PDA

View Full Version : Mowing setup ideas

S man
02-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Right now I have 4 21"s and one 34" ztr. The ztr is a phazer that doesn't have true commercial pumps and wheel motors. Anyway I want to get a bigger ztr like a 46" exmark lazer hp or scag tigercub 48". I went by my dealer today and tried out a wright stander 32" and loved it. I'm going to demo it when spring gets here. Should I sell the phazer and a 21" and get the wright stander and a bigger ztr. Or should I keep the phazer and just get a bigger ztr? I want to have two 21"s a 32 34" size mower (stander or phazer) and a 48" ztr on my trailer for this year once the work starts picking up. What should I do?

FinerCutslawnCare
02-26-2008, 07:10 PM
I guess i need to ask the first question and that is how are you doing with your mowers right now(i mean how big are the lawns u are mowing). I always think about do i really need this, say you have all 1/4 acre lawns, you woudn't want to go out and buy a 72" ztr. Wat i am asking is wat is the biggest lawn you have and how long does it take you?

S man
02-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Some of my lawns are less than 1/4 acre and some are more than 1/4 acre. I have been using the ztr on most so far and the results are good. I have some that a 48" ztr would really help on because the 34" ztr takes to long.

freshprince94
02-26-2008, 07:45 PM
i would keep the phazer rather than getting a 32 stander. the phazer is a commercial quality mower.

as for the ztr, i would stay with exmark. sell the 21s you like least (according to your post in the pics forum u like the toros best) and put that money towards a 48 ztr. the lazer HP you mentioned is no longer available in a 48 model but is made in a 46. 2 inches shouldnt make that much of a difference. you can get that mower with the 19 or 23 hp kawasaki motor. that mower should work for you unless you have gate issues.

just my 2 cents.
ps: u helped me with my own mower decision in the exmark forum. i will be going with a 34 ztr, either the phazer, gravely 34z, toro z-master 34, or dixie chopper silver eagle.

lifetree
02-26-2008, 07:56 PM
... keep the phazer rather than getting a 32 stander ... as for the ztr ... sell the 21s you like least ... and put that money towards a 48 ztr ...

I have to agree, there are soem properties where the 34" ZTR will come in handy and some where a larger ZTR will come in handy !! Concerning brands, stay with what you like ... if that's Toro or Exmark, then stay with that !!

S man
02-27-2008, 01:50 AM
Fresh prince, thanks for the advice. I agree with what you said and do like the lazer hp with 46" deck. I was going to keep the phazer and and the bigger ztr but tried out the stander today and was really impressed with it. I need to demo it though to really see if it's worth it over my phazer. The dealer that carries that wright doesn't sell toro or exmark but sells snapper scag wright hustler redmax and husky. The dealer that sells exmark is a little further away but is a great dealer imo. That's where I got my phazer and service my toros. So I like both dealers and would work with both if I go with the stander. But the dealer that carries the stander is right down the road from me and is very professional so I lean toward going with a stander.

Valk
02-27-2008, 01:54 AM
Get a 48 or 52 Stander and keep your Phazer 34...

Envy Lawn Service
02-27-2008, 04:43 AM
I really don't see any point much in small sit-n-ride ZTR's.

I'm sure they beat a walkbehind for some reasons on small back yards.
But if compact is what you need, standers/sentars/others are probably the better tool.
More compact in other ways and probably more stable.

In areas where there are no gates to squeeze through, I see no point in anything that is not too large for the job. Some overkill is good.

There is no replacement for the biggest cutting swaths you can use, provided they give a premium cut in your conditions.

I think you should sell some 21's and get a larger rider if you can justify it.
But don't forget to consider trailer space, tow weight, tow vehicle, etc...

You might find it more cost effective in the end to go with a pair of standers or something.
Better to spend money on things that improve your productivity than to spend it on transport items.

Catch my drift?

Nick's Lawn Care
02-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Well a 46" deck is only 12" bigger and with over lap you wont be cuting down on time by a whole lot (other than speed). I own a 36" and a 48" and i wish i had bought the 52" instead. - Just a thought

S man
02-27-2008, 02:08 PM
I really don't see any point much in small sit-n-ride ZTR's.

I'm sure they beat a walkbehind for some reasons on small back yards.
But if compact is what you need, standers/sentars/others are probably the better tool.
More compact in other ways and probably more stable.

In areas where there are no gates to squeeze through, I see no point in anything that is not too large for the job. Some overkill is good.

There is no replacement for the biggest cutting swaths you can use, provided they give a premium cut in your conditions.

I think you should sell some 21's and get a larger rider if you can justify it.
But don't forget to consider trailer space, tow weight, tow vehicle, etc...

You might find it more cost effective in the end to go with a pair of standers or something.
Better to spend money on things that improve your productivity than to spend it on transport items.

Catch my drift?

That's my point with the small ztr, Why have a rider in a small width when the stander will be more productive in tight spaces and is more commercial grade with true pumps and wheel motors. J Bret who lives in my area is selling his 32" stander for $3000 and has 17 hrs on it. Should I get it? and I do need to sell two of the 21"s or at least one probably the commerical snapper being that it is heavy and is outcut by both the other snapper and the toros. I really only need the toro with the honda engine and the residential snapper. But I really want to keep my 2 stroke for backup. I do think a larger rider would help or maybe a larger stander with the 48" rh. That model goes for $7000 here. I can get a exmark lazer hp 19/46 for $6000 on promo where I got my phazer. Both dealers are pretty good with the brands I mentioned earlier.

coonman
02-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Some of my lawns are less than 1/4 acre and some are more than 1/4 acre. I have been using the ztr on most so far and the results are good. I have some that a 48" ztr would really help on because the 34" ztr takes to long.

How big are these lawns that you say are over 1/4 acre? The ones that are below a 1/4 acre, I think your are set up just right. You say that it takes too long with the Phaser on the larger ones. How long is too long? I would hate to buy a new 5-7k mower that will only save me just a few minutes here and there. It sounds like you have a lot of tight areas if you are considering the 32inch stander. I would stay lean and mean with the stander or phazer unless you have a lot or are planning on getting a lot more larger wide open lawns. Its better to spend a few minutes extra with your smaller mowers on some of your larger lawns, instead of having a much larger mower that just ends up sitting on the trailer on more than half your lawns because of tight spaces.

S man
02-27-2008, 06:17 PM
How big are these lawns that you say are over 1/4 acre? The ones that are below a 1/4 acre, I think your are set up just right. You say that it takes too long with the Phaser on the larger ones. How long is too long? I would hate to buy a new 5-7k mower that will only save me just a few minutes here and there. It sounds like you have a lot of tight areas if you are considering the 32inch stander. I would stay lean and mean with the stander or phazer unless you have a lot or are planning on getting a lot more larger wide open lawns. Its better to spend a few minutes extra with your smaller mowers on some of your larger lawns, instead of having a much larger mower that just ends up sitting on the trailer on more than half your lawns because of tight spaces.

I see what you're saying. I only have about 5-6 lawns that could use the bigger ztr and would be cutting off maybe 10-15 mins vs. using the stander or phazer. I need to either get some big props this year to justify buying a larger ztr or will stick with smaller props. and get the stander to complement my phazer and sell a 21 or two.

CLS LLC
02-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Well a 46" deck is only 12" bigger and with over lap you wont be cuting down on time by a whole lot (other than speed). I own a 36" and a 48" and i wish i had bought the 52" instead. - Just a thought

wait, you're saying that 12 inches won't cut down on time much, yet you're worried about the 4 inches from a 48" to a 52" how does that make sense? Also correct me if I'm wrong but you will need overlap whether it's a 46 inch mower or a 34 inch mower?

S man
02-27-2008, 09:38 PM
wait, you're saying that 12 inches won't cut down on time much, yet you're worried about the 4 inches from a 48" to a 52" how does that make sense? Also correct me if I'm wrong but you will need overlap whether it's a 46 inch mower or a 34 inch mower?

I think the 46" would be more productive over the 34 easily.

Quality Cuts PLS
02-27-2008, 09:47 PM
The Phazer does have true commercial pumps and motors, they are just integrated into a single case. I used to run the 34 Phazer and a 52 Lazer AS; it was a great combination. If you want the Phazer to be more durable, put the canister air filter kit on it. Also for a better ride put the standard Lazer EVS seat on it; it made a big difference, a much less jarring ride.

S man
02-27-2008, 11:50 PM
The Phazer does have true commercial pumps and motors, they are just integrated into a single case. I used to run the 34 Phazer and a 52 Lazer AS; it was a great combination. If you want the Phazer to be more durable, put the canister air filter kit on it. Also for a better ride put the standard Lazer EVS seat on it; it made a big difference, a much less jarring ride.

They might be commercial but they are less responsive and very whiny! The stander is VERY responsive.

BigLag
02-28-2008, 10:23 AM
S Man..i'm pretty close to you. if you are interested in getting rid of the phazer, let me know. I MAY be in the market for a 34" soon. Also, i have a scag 52 i might be getting rid of. if you're looking for something new, check out gautreauxslawnandgarden.com . they're located in gonzales, la and running some promo prices that are good until march 1.

Blueribbonlawns
02-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Like somebody else said it is stupid to have a small ztr so what im going to do is get a bigger deck for my walker, And for the backyard problem im getting a quick 36 i think it will work great they look like good mowers.

BigLag
02-28-2008, 11:54 AM
stupid? come on dude, that's a bold statement. to each his own. if all you have is small yards, and you can zip around on a small z without the fatigue factor, don't think it's very stupid. and what if you can get a used small z for the price of a walk behind...is it still stupid?

Big C
02-28-2008, 12:18 PM
S Man..i'm pretty close to you. if you are interested in getting rid of the phazer, let me know. I MAY be in the market for a 34" soon. Also, i have a scag 52 i might be getting rid of. if you're looking for something new, check out gautreauxslawnandgarden.com . they're located in gonzales, la and running some promo prices that are good until march 1.

Geatreaux's Lawn is having the grand opening of their Prairieville store on March 1st and will have 10% off of all items. They will also have an open house at the Gonzales store on March 15th...going saturday to pickup a Redmax edger & blower.......FYI

Big C
02-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Like somebody else said it is stupid to have a small ztr so what im going to do is get a bigger deck for my walker, And for the backyard problem im getting a quick 36 i think it will work great they look like good mowers.

The Quicks are great I love mine....customer service is top knoch too!

Blueribbonlawns
02-28-2008, 12:55 PM
stupid? come on dude, that's a bold statement. to each his own. if all you have is small yards, and you can zip around on a small z without the fatigue factor, don't think it's very stupid. and what if you can get a used small z for the price of a walk behind...is it still stupid?

That's true if your only doing residential lawns but i have learned myself that if is not wise to get a small deck on a mower when you are mowing residential and commercial properties it takes too long so that is why i said it is stupid,
But you are correct if you are only mowing residential lawns it will be fine but i highly suggest a walker for the residential they are awsome.

S man
02-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Biglag, thanks for the dealer info. I'll check it out. And if I sell the phazer I'll let you know. Right now it only has 70 hrs on it and runs perfect. No probs yet. I'll ask $3300 for it.

BigLag
02-28-2008, 01:16 PM
That's true if your only doing residential lawns but i have learned myself that if is not wise to get a small deck on a mower when you are mowing residential and commercial properties it takes too long so that is why i said it is stupid,
But you are correct if you are only mowing residential lawns it will be fine but i highly suggest a walker for the residential they are awsome.

well, i don't actually have only small res yards..most of mine are acreage. i have one 52 scag and am about to get either another 52 or 60, but i have a few areas i cant get to with a big mower. thats why im looking at getting a 32 to 36 mower...even considering a small rear engine. push mowing takes too long for these areas. so just weighing my options.

Blueribbonlawns
02-28-2008, 01:26 PM
well, i don't actually have only small res yards..most of mine are acreage. i have one 52 scag and am about to get either another 52 or 60, but i have a few areas i cant get to with a big mower. thats why im looking at getting a 32 to 36 mower...even considering a small rear engine. push mowing takes too long for these areas. so just weighing my options.

Yep quick 36'' baby cant beat the price!

BigLag
02-28-2008, 01:30 PM
been looking at those...strong possibility. i like that they are so light weight.

SKAGMAN7
02-28-2008, 04:53 PM
I have a wright stander 32" with about 110 hrs.on it and in like new condition that I'm willing to sell. Private message me if you or anyone is is interested.

K c m
02-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Sell the phazer and get a 36" exmark metro. MOst guys on this site don't seem to admit that wb's are very lucrative. I am with you man and mow side by sides and row homes about 1/4 acre. I have a 36" and a 48" metro with velkie and man o man. the wb's on those props will make you money! + there is very minimal amount of maintenence on them.

good luck. if you have any other questions shoot me a pm.

rob.

freshprince94
02-28-2008, 05:15 PM
KCM:

do you have any problems with the velke on the metro?

topsites
02-28-2008, 05:17 PM
For small lots like that I don't even load the Z, that's what the 48" WB is for.

BigLag
02-28-2008, 05:27 PM
skagman, how much are those new and how much would you want for yours. i certainly wouldnt want to drive all the way to ohio to get it though. just curious i guess.

S man
02-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Sell the phazer and get a 36" exmark metro. MOst guys on this site don't seem to admit that wb's are very lucrative. I am with you man and mow side by sides and row homes about 1/4 acre. I have a 36" and a 48" metro with velkie and man o man. the wb's on those props will make you money! + there is very minimal amount of maintenence on them.

good luck. if you have any other questions shoot me a pm.

rob.

I find the smal ztr to be more effient than a 36" w/b because I can adjust the deck in an instant and is has hydro system compared to belts.

Valk
02-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Does your Phazer rut very badly in your Louisiana weather?

BigLag
02-29-2008, 10:46 AM
valk..i'll say this..i had a mini fastrak 42" and it weighed between 550 and 600. a scag walk behind 36" weighs over 500 lbs. the only time i've had rutting problems is after a good rain. now my scag 52" which weighs over 1200 lbs, can put some nice ruts. yes, our weather in LA sucks, but last year i was still cutting on a regular basis until christmas, so it worked out great for me.

S man
02-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Does your Phazer rut very badly in your Louisiana weather?

valk..i'll say this..i had a mini fastrak 42" and it weighed between 550 and 600. a scag walk behind 36" weighs over 500 lbs. the only time i've had rutting problems is after a good rain. now my scag 52" which weighs over 1200 lbs, can put some nice ruts. yes, our weather in LA sucks, but last year i was still cutting on a regular basis until christmas, so it worked out great for me.

My phazer works fine and rarely does leave tracks or ruts. Just have to watch your turns. I did however leave some bad ruts and tracks when a customer left her hose on and flooded the back yard and I didn't relize it was wet until I saw the deep muddy tracks. I thought it rained but found out it was the hose later. But other than that one time the phazer cuts nicely and it great on small lawns even when it is wet. It weighs 570 lbs compared to the 32" stander that weighs 605 lbs so it is lighter than the stander thereby reducing the chance of rutting when wet. But the weight difference of 35 lbs isn't too much to stop it from performing under wet conditions. I'm going to check out a 32" stander with 17 hrs on it for sale this sunday.

BigLag
02-29-2008, 05:52 PM
s man...how much are they asking for that stander...not trying to take it from underneath you, just curious.

lsu03
02-29-2008, 06:21 PM
sman. if you get a good rain and the ground has a good amount of water in it, how long do you have to wait to mow?

S man
03-01-2008, 10:07 PM
sman. if you get a good rain and the ground has a good amount of water in it, how long do you have to wait to mow?

Probably a half a day if the sun comes out. I have never really experienced a heavy rain where I couldn't get back out in a few hours and cut.

Lag, the stander is for $3000.

TwistedSister
03-02-2008, 12:33 AM
I think the best setup for you would be a Quick 36 and a larger stander (48 or 52). Get the fixed deck standers- they have a better design

S man
03-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I think the best setup for you would be a Quick 36 and a larger stander (48 or 52). Get the fixed deck standers- they have a better design

The guy who is selling the fixed stander likes the rh ones better. The rhs are heavier. I think the fixed would be fine with the small 32" width.

S man
03-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Went today to look at tplawnpro's stander. I'll probably pick it up next week.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/lawnmowerman123456789/IMG_2501.jpg

hanson's glc
03-03-2008, 01:40 PM
s man
you talked so highly of the phazer before. now you want to sell it. well hope the stander works out.

S man
03-03-2008, 02:01 PM
s man
you talked so highly of the phazer before. now you want to sell it. well hope the stander works out.

The Phazer is alright but I prefer a unit with pump and wheel motors. The stander has them. The zt2800s on the phazer are alright but not as responsive and whiny. I will keep the phazer until I trade it in for a lazer z hp. The stander will be my gate mower when I get the lazer. For now I will be running the phazer and stander.

Blueribbonlawns
03-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Sorry if already stated but do you have a truck yet?
not beein a jerk just wanted to know.

hanson's glc
03-03-2008, 04:02 PM
i wish the 32 had a 17 hp. i'm glad i only spent 2900 on my phazer so if i find it dosen't do what i need. i will not take a big hit if i sell it.
s man do you dethatch?
why didn't you pick it up right there and then? is it a good price?

S man
03-03-2008, 06:47 PM
i wish the 32 had a 17 hp. i'm glad i only spent 2900 on my phazer so if i find it dosen't do what i need. i will not take a big hit if i sell it.
s man do you dethatch?
why didn't you pick it up right there and then? is it a good price?
I don't dethatch. And the guy knows that I am going to buy it later this week and isn't telling other guys about it. Anyway I need to get some cash out the bank.
Sorry if already stated but do you have a truck yet?
not beein a jerk just wanted to know.

My dad has the truck we use to work with. I am looking for my own right now.