PDA

View Full Version : Mulch

larryinalabama
02-26-2008, 07:31 AM
With Home Depoit charging around 3$ a bag for mulch I have come up with an idea. Im going to have some canvis sacks made up and buy a tractor trailer load of pine bark mulch. Then fill the sacks and charge 3$ per sack <the same as the box store. per sack INSTALLED. The sacks will be reusable and iI will figure out some way to eaisley refill them.

What do you fellers think? Anyone doing this?

Mowgli
02-26-2008, 08:46 AM
What is your purpose for doing that?

gandk06
02-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Why would you waste your time filling each sack if you are going to install it. Have it delivered to the site via truck and use a wheel barrow.

larryinalabama
02-26-2008, 09:19 AM
That would of coarse be for smaller jobs, no way to hall bulk mulch in the truck with the eqiptment in it.

In other words if a homeowner were to go to Home Depoit for 10 sacks, If they new I offered this service they would call me first. Quick 30$ Im thinking.

gandk06
02-26-2008, 09:26 AM
So I am assuming that you are buying the mulch somewhere else in bulk for less than 3 bucks, right? Now, lets say you are getting it for $2. You will have now made a whole $10 for your time and fuel usage. Great idea! Would you be will to travel to my house to mulch my yard.

I think you need to rethink your idea if you want to make any money in this business.:hammerhead:

hackitdown
02-26-2008, 09:36 AM
That would of coarse be for smaller jobs, no way to hall bulk mulch in the truck with the eqiptment in it.

You could try removing your equipment, have the mulch loaded at the supplier, then lay the rakes, shovels, and wheelbarrow on top of the load of mulch. Drive to your 1st customer, shovel from the truck into the wheelbarrow, install mulch. Place tools back in truck. Proceed to 2nd customer, and so on. You could even invest in a Loadhandler to make this process easier.

Or you could load it into bags, then empty the bags. Then reload it for even more fun. It would be excellent exercise.

echeandia
02-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Why are you buying mulch from Home Depot? Go to a nursery and set up an account as a contractor. You will get better pricing.

larryinalabama
02-26-2008, 09:46 AM
My thinking is I can fill a sack of mulch for around .40 cents. I understand that this will not work for big projects. I already have a Tractor trailer load of mulch to do my own yard. I have devised a holder that holds 5 sacks and i can fill them with a couple of scoops with my excavator. I can fill 10 sacks in less than 2 minutes, thats faster than loading a wheel borrow with bulk from the back of my truck.

Its just a thought but Im thinking bulk mulch for small jobs is a hassle

DiGiTLawncare
02-26-2008, 09:57 AM
I believe he stated he was going to buy it by the truck load.... which when I last bought mulch by the truck load I paid $1150 some odd dollars and it was for 65 cubic yards of mulch. I believe that the bags at home depot are 1-3 cubic feet? Say they are 3 cubic feet. They are paying about $1 per cubic foot of mulch from HomeDepot. He is paying $1150 for 65 cubic yards x 27 cubic feet per yard = 1755 total cubic feet. Well 1755/3 = 585 3 cubic yard bags or much x $3 = once again $1755. He is paying .65 cents per yard and selling it for $1.00. $605 profit. Maybe just for selling it though. Not to go lay it would I bag it. Not enough profit for the time for me to bother with but to each his own.

I hope noone gets lost in my mathmatical equation. lol

gandk06
02-26-2008, 10:10 AM
I believe he stated he was going to buy it by the truck load.... which when I last bought mulch by the truck load I paid $1150 some odd dollars and it was for 65 cubic yards of mulch. I believe that the bags at home depot are 1-3 cubic feet? Say they are 3 cubic feet. They are paying about $1 per cubic foot of mulch from HomeDepot. He is paying $1150 for 65 cubic yards x 27 cubic feet per yard = 1755 total cubic feet. Well 1755/3 = 585 3 cubic yard bags or much x $3 = once again $1755. He is paying .65 cents per yard and selling it for $1.00. $605 profit. Maybe just for selling it though. Not to go lay it would I bag it. Not enough profit for the time for me to bother with but to each his own.

I would agree with the ability to make a profit when buying in large bulk quantities. But I doubt this guy is going to buy 65 yards at a time and then fill bags with it.

larryinalabama
02-26-2008, 10:28 AM

This is no get rich sceam, its just a service I want to offer to my customers, mabey I can get 4$ per sack installed. Say install 10 sacks at 3$ profit thats a quick 30$ I make, why let the customer burn gas to spend their money at the BOX store

gandk06
02-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Sounds like you are going to try this no matter what anyone says. Just make sure you know your costs and decide what you want to make in the end.

If you are happy with $30 for an hours + work than so be it.

larryinalabama
02-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Sounds like you are going to try this no matter what anyone says. Just make sure you know your costs and decide what you want to make in the end.

If you are happy with $30 for an hours + work than so be it.

Well I can fill 10 sacks load them on the truck, then unload and spread is less than a 20 minute job, so that makes 60$ per hour and that Im happy with.

Thanks for the imput everyone, I will only offer this service to my weekley service customers, anyway if they want me to mulch theres no way I can say no.

I think driving to a customer only to spread 10 sacks of mulch and nothing more would be a waste of good gas.

DiGiTLawncare
02-26-2008, 11:22 AM
At .40 cents a sack even if they are 1cubic foot sacks I dont understand how your cost is that cheap? .40 (a cubic foot) x 1755 (how many cubic feet are in a tractor trailer load) = $702. Thats what you are paying for 65 yards of mulch? If so you are getting a great deal! I bought 3 tractor trailer loads last year and the best price I got was I think a little over $1000.00 for the truck load.

Allens LawnCare
02-26-2008, 11:30 AM
If you have the time to do all this you need to change your advertising around and get more mowing accounts!!!

gandk06
02-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Well I can fill 10 sacks load them on the truck, then unload and spread is less than a 20 minute job, so that makes 60$ per hour and that Im happy with.

Thanks for the imput everyone, I will only offer this service to my weekley service customers, anyway if they want me to mulch theres no way I can say no.

I think driving to a customer only to spread 10 sacks of mulch and nothing more would be a waste of good gas.

O.K. you win.

There is more to it than that. But if you think that is all that is involved, go for it!:hammerhead:

Good luck

Sunstate Lawn
02-26-2008, 01:03 PM
I think I understand what Larrys talking about. Sight association... people see 3 bucks a bag or 3 bucks a bag installed. I think you could get the same results with a picture on a flyer or on the side of your truck

hackitdown
02-26-2008, 01:37 PM
It still makes no sense whatsoever to fill bags. If you can load bags with your machine, then why not load your truck or trailer? Lay down a tarp in the truck if you don't want to shovel. If a customer says "I want 10 sacks" just deliver and install that much, and leave the bags at home. I can't see how filling and unfilling bags makes the process any more productive.

What the heck is up with the sacks? How do sacks help in any way? Why mess with sacks?

Mowgli
02-26-2008, 08:30 PM
This is no get rich sceam, its just a service I want to offer to my customers, mabey I can get 4$ per sack installed. Say install 10 sacks at 3$ profit thats a quick 30$ I make, why let the customer burn gas to spend their money at the BOX store

Boy, you have a lot to learn.:hammerhead: I hope you keep reading and listen to the guys on here.

krisuk80
02-26-2008, 11:27 PM

How does that make you $60 per hour? lets say for arguments sake:

10 bags of mulch cost = $22.00
10 Bags of mulch sale = $30.00

Profit of = $8.00

Now look at that profit and by the time youve loaded the bags, loaded the truck, drove to the job, unloaded the truck, laid the mulch, and drove off the site, it doesn't look so good... (Not even including the cost of sacks in this)

Or am i missing a major part of whats going on here?

larryinalabama
02-27-2008, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE=Sunstate Lawn;2175546]I think I understand what Larrys talking about. Sight association... people see 3 bucks a bag or 3 bucks a bag installed. I think you could get the same results with a picture on a flyer or on the side of your truck[/QUOTE

Look at it from this aspect. You have a full service account, your customer over the weekend purchases 10 sacks of mulch from Wall Mart. You show up and they ask you to put the mulck in a particular floewr bed. So what are you to do Me Im gonna put the mulch where they want it. I can not tell the customer it will be 2$ extra per sack when I will only stay my alloted time there anyway. So if I offer mulch for the same pric as Wally world Im turn a looser into some pocket change, all the customer has to do is let me know to bring mulch on the next service, much eaiser than loading up there SUV and having to clean it.

In the winter I plant annuals bulbs just to keep accounts going through out the year. Sure I could advertise for more grass cutting, but everyone and their brother is cutting grass.

gandk06
02-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Just a question. If you are willing to put mulch for pretty much nothing because you are already there, what are you charging for the lawns you are cutting?

Give me an average size lawn that you cut and price please.

larryinalabama
02-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Just a question. If you are willing to put mulch for pretty much nothing because you are already there, what are you charging for the lawns you are cutting?

Give me an average size lawn that you cut and price please.

I base my weekley maintance on 45$ per hour. Im just part time and only have 7 accounts. The lot sizes are 12000 to 15000 sq' I usually spend 45 minutes and get 35$ per week. Zosia and Burmuda are dormant this time of year so I do my heavy prunning and mulching this time of year inorder to keep the accounts going.

topsites
02-27-2008, 09:26 AM
LOL I already do that except I skip the bagging part and just take the mulch straight and put it wherever they want lmao!

Hell yeah foo' if they want x number of bags I just calculate the cubic yards that would take, drive out to the mulch yard, they load me up, I drive to the customer's house and pitchfork and a wheel barrow. And I'd bet it's cheaper since I don't fool with the bags.

Why I even believe that's the way most Lco's do it, I think.

By the way, around my neck of the woods we do a cubic yard for $45 delivered + installed.
Of course that's probably what you were after :laugh:

DiGiTLawncare
02-27-2008, 09:45 AM
$45? I get minimum $60. Sometimes its closer to $80 for a yard.

gandk06
02-27-2008, 09:52 AM
I base my weekley maintance on 45$ per hour. Im just part time and only have 7 accounts. The lot sizes are 12000 to 15000 sq' I usually spend 45 minutes and get 35$ per week. Zosia and Burmuda are dormant this time of year so I do my heavy prunning and mulching this time of year inorder to keep the accounts going.

We are not trying to be a D**k to you but we want you to realize that you need to make money in this business. If you goal is $45 an hour then charge $45 an hour + materials to install mulch.

You just need to realize the time it takes to load up the mulch in bags, load it on the truck, unload it, install and spread it, and clean up.

That is great if you want to give your customers an alternative to buying it themselves, just make a profit while you are at it and do it the easiest way possible.

There is a reason why no other landscape company is doing it your way, because the traditional deliver/wheelbarrow is the most effective for most jobs.

larryinalabama
02-27-2008, 10:05 AM
We are not trying to be a D**k to you but we want you to realize that you need to make money in this business. If you goal is $45 an hour then charge $45 an hour + materials to install mulch.

You just need to realize the time it takes to load up the mulch in bags, load it on the truck, unload it, install and spread it, and clean up.

That is great if you want to give your customers an alternative to buying it themselves, just make a profit while you are at it and do it the easiest way possible.

There is a reason why no other landscape company is doing it your way, because the traditional deliver/wheelbarrow is the most effective for most jobs.

OK So I change my delivery, but I still want to make a little bit off the mulch as well. In other words if I make 45 per hour and extra 10 off mulch or annuals or wharever, my labor jumps to 55 and 60 per hour

hackitdown
02-27-2008, 12:30 PM
OK So I change my delivery, but I still want to make a little bit off the mulch as well. In other words if I make 45 per hour and extra 10 off mulch or annuals or wharever, my labor jumps to 55 and 60 per hour

Forget about all that bag stuff. Determine a price per yard installed. Around here, mulch costs $65/yd delivered and installed. That is the going rate from pros.

Here is how you make money. I can have 10 yards dropped at the customer for about $300. I can install it in 5 hrs (yes it is true). I bill the customer $650, making $350. So I think that works out to $70/hr. My normal rate is $50/hr, but why charge less?

Smaller amounts I just go to the supplier and have it dumped in my trailer or pickup. Simple.

gandk06
02-27-2008, 12:37 PM
That is way I do it too. You can make killer money installing mulch. No special tools needed. It does not get much easier than mulching.

Most people don't want the hassle of installing it themselves, so charge accordingly and make some money.