PDA

View Full Version : What else should i sell?

TheOctagon
02-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi everyone i'm new to this site and am excited to dive in. My father and i have just gotten a dealership with BadBoy Mowers. We will be servicing the south central minnesota area. The problem we have is we are starting this business from scratch. I am a powerlineman for a town near by and my dad works at a grain elevator. We are working twards getting him out of that job and workin on his own business. I fell that to really get ahead we should sell more than just these heavy duty ZTR's. What other products and brands do you recommend to sell. I am looking to get into push mowers, snow blowers, weed trimmers, maybe a cheaper ztr line, etc. Thank you in advance.

Randy.

SNAPPER MAN
02-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Stihl and echo for handhelds and for walkbehinds cubcadet commercials are great, push mowers and other walkbehinds toro or exmark would be a good choice.

IndyChad
02-25-2008, 11:14 PM
I think you already have the "cheap" ZTR thing accomplised with the bad boy mowers. Right? Just joking but since you are new, buckle up and get ready for a lot of info coming your way with that question.Good Luck!

TheOctagon
02-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks snapper man. The only problem i run into is 10 miles away there are dealers for both Stihl and Echo. Are there any really good brands that get over looked? Thanks again.

AmsoilPower
02-25-2008, 11:20 PM
What about becoming a Amsoil dealer up there in Minnesota. Sell all the oils you want for your mowers, 2-cycle equipment and an added market in Minnesota-------snowmobiles. Amsoil is big for sled guys. Tap into the vehicle market when mowing season is slow.

I know this doesn't involve big ticket items such as mowers and such, but everything you sell or may sell does require oil of some kind right? There are many other possibilities also.

Just an idea. Let me know if interested.

TomberLawn
02-25-2008, 11:20 PM
There are 3 Echo dealers within about 10 miles of each other in my town, and 2-3 Stihl dealers in the same area. You could check out Shindaiwa, RedMax, and Husqvarna.

TheOctagon
02-25-2008, 11:27 PM
What about becoming a Amsoil dealer up there in Minnesota. Sell all the oils you want for your mowers, 2-cycle equipment and an added market in Minnesota-------snowmobiles. Amsoil is big for sled guys. Tap into the vehicle market when mowing season is slow.

I know this doesn't involve big ticket items such as mowers and such, but everything you sell or may sell does require oil of some kind right? There are many other possibilities also.

Just an idea. Let me know if interested.

I have been thinkin about that too. I run Amsoil in my car already and have always ran it in my sleds. I also run it in my mower. I think becoming a dealer would be a definate plus. What all does it require to become one?

TheOctagon
02-25-2008, 11:28 PM
There are 3 Echo dealers within about 10 miles of each other in my town, and 2-3 Stihl dealers in the same area. You could check out Shindaiwa, RedMax, and Husqvarna.

Ill look into those a little closer. What have you heard about the Dolmar equipment?

touhey33
02-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Go with another commercial product that has a good walkbehind selection as well. (Exmark,Ferris,Hustler) Maybe some Honda or Toro 21" mowers both commercial and residential. Im not sure about good snowblowers. Maybe Husqvarna for trimmers, blowers,chainsaws,etc... Consider selling lawn tractors as well for residential use.

newz7151
02-25-2008, 11:39 PM
I'd think a more important question to be asked of you, before all these suggestions are given, is, what is your or your dad's background in outdoor power equipment repair and what engine lines have you already contacted about being authorized for?

You may think it's going to be easy to get all these other lines just because you already got one, who though it may be a really good mower, seem to set up anybody that asks.

I think that for responses here to be relative to your situation, we need more background information. The outdoor power equipment retailing and servicing industry is not one to just jump into out of the blue although many people initially do it.

Also, there are other websites better tuned to assist you with your current endeavor than Lawnsite, which is mainly for the guys out doing to cutting and landscaping and other work using the machines, as opposed to selling and servicing the machines on a daily basis. While they may be good at their respective fields, they really have no idea about the buying and usage habits of a common residential user of mowers and trimmers and other consumer power equipment.

AmsoilPower
02-25-2008, 11:39 PM
I have been thinkin about that too. I run Amsoil in my car already and have always ran it in my sleds. I also run it in my mower. I think becoming a dealer would be a definate plus. What all does it require to become one?

Glad to hear you are a user. You already know the benefits of Amsoil since you use it. All you need is a tax # and $65 the first year which gets you the dealership and business manual. $30 every year after that. There is no inventory requirements. There is also the option of being just a retail store, but you miss out on any extra possible income. A dealership would probably be a better option for you.

I can mail you an application if you want. My email is htmatthew@sbcglobal.net to give me your address.

newz7151
02-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Ill look into those a little closer. What have you heard about the Dolmar equipment?

The best thing for you to do would be to sign up at www.ppecongress.com , as the members there are more informed to assist your questions.

For instance, what "touhey33" states "Go with another commercial product that has a good walkbehind selection as well. (Exmark,Ferris,Hustler) Maybe some Honda or Toro 21" mowers both commercial and residential. Im not sure about good snowblowers. Maybe Husqvarna for trimmers, blowers,chainsaws,etc... Consider selling lawn tractors as well for residential use. "

Doesn't seem to mention anything about Honda requiring something like a $25,000 investment in the spread of the Honda power equipment line. And likewise with Toro, although maybe not as high an investment. And there isn't enough margin in selling lawn tractors for residential use, depending on your local big box companies and what they are carrying. 80% of residential buyers of lawn equipment buy on price, and if you're carrying a Snapper rider at $2000, and the local Lowes or Depot is carring some other brand at $999 , most likely, the $999 mower is the one the people are going to end up buying, and you've got 5 of the $2000 mowers sitting on your floor getting ready to start charging intrest on your floor plan.

Again, I'm not trying to discourage your endeavor, just stating that this forum is not the best place to ask about starting up an OPE dealership. While you may get some help/answers from the dealers that lurk and post here, there are other avenues of more constant and reliable information.

tb8100
02-26-2008, 01:01 AM
Bad Boy was a great choice for a bang for the buck line. If I were looking to expand to another Z line, it would be a higher end line. Consolidation is the key. I'd look at Toro or Exmark as they have the name recognition for those not willing to take the plunge on a Bad Boy, and they also have nice 21"s and wide area walks. Redmax, Shindaiwa, or Husqvarna on handhelds. If you decide to offer residential products, Snapper is a great choice.

We currently offer Snapper up to the $4000 price point, then Bad Boy and Scag for the higher end stuff. Eventually, we'll probably add Honda for the 21s. Snapper makes a great price point commercial 21 that will sell well.

TomberLawn
02-26-2008, 08:58 AM
I've never seen any Dolmar stuff, or even heard of them, until now. Looks like pretty good equipment. I did a dealer search and found a place 12 miles from me. Do you know what kind of prices they offer?

Green King
02-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Dolmar is great product espesially the chainsaws they are the tops! The dealer in my town just has a field day with the stihl guys!

djagusch
02-26-2008, 10:08 AM
If your selling commerical right now you need to be calling all the commerical guys asking them to come see the new line of mowers that you carry and offer them a good intro price. In about a month it will almost be to late in MN because most guys will be out mowing by that time and purchases/service will be complete.

When you get them in you need to stress service and have the shop looking good (nothing fancy just don't have crap laying in the corners). Most guys like the mower they run because one they think it's the best and second their dealer takes care of them. I run Scags dealer is 3 miles from my house is open 8am to 8pm and if pull in at 9pm he will come out to see what you need so he'll have it done in the morning. Thats service that I never expected to have, but is great.

He' a small shop has about 4 commerical guys on Scags 1 outfit has 5 of the 3 wheeler motors rest is mostly 1 man crew with some help. He carries Shindiawa trimmers that all of us use. He carries country clipper, snapper and simpilicy mowers also which is mostly sold to residential. I think most go to him because his been there forever and knows he'll be able to fix what you got or be able to replace it for you. He does alright, no millionaire buts goes on vacations and seems to enjoy life. Most of the money is made on the service end which any dealer needs to focus on.

Good luck.

tb8100
02-26-2008, 10:27 AM
there is money in whole goods, but margins are much better on parts and service. Can't have one without the other though, so be sure to have all of everything.

meets1
02-26-2008, 10:35 AM
I would hit with quality but at different rates. Say a toro/exmark/ferris/scag Z, the price down to badboy and maybe carry snapper - snapper also has the 21 walkbehinds.

Handhelds - red max, shindawai, kawaski, jonsreed, husquvarna, dolmar are all excellent choice but also high end.

Maybe if your area is big in construction - maybe have some honda pumps, power washers, maybe even handle wacker.

Service is big as well but that is another area. Have a few gas cans on hand, oil, trimmer line, maybe a certain brand of axes, wedges etc. A

A few ideas and run with it. Best of luck!

S L C
02-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi everyone i'm new to this site and am excited to dive in. My father and i have just gotten a dealership with BadBoy Mowers. We will be servicing the south central minnesota area. The problem we have is we are starting this business from scratch. I am a powerlineman for a town near by and my dad works at a grain elevator. We are working twards getting him out of that job and workin on his own business. I fell that to really get ahead we should sell more than just these heavy duty ZTR's. What other products and brands do you recommend to sell. I am looking to get into push mowers, snow blowers, weed trimmers, maybe a cheaper ztr line, etc. Thank you in advance.

Randy.

Hey Octagon :waving:, I tried sending you a private email but you don't have any contact information.... I am very interested in purchasing a high end BadBoy mower this spring or early summer, and you are, or will be the closest dealer that I can find.... shoot me an email at nsevals@hotmail.com with a # you can be reached at, I have a few ??'s for you if you don't mind!!!! :drinkup::drinkup:

VanceTrendov
02-26-2008, 12:02 PM

I think you have a good idea. I respect Shyindaiw, and Redmax just the same, i only like Husquarva saws. But maybe you could network with one of those dealers and not stock any two cycle stuff. I have only bought Exmark and Stihl form two seperate dealers my entire career.

TheOctagon
02-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Thank you everyone for all your input. I have a lot of thinkin to do ha this is a big undertaking but i've never been more excited and the help from all of you will make it much easier on me!

lifetree
02-26-2008, 07:46 PM
You might think about carryng the Dixon line of mowers ... both commercial and homeowner !!

meets1
02-26-2008, 07:59 PM
I was at my kubota/bobcat dealer today and he is dropping dixon and taking on hustler. He said dixon is ok but he is being required to take on additional equipment with only a few months floor plan. Hustler told him he can start with any 2 models, 12 month floor plan and if it doesn't work out for either, they will come and pick up equipment with in the 12 month period. Kubota has a 12 month floor plan and longer on bigger equipment - so he said.

ProStreetCamaro
02-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Thank you everyone for all your input. I have a lot of thinkin to do ha this is a big undertaking but i've never been more excited and the help from all of you will make it much easier on me!

Let me give you some advice from experiance. My friend opened up a lawn and power shop about 6 years ago. He got rejected from all the big name brands because there was already dealers close by. So he decided to carry Bunton and GrassHopper mowers. He was able to get Stihl but no echo.

Well Bunton and Grasshopper are non existant around this area. He sold only a couple ZTR mowers over a perioud of a couple years and finally closed down his mower shop. It was really sad to because he is older and possibly one of the best mechanics ever in this area. He could do it all and he was the best at what ever he did.

Moral of the story is do NOT carry a mower brand that is not popular in your area. He explained to me how these companys work. They put you on a "plan" and yada yada etc etc. The few he sold he lost money on because of all the intrest he paid on them from sitting so long.

If you cant get whats popular then dont even bother opening up a shop period.

meets1
02-26-2008, 09:13 PM
PROSTREET - well said. Same problem I have had with my toro dealers. 2 of them in the last 10 years. They sit with these high end Z's and few home owner models - when they sell these in depot he claims he can buy cheaper at home depot for the same toro than what he can direct. Now I know this is toro and should be good but the interest killed him b/c these toro reps don't care about him - just themselves cuz that is there line of work. To me both dealers carried to much high end equipment for the ave. joe. Ave joe is going to home depot, farm stores of sears. I only have one of these dealers left but he is service only. Does a good job, branched out to all construction companies for there repair work, some light welding and it seems his store is empty but yet it is always full.

TheOctagon
02-26-2008, 10:53 PM
well said and i do agree its tough to bring a new product to the area and expect to come out ahead but at the same time thats the only way to get ahead is to take risks. I only hope that the risk i am taking will pan out in the long run. The harder i work at it the better chance i have of succeeding. If it does not work out then i will have learned from my mistakes and life will go on but i really feel it will work. This mower has been creating quite a buzz around the area.

puppypaws
02-27-2008, 01:16 AM

Randy.

My dealer carries a large number of brand names, the Kiote tractors have done extremely well for him.

http://www.compacttractorreview.com/Sect_Compact.aspx

randyr
03-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Hello "TheOctagon" I was wondering if you would not mind e mailing me? "rrannberg@gmail.com" Thank you
Randy

wheels910
03-24-2008, 10:30 AM
i'd go with husquvarna chainsaws, trimmers, blowers, edgers, etc.

you might also look into selling trailers. utility and landscape.

Pickup a brand of ATV's as well. Suzuki, yamaha, polaris, etc.

Make sure you can service what you sell in a timely manner. Probably worth your while to pay the money for an experienced small engine mechanic.

IMO

topsites
03-24-2008, 10:42 AM
uhm yeah there's chainsaws and hedge trimmers and edgers and push mowers and Wb's and hand held blowers and backpack blowers and all the attachments and fluids and greases and different accessories and spare parts for everything... Most of these mfg'ers will likely set you up relatively quick with a COD account and since there's much doubt concerning credit I think COD would work best.
Also you are responsible for at least the warranty repairs so a shop with tools and air.

Yes sir the good times are either up or we're one short step from it, we done had our boom now it's back to bust so
from here on out it's going to take a whole lot more than a smile and fancy talk and a promise to part the have's from their money.

Not trying to break bad on nobody, even in the recession there is money to be made but it ain't coming easy, not at all.

tb8100
03-24-2008, 10:56 AM
If you cant get whats popular then dont even bother opening up a shop period.

That's not always the best philosophy. We've done very well with Bad Boy and nobody's hardly heard of them in this area. But the product has to have really good value for it to sell well. If you have a no-name mower priced as high as a Toro, invariably the customer will go for the name they recognize. Unless their experience with your dealership is much smoother than at the Toro shop.