PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this grass?

Grits
02-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Please help me identify the pics in this post. Thanks. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=217608

lawnwizards
02-26-2008, 09:29 PM
looks like goose grass.

Grits
02-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Anybody else???
At first I thought it was some sort of sedge. But, now I am leaning toward tall fescue. I am in Northwest Florida and didn't think fescue would live here, IDK. The yard was overseeded with Rye last winter and I am thinking some other seed was mixed in.

LawnNeedz
02-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Definitely not a sedge. It doesn't really look like goose grass either. When it is in the ground do the shoots start off white and spread horizontal and not vertical? That is what the goose grass up here looks like. If it was overseeded with rye it might be dallas or johnson grass. It might be easier to identify if we could see it still in the ground. Hope this helps!

lawnwizards
02-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Definitely not a sedge. It doesn't really look like goose grass either. When it is in the ground do the shoots start off white and spread horizontal and not vertical? That is what the goose grass up here looks like. If it was overseeded with rye it might be dallas or johnson grass. It might be easier to identify if we could see it still in the ground. Hope this helps!

yeah, i was just going by the roots. i'm still learning my weeds. :waving:

macguy
02-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Looks like nutsedge to me

captn
02-26-2008, 11:15 PM
This is unbelievable that I found this post. I purchased a property with 2/12 acres last year that has been poorly maintained and had all kinds of weeds to deal with.

I initially dug out what I could and over seeded with Rye I bought from a Garden center. by the end of the year, I had this crap all over my yard.....it can grow up very tall or out like Crabgrass which is what I thouht it was. I actually posted a message here asking for pro's tips on clearing it.

I had the owner of the Garden center tell me it was indeed crabs grass and sold me a bunch of pre-emergent for this spring. I'll be ticked if it isn't an annual weed now.

LawnNeedz
02-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Crabgrass typically has seed heads on a long stem and spreads on the ground more than growing straight up like the picture.

SILVERSTREAK INC
02-26-2008, 11:49 PM
i think the one guy who said it was some sort of haygrass is close

it looks like a heavy rye, if you let that stalk grow it will give you that pom pom that looks like what goose grass seeds like (looks like a bottle brush)

does 2-4-d kill it?

ACA L&L
02-27-2008, 01:01 AM
quackgrass.

Grits
02-27-2008, 09:32 AM
I'll try to get some pics of it in the lawn today.