PDA

View Full Version : bag/mulch/discharge

mp067
02-26-2008, 04:25 PM
well every year i run into the same dilemma. should I bag, mulch, or discharge my clippings? I hardly ever see anyone here in the Northeast bag, however I feel discharging the clippings looks like crap. Does anyone mulch with a 60 inch rider? Or mulch with a 36 inch w/b?. Those are the two pieces of equipment that I use on my residential customers. Thanks for the imput.

touhey33
02-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Ill never bag, your taking nutrients out of the ground. If the grass is tall and thick just double cut. I side discharge, mulch in the summer.

Raven386
02-26-2008, 04:33 PM
I always side discharge. we only bag if its absolutely necessary. if its wet out we just double cut.

grassgirl4
02-26-2008, 05:54 PM
If you double-cut, do you charge more/tack on more to the bill than if you single-cut? This has been one of my dilemmas since I started in 2005. We all know that spring growth is out-of-control but that summers level off, so how do you account for the extra time required in the spring to keep the lawn from looking like doo-doo??

Would an average price be the answer? (figuring a double-cut price for a certain number of weeks in the spring and averaging it with the normal single-cut price during the rest of the season to come up with a consistent weekly set price?)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-26-2008, 06:23 PM
I mulch everything unless too tall then I double cut discharge.

JayD
02-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Good questions.......someone please answer.

F Y P M
02-26-2008, 07:11 PM
I really must be missing the boat on this. We bag at least 3 out of the 4 weeks we cut regardless of the length. I found that it really does not take as long as double cutting, and it takes less gas. Most of my clients have 5 to 6 fertilizing applications and the lawn is by no means starving for nutrition. IMO not bagging is like going out to dinner and having to pay extra for utensils.