PDA

View Full Version : Moving a mower from KY to CA

nherweck
02-26-2008, 06:23 AM
How would I get a Craftsman 33" mower from KY to CA? I may be moving in the fall time, so I need to see how I can ship my 33" Craftsman mower from KY to CA.

I'm probably going to sell my truck when I move, so all I have is a 2005 Scion xB that i don't exactly want to put a lawn mower into.

Thanks!

Richard Martin
02-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Break the handle bars down, drain all of the fluids and crate it up. It could cost several hundreds dollars at least to ship it. They aren't expensive mowers to begin with. Why don't you sell the one you have and buy a new one in Cali?

lawnwizards
02-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Break the handle bars down, drain all of the fluids and crate it up. It could cost several hundreds dollars at least to ship it. They aren't expensive mowers to begin with. Why don't you sell the one you have and buy a new one in Cali?

another thing to add, it might be illegal to use that mower in california with the strict emission standards they have. you might want to check into that before you try to ship it.

gandk06
02-26-2008, 11:24 AM
I have often wondered if equipment can be brought in from other states that don't meet the california emisions. OR, is that you can not sell equipment (from a retailer) that does not meet California specs?

I don't see how they could enforce their emisions policy in a state like California. Do the police stop everyone that is cutting grass and ask to see their papers?

gandk06
02-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Forgot to respond to the original question asked. I would just sell the mower and buy a new one in California. I think you would end up coming out ahead by the time you have to pay to have your mower shipped.

nherweck
02-27-2008, 05:25 AM
Actually, I am going to go with what all of you have said: SELL IT. My mom wanted a new mower, and I only paid $240 for it and it looks BRAND NEW, so she's buying it from me for $300 to cover the cost/time for me to pick up in Indianapolis.

It'll save me plenty of money trying to get it shipped.

Thanks!

gandk06
02-27-2008, 09:41 AM
good idea!

jasonnau
02-27-2008, 10:42 AM
How would I get a Craftsman 33" mower from KY to CA? I may be moving in the fall time, so I need to see how I can ship my 33" Craftsman mower from KY to CA.

I'm probably going to sell my truck when I move, so all I have is a 2005 Scion xB that i don't exactly want to put a lawn mower into.

Thanks!

Nick, I still have some work for you here in Burlington. Sell that dang thing on craig's list and get something better in California. It's not worth the hassle.
This is a message from your old boss Jason.

jasonnau
02-27-2008, 10:43 AM
OH yeah, What else do you have to sell?

nherweck
02-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Hah, hey there Jason! I didn't realize you were on LS ever. Nice to talk to you again--what type of trailer were you titling at the DMV?

Umm...right now I have absolutely nothing to sell. Most of my stuff will be left behind with mom, and anything that fits in the xB will go with me to Cali. I will be taking the new SRM230 with me as well as the BG85 Blower.

Oh yeah, I'm sending you a PM in a few seconds.

packey
02-28-2008, 02:04 AM
fyi if it is a newer craftsman no problem if you are using it for personal use. You might not be able to resell their however. If you are planning on commercial mowing in cali you might think of selling your mower and buying one their ir not check fedex ground they are pretty reasonable.

tacoma200
02-28-2008, 04:50 AM
The cost of living out there will make the mower a non isssue. Or at least the parts of Ca that I lived in.