PDA

View Full Version : Who is your distributor?

Island Lawn
11-10-2001, 10:31 PM
A lot of guys around here use Home Depot and Lowes.
Who live further than 8 miles from one of these store?

About 45 miles away are a couple of irrig supply houses.

Simmons Irrig Supply

Century Rain Aid

I understand that these are both nationwide companies

Can anybody reccommend either?

Are there other nationwide suppliers I could look for?
(Hopefully, there is one that is closer than 45 miles!)

Who do you use?

Fess up, you superstore freaks!
(I've been known to buy a replacement head, or two, from...)

Turf King
11-11-2001, 11:38 PM
Island Lawn,

Im in about the same boat you are I have Lowes about 2 minutes away and nothing else.The next closest would be a good hour each way.Sorry but not much help.

gusbuster
11-13-2001, 11:53 PM
I never new about these companies until I was on the net (Simmons Irrig Supply ,Century Rain Aid )

As for me,
Horizon Irrigation 15 miles
United Green Mark 7 miles
Ewing Irrigation 9 miles
LESCO 40 miles

Depends where I'm installing, but specificly buy my stuff from Horizon. I go to the other places when I need a specialty part that I don't buy in bulk.

As for Lowes', it just opened up this year. (7 miles)
Home Depot, I have 4 different stores all within a 20 minute drive when traffice is normal.

I guess thats what's nice about living in a major populated state.

John

JB1
11-14-2001, 12:10 AM
mine is century rain aid, oops i guess its john deere landscapes now.

SprinklerGuy
11-14-2001, 12:15 AM
Ewing Irrigation 95%
Horizon 5%

greasemonkey
11-14-2001, 07:44 PM
here in michigan, the birthplace of century rain aid, I go there, although they just changed their name to jd landscapes...john deere bought them out. Back In New York where I used to live, I bought from GPM but there were also two other established independant distrubutors. Rain aid had one store in the area. The only time I ever bought from lowes or home depot was when the supply houses were closed and I absolutely had to have something.

-J

HBFOXJr
11-14-2001, 09:09 PM
Century Rain Aid/John Deere Landscapes

They have a catalog, make deliveries and UPS stuff. I can't speak for Lowes but you can't get the true professional products at Depot or the hardware store. Some lower end products are identical and others are cheap junk with the big name. Many people have been ticked off buying RainBird because they thought they were getting the same stuff they'd get from a contractor. Found out it was "consumer grade" product and less satisfactory.

IdylGard
03-12-2002, 12:33 PM
I buy from CPS here in CO. I do know you can get excellent service over the phone or net and they will deliver to my job site. That way I don't have to make the trip out and back.

DanaMac
03-12-2002, 07:25 PM
United Green Mark 85%
LL Johnson 10%
CPS 5%

Planter
03-13-2002, 03:28 AM
85% Ewing
15% local guy (need to have two suppliers, just in case)

I hate to use Home Depot or Lowe's for part. They have consumer grade stuff that won't hold up. We've replace a few Home Depot timers, etc.

I like a professional supply house, they tend to stand behind stuff and give technical advise when I need support.

Foster
03-14-2002, 12:21 PM
...REAMS sprinkler supply out of Sioux City, IA.

JR LeGer
04-04-2002, 12:52 AM
Here in Mesa, AZ we typically use

Sprinkler World--80%
Horizon --10%
Turf Irrigation --8%

Home Depot --2%

The only thing we get from the Depot is pipe (sometimes) and elboes, etc...stuff like that. The majority of the stuff they sell just does not hold up.

I will add a marketing tool we use, however.

I came up with this after looking something at Home Depot one day and hearing a guy in the irrigation area giving the wrong advice (99% of the advice is wrong).

I actually have people who make sure they keep their eyes and ears open at Home Depot etc. when they are there and listen for poor advice. They then hand the customer a card and tell them about our company. We have picked up some big jobs that way.

Sounds tacky and crazy, but it really does work. I make sure we offer no criticizm, but instead offer friendly advice.

Joe

williamslawn
04-14-2002, 09:17 AM
Island Lawn:

You should check with WP Law Inc.

http://www.wplawinc.com/

If you are in SC they should have a location near you.