in 2006 and I compared it to my Lazer Z, and the cut quality was the same, holds the hill a little better than the Lazer Z because my Lazer was heavier. But I just really did not like the look of the old Tanks. Now I comparted tham with the new Tank and the new Tanks with the Bull nose deck really looks cool. I also like the deck wash hookups. I would say it's a toss up between the Exmark Lazer Z AS and the New Cub Tank. But the Exmark looks like it would hold up better if abused , both mowers are equal in so many ways. But the big question is will the Tank hold up. I like the price alot better than Exmarks...They both hold the hills very well.

doubleedge
07-01-2008, 02:39 AM
Envy and Prostreet I think it was talked me into demoing a Tank in 2006 and I compared it to my Lazer Z, and the cut quality was the same, holds the hill a little better than the Lazer Z because my Lazer was heavier. But I just really did not like the look of the old Tanks. Now I comparted tham with the new Tank and the new Tanks with the Bull nose deck really looks cool. I also like the deck wash hookups. I would say it's a toss up between the Exmark Lazer Z AS and the New Cub Tank. But the Exmark looks like it would hold up better if abused , both mowers are equal in so many ways. But the big question is will the Tank hold up. I like the price alot better than Exmarks...They both hold the hills very well.

I don't have personal experience, but I think it would hold up. All of the most important components are name brand (hyd motors/pumps, engine). To top it off, it has a 3 year warranty. That's one of the best warranties that I have seen on a commercial mower.

Envy Lawn Service
07-01-2008, 07:14 AM
The eXmarks are prettier, and pretty sells, but pretty don't pay the bills in this business. eXmark sells a lot of mowers because of looks, and they sell a lot of mowers because at one time they were on the leading edge and earned a following. But reality is, that was 10-15 years ago, and not much additional progress has been made. From leading edge to left behind.

From day one you'll likely notice that the Tanks are not quite as 'refined' as Lazers... which should be expected since eXmark has been polishing the same design for over a decade. What I mean is, on a Tank you may hear a little more noise and feel a little more vibration, etc... But hey, these are lawnmowers... not limousines.

Performance wise, these mowers get it done, and they are not picky... they cut everything well and have the highest 'one-pass' cut quality I've seen. They also hold up extremely well with extremely little downtime. Gas, oil, grease, blades, belts and thousands of trouble free production hours. That's why they don't mind to warranty them for 3 years.

High performance, high production, and high reliability.
Very cost effective... a value that is hard to top in any category.

If you live somewhere where you can get them for thousands less also... then trust me... it's a total no-brainer. All that extra money I spent over the years for "name brand" stuff.... I would have gotten more benefit out of it if I had set it on fire.

Anyways, in the end... if I could go back many years in business, this is the one thing I wished I could have went back and changed. If I could I would go back and 'jump ship' for these mowers the very first year they introduced the fabricated deck.

MJB
07-01-2008, 09:04 AM
The eXmarks are prettier, and pretty sells, but pretty don't pay the bills in this business. eXmark sells a lot of mowers because of looks, and they sell a lot of mowers because at one time they were on the leading edge and earned a following. But reality is, that was 10-15 years ago, and not much additional progress has been made. From leading edge to left behind.

From day one you'll likely notice that the Tanks are not quite as 'refined' as Lazers... which should be expected since eXmark has been polishing the same design for over a decade. What I mean is, on a Tank you may hear a little more noise and feel a little more vibration, etc... But hey, these are lawnmowers... not limousines.

Performance wise, these mowers get it done, and they are not picky... they cut everything well and have the highest 'one-pass' cut quality I've seen. They also hold up extremely well with extremely little downtime. Gas, oil, grease, blades, belts and thousands of trouble free production hours. That's why they don't mind to warranty them for 3 years.

High performance, high production, and high reliability.
Very cost effective... a value that is hard to top in any category.

If you live somewhere where you can get them for thousands less also... then trust me... it's a total no-brainer. All that extra money I spent over the years for "name brand" stuff.... I would have gotten more benefit out of it if I had set it on fire.

Anyways, in the end... if I could go back many years in business, this is the one thing I wished I could have went back and changed. If I could I would go back and 'jump ship' for these mowers the very first year they introduced the fabricated deck.

Welcome back by the way:waving:
Out here I can get the 08 Cub with mulch kit and 31 Kawi for $8199. The Exmark Lazer AS is right around 9100 with the same mulch and stripe kit, only has a 28 Kawi. Both are the same weight or very close. I took the Lazer and back up and down a steep hill no problem I didn't have the hill to test the Tank but otherwise It felt the same as far as ride goes. The Tank has a suspension seat on it which was a huge improvement, plus they are working on pretty :laugh: I am wondering but your the expert, if the ROPS being behind the rear tires is 1 of the reasons these back up hills better, increased reverse traction. Would that 70 or 80lbs behind the tire make a big difference. None of my mowers have the rops. I'm still trying to get past all the nay sayers on the Tank, I know the Exmark will last a long time I will probably get 10 yrs out of my old Exmark. But bottom line is we have to save money anywhere we can in this economy, without losing dependability. Beings I don't abuse equipment I'm leaning towards the Tank, I told the Exmark guy that and waiting for his final quote on that machine before I make a decision.

capnsac
07-01-2008, 09:10 AM

I was in your very same shoes when I laid out the $8500 to get mine. I was so skeptical about buying a Tank because of all the naysayers on here. Then I realized something, those naysayers had never owned a Tank before. All they were going off was what was other people had told them. I then talked to people who actually owned Tanks, and man did they love em.

I am one of those people now. I couldn't believe it. Heres a true story for ya. A guy I sub from was also worried because he didn't know if his accounts were going to be taken care of. He saw the tank and he saw the cut, and he saw the end product. He was so impressed he gave me an extra $300/wk in work. I didn't have to do anything, and my Tank was $2000 cheaper than an exmark or scag.

Terms like 'take the plunge' or 'give it a shot' don't fit in this situation. It's a situation where you need the Tank. It is just about everything you are looking for in a mower, and then some. I know I'll never regret it.

ALC-GregH
07-01-2008, 12:03 PM
The commercial line IS made by MTD.

I had the worst luck with a Cub Cadet Enforcer that I'll never buy another MTD product.

MJB
07-01-2008, 05:02 PM

I had the worst luck with a Cub Cadet Enforcer that I'll never buy another MTD product.

After looking at them all the Tank is the only one I would consider as a commercial mower.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
07-01-2008, 11:34 PM

no not true tank is not made by mtd they are made in a different city by a different company that the mtd parent company owns ....:nono: