PDA

View Full Version : Massey Z

JimQ
02-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Anyone ever seen one of these? What did you think of it? Have they been around a while?

http://www.masseyferguson.com/agco/MF/NA/Lawn/MFZTMower/ZeroTurnMower.htm

Q

tb8100
02-26-2008, 02:34 PM
I havent seen one in person. They dont strike me as anything special though.

All_Toro_4ME
02-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Been to the website a few times. Dont know much to think about them, nothing special to me.

tb8100
02-26-2008, 04:21 PM
wouldnt surprise me if they did what landpride did- farm the design process out. LP had Hustler design theirs.

mowerconsultant
02-26-2008, 04:35 PM
I don't see a lot of them out there.
They are made by Iseki for Massey.

http://www.iseki.co.jp/english/products/prod-zero.html

Pj

mowerconsultant
02-26-2008, 04:37 PM
wouldnt surprise me if they did what landpride did- farm the design process out. LP had Hustler design theirs.

We didnt design a mower for Landpride, we made it, it was our unit to begin with.
When our relationship ended with Landpride they designed their own.

Pj

JimQ
02-26-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't see a lot of them out there.
They are made by Iseki for Massey.

http://www.iseki.co.jp/english/products/prod-zero.html

Pj

Thanks PJ. Good info.

Q

QualityLawnCare4u
02-26-2008, 05:58 PM
I saw one recently on display in the mall. First one I hav ever saw and don't know of anyone here using them. I made a comment to my son about the size of the mower though, it looked like a beast. You will need a big trailor to put it on.

tb8100
02-26-2008, 06:07 PM
We didnt design a mower for Landpride, we made it, it was our unit to begin with.
When our relationship ended with Landpride they designed their own.

Pj

So that's the other side of the story. Landpride dealers still to this day claim their mowers are a Hustler design.

Green King
02-27-2008, 10:55 AM
So did bad boy and montana!

retrodog
02-27-2008, 12:27 PM

Bad Boy designed and built theirs from the ground up I believe. I actually saw the first one made in his garage. Pretty neat to see the first one hand built sitting next to their 35hp Cat Diesel with 72in"....lol

tb8100
02-27-2008, 01:12 PM

That's right. Bad Boy rebadged some of their mowers and painted them green for Montana to help build up volume. Their relationship ended in 2005, and I guess Montana kept the old design and smaller engines. They dont even stack up to Bad Boy today.

grassman177
02-27-2008, 07:38 PM
the massey looks like the old kubota design before the pro deck. it might be a good running machine but looks old style and retro. i bet the deck sucks sucks. but never know

grassman177
02-27-2008, 07:42 PM
this is really funny, someone read the iseki website info on the mower, sounds like a semi literate Japanese dude wrote it. i couldn't stop laughing the whole way through. u thinm, they would be better about posting words on a website with grammar check

THat is some funny SSSSSHHHHHHHH&@&^@$*@@$^@$@$^$TTTTT right there

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
02-27-2008, 08:00 PM
I demoed one when it first came out back in 2006. It was a very nice mower, had plenty of power, cut quality was good, very comfortable mower. We were planning on trading in the M60 Tank towards it but the dealer wouldn't budge off the price so we kept what we got. They are a little too pricey to me. Damn good mower, but you have to have some big open accounts to justify it as there is now way you could use it for resi's, it's too big and heavy.

tb8100
02-27-2008, 08:57 PM
I demoed one when it first came out back in 2006. It was a very nice mower, had plenty of power, cut quality was good, very comfortable mower. We were planning on trading in the M60 Tank towards it but the dealer wouldn't budge off the price so we kept what we got. They are a little too pricey to me. Damn good mower, but you have to have some big open accounts to justify it as there is now way you could use it for resi's, it's too big and heavy.

how much was it?

Green King
02-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Bad Boy was definately inspired by some of the other multible frame rail machines! That is in my opion a pretty good thing!

I heard that montana has not been able to sell there units they bought from bad boy! If you go to there site the specs sure match up very close to what bb builds currently!

tb8100
02-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Bad Boy was definately inspired by some of the other multible frame rail machines! That is in my opion a pretty good thing!

I heard that montana has not been able to sell there units they bought from bad boy! If you go to there site the specs sure match up very close to what bb builds currently!

they're basically like 2005 model Bad Boys, prior to the CAT diesels, prior to any of the big block engines, suspension, swing out tanks, front baffling on decks, etc etc etc. And they're more expensive than the Bad Boys.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
how much was it?

The 60" with the smaller of the 2 diesels was somewhere around $11K. Now it was a good mower and for someone who would be able to use it daily it would probably be a good buy but we were interested mainly for our own 7 acres and in the possibility of landing a large job or two. For us it was a want rather then a need but just couldn't justify the money difference. If I remember, they were offering $6K to trade the M60 in with like 70 hours on it, and still wanted $4500-5000 difference.

tb8100
02-27-2008, 09:53 PM
you're right, Bad Boy is heavily influenced by alot of mower companies. I see
some Hustler-esque features (mostly the fuel tanks), alot of Dixie Chopper influence, some Ferris influence (suspension), and influence from a couple of other mowers.

mag360
02-27-2008, 11:26 PM
I know there was a lawnsite member who had one. He had a kubota zd28, then bought the massey 33hp diesel and felt it was a much better machine all around---can't remember his name....

mag360
02-27-2008, 11:50 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=159200&highlight=massey+ferguson

Here it is.

Green King
02-28-2008, 12:02 AM
I have not looked recently at montana's site but they had a cat unit listed I think it was a 60" machine.

tacoma200
02-28-2008, 12:48 AM
They may be great machine, but I tend to stay with the top volume ZTR company's. There just seems to be more R&D, experience, quality control, and often more efficient manufacturing which leads to lower cost. This is not always true, and this is just my opinion, but large company's such as Deere or Exmark have so much more money to invest in designing a ZTR.

I'm Leary of company's such as Land Pride, Woods, etc that build a limited number of ZTR's and often switch manufacturers or suppliers of parts, etc. Though they may build a quality product. Woods is a prime example of changing suppliers of parts and machines over the years.

MSS Mow
08-27-2008, 04:30 PM
I know there was a lawnsite member who had one. He had a kubota zd28, then bought the massey 33hp diesel and felt it was a much better machine all around---can't remember his name....

Hey, that was me!! I actually had a ZD 21 at the time. and yes, the massey was a much better machine than the ZD 21.

I've since traded the ZD 21 for the newer ZD 331. Since the Kubota ZD 331 and the Massey ZT33 are nearly identical (size, hp, deck, etc) it's easier to compare. I would have to say I like the Kubota even better than the Massey. The Kubota is a much better ride and will discharge the grass a country mile. Works well as a blower to clean off drives, etc. where as the Massey doesn't do well in the "blower" category. Cut wise though, the Massey does real well.

Anyone else running the Massey ZT33? I'm having trouble getting blades at a reasonable price. Blades are just shy of $50 each. I can get a set of 3 for my Kubota for less than $60.

MONTE
03-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Anyone have current pricing on these?

MONTE
03-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Are you running a 60" or 72" mower deck on your massey?

MSS Mow
03-16-2009, 07:48 AM
Are you running a 60" or 72" mower deck on your massey?

I'm running the 33hp, 72" deck on my Massey. This mower will be in the $13,000 range. I would definately get the Kubota 331 72" over this machine, for about the same $$$.

WREBELMACHINE
10-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Can someone tell me if the massey is pump wheel motor drive or is it like the kubota?

pugs
10-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Can someone tell me if the massey is pump wheel motor drive or is it like the kubota?

Check on their parts lookup website. I was messing with it. I didnt have time to install the proper plugin to see the breakdowns though...but that will tell you what type of system it has.

I am guessing its more like the Kubota since it has an electro/hydrualic clutch system for the blades.

zman2307
10-02-2009, 05:36 PM
I looked at this machine at EXPO last year. The deck looked a little light-duty compared to some, and you could tell a tractor manufacturer made it, rather than a ZTR manufacturer. Too niche market. Most Massey dealers don't stock it just cause they would rather carry a full line of Zs.

MONTE
10-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I thought I had read somewhere these had a 7 guage deck on them! Also I beleve they are pump wheel motor machines.