PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Transmission Fluid

AmsoilPower
02-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Here is a little information regarding Amsoil Universal ATF. Excellent for demanding environments such as towing and hauling. Typically runs up to 50 degrees cooler than conventional ATF and has extended drain capabilities up to 100,000 miles. Full benefits are only achieved with a complete flush & fill, however, it is compatible with conventional fluids. Fuel economy is maximized when used with Amsoil engine oil. Remember, as a lawncare company you are eligible for a Amsoil commercial account. Costs you nothing and saves you 20-30% off retail. PM me if you have any further questions.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g173.pdf

Ridin' Around
03-21-2008, 10:58 AM
What's the difference in the ATF & the ATD? We just got a new 08 Duramax with an Allison 6-speed. It is the 1000 series. We are switching the engine over next week and was wondering about switching the tranny fluid as well.

Nozzleman
03-21-2008, 11:30 AM
What's the difference in the ATF & the ATD? We just got a new 08 Duramax with an Allison 6-speed. It is the 1000 series. We are switching the engine over next week and was wondering about switching the tranny fluid as well.

I am not sure if the Allison has a synthetic fill from the factory in GM pickup's. If not, Allison makes there own synthetic fluid which you can purchase. Personally, I would stick with the Allison synthetic fluid in a warrantied vehicle.

nosparkplugs
03-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Nozzleman, FYI

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. SS 2301-1312 (1982), and general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of product (or any other article) unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the warranty.

AmsoilPower
03-22-2008, 08:57 PM

If your truck requires the Allison TES-295 tranny fluid, you will want to use the Amsoil ATD. This fluid was specifcally engineered for this spec oil. It is recommended to use this in entended drain intervals set by Allison. Also compatible with a C-4 spec oil.

Glad to hear you use Amsoil products in the new truck.

Nozzleman
03-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Nozzleman, FYI

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. SS 2301-1312 (1982), and general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of product (or any other article) unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the warranty.

I've heard about the Magnuson-Moss Act before. However, I also had a 2004 Dodge Ram the required ATF+4 fluid only. I could only purchase the fluid at my local dealer and it wasn't free.

The way I see it, you have to be careful with the M/M Act when dealing with a warranty issue. For example; A new GM/Allison may have a flush and fill interval of 100,000 miles (which may coencide with the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty). However, you decide to drain it at 5,000 miles and switch over to amsoil. At 15,000 the tranny pukes and your GM dealer says no to the warranty claim due to the wrong fluid being used. Your dealer isn't wrong because you chose to change the fluid before the needed service and you used a non approved fluid. However, if you waited to the 100,000 mile service interval the warranty is now expired and the dealer has no obligation to you as far as free fluid to comply with the M/M Act.

All I have said is hypothetical and I may be totally wrong... But I may be right too.:hammerhead:

AmsoilPower
03-23-2008, 08:43 PM
I've heard about the Magnuson-Moss Act before. However, I also had a 2004 Dodge Ram the required ATF+4 fluid only. I could only purchase the fluid at my local dealer and it wasn't free.

The way I see it, you have to be careful with the M/M Act when dealing with a warranty issue. For example; A new GM/Allison may have a flush and fill interval of 100,000 miles (which may coencide with the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty). However, you decide to drain it at 5,000 miles and switch over to amsoil. At 15,000 the tranny pukes and your GM dealer says no to the warranty claim due to the wrong fluid being used. Your dealer isn't wrong because you chose to change the fluid before the needed service and you used a non approved fluid. However, if you waited to the 100,000 mile service interval the warranty is now expired and the dealer has no obligation to you as far as free fluid to comply with the M/M Act.
:

Interesting arguement. You are correct about a warranty being denied w/ a non-approved fluid if it does not meet the manufacturer specs. However, if it meets or exceeds the specs required by the manufacturer regardless of the drain interval, the warranty must be honored or at least cannot be denied because of a different oil other than the manufacturer.

GravelyNut
03-24-2008, 08:13 AM

All I have said is hypothetical and I may be totally wrong... But I may be right too.:hammerhead:Should have been able to get it where Valvoline product were sold.

Lynden-Jeff
03-24-2008, 09:13 AM
As much as im sure its great, I wouldent put anything other then Mercon SP in my Torque Shift.

Ridin' Around
03-24-2008, 04:23 PM
I am not sure if the Allison has a synthetic fill from the factory in GM pickup's. If not, Allison makes there own synthetic fluid which you can purchase. Personally, I would stick with the Allison synthetic fluid in a warrantied vehicle.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1967.pdf
Here's what I found on Amsoil's web site dealing with the Amsoil/Allison fluid question. I also talked to my dealer's service dept. One of the heavy truck techs had experience with a garbage company owned by a family member that had made the switch to Amsoil fluid in their fleet. He spoke very highly of the advantages they had gained by going to Amsoil synthetic fluid in the Allison trannies. They also said I would have no warranty voiding by using the Amsoil, that it was a good product. He said he would rather I buy the GM bottled fluid from him, but understood the advantages of synthetic! Nice guy, great way to keep my business, I appreciate his honesty.