PDA

View Full Version : The "We just want you to get us started for the year" kind of people

Wilson Edge
02-26-2008, 10:45 PM
I know that i have had problems with this but i want to hear your stories and solutions. Every year about 3-4 weeks up to 10 weeks into the season. I always get a call from some person saying they just want me to come One time and get there lawn started for them. I get this all the time but have created a solution for it. Depending on how bad it is or how long since the last mow. I usualy quote it for 3 times the normal price. Or i give them the option to get it mowed for the regular price. and sign a year contract. What do you guys do in this situation?

Dave_005
02-26-2008, 11:05 PM
I know that i have had problems with this but i want to hear your stories and solutions. Every year about 3-4 weeks up to 10 weeks into the season. I always get a call from some person saying they just want me to come One time and get there lawn started for them. I get this all the time but have created a solution for it. Depending on how bad it is or how long since the last mow. I usualy quote it for 3 times the normal price. Or i give them the option to get it mowed for the regular price. and sign a year contract. What do you guys do in this situation?

when they ask me for a "one time only cut" to get them started i simply say no thanks, i'm not interested,. the same when someone asks me if i will come only when they call. No thanks, I'm not interested. i do weekly cuts and once in a while i may accept a bi-weekly but not often.

echeandia
02-26-2008, 11:07 PM
I would do the job but charge about 50% more than I normally would.

Grits
02-26-2008, 11:31 PM
I would do the job but charge about 50% more than I normally would.

Ditto! If you have time, why wouldn't you do it?

StBalor
02-26-2008, 11:37 PM
yep, 1 time cuts always charge extra.

Valk
02-27-2008, 12:21 AM
How come overgrown 1-time lawns are the ones with hidden treasures...like a rollerskate or a brick? :laugh: :dizzy: :hammerhead:

HOOLIE
02-27-2008, 12:22 AM
I only do them now under the following conditions...

1- A neighbor of a customer (I'm right there anyway)

2- During a drought when things are slow

3- As a favor for another LCO, if I can fit iit into my schedule that week.

willjones4
02-27-2008, 12:28 AM
pfft! Yall go ahead and leave them out there, I'll scoop them up. If its a little overgrown I'll just charge more. That one time money spends the same as regularly scheduled money!
I hope I can one day turn down work, but right now Im taking on all I can get.

Whitey4
02-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Not in my business plan. I don't need that kind of abuse on my equipment, and I only want full service accounts with ferts and apps. Sure, you can pick up a quick couple of bucks, but that won't build your business.

If I think I have a chance of converting them to full service, then I might do it, but otherwise, I don't want it. I could use that hour putting out door hangers.... and maybe get a $1500 yearly account out of it instead.

I try to stay focused... and follow my business plan.

tennesseelawnguy
02-27-2008, 01:28 AM
I don't bother with one time deals now. Years ago when i first started i did quite a few like that and my experiences were not all that great. It sucks to charge $80 for what would normally be a $30 yard and then hit a stump or toy or worse and then spend hundreds on a new spindle. just say no thanks and find a better customer.

barefeetny
02-27-2008, 02:05 AM
this year i did an estimate and talk about cheap... bi weekly service starting in june is all they wanted....sorry folks not me....

yikes i bet there would be 12-14 inches at least

her 21 yo son will do everything but the mowing....

i politely told her no thanks... buy him a mower and let him do it all

my plan does not allow jobs like that.... i will let myself be subbed for work like that.if i'm slow... but i'm not taking my truck to the jobsite

Cathman
02-27-2008, 08:01 PM
I am just a part timer, but last year, doing these types lawns made for a nice pile of cash. I typically mow, trim, edge blow, but have to either bag it all or rake it afterwards. I charged 4-5x what i would on a weekly basis. For instance, one that i ended up getting as a weekly i originally charged 200 for the cleanup. I now do the yard for 40.00/week. Explained to them it will cost ya a lot less in the long run to keep it maintained weekly than to only call someone every few weeks or months. I am always glad to go at least give a bid....i have gotten every one so far (about 15). And 200 has been for an average 60x120 lot here in town. Mowed 1.5 acres for a lady and the first time i got 375.00. Just mow, no pickup. So like i said, i tend to at least go bid on it. Seems around here, it takes a few days to get someone to come give you a bid. I try and go the day/evening that i get the call. They just want it done at that point and i think they know its gonna cost them.

lawnkingforever
02-27-2008, 08:20 PM
If it is close by I will go take a look at any one-timers. I can pretty much charge anything I want. Like Cathman said they need it done and you can pretty much quote any price and they will have you do it. If it is overgrown, I tell them up front it will be cut on the highest blade setting and I walk the lawn and check it out before a mower comes off of the trailer. I have an old Craftsman 22" 6HP beater mower behind my shed that will come into service for jobs like this.

Sweet Tater
02-27-2008, 08:28 PM
pfft! Yall go ahead and leave them out there, I'll scoop them up. If its a little overgrown I'll just charge more. That one time money spends the same as regularly scheduled money!
I hope I can one day turn down work, but right now Im taking on all I can get.

I second that

hackitdown
02-28-2008, 08:49 AM
I do it if I have time, and I charge a fair price. They pay extra if it takes extra time. Some of them turn into good customers.

If I don't have time, I explain that I cannot fit them in, and refer them to a friend.

cgaengineer
02-28-2008, 09:37 AM
How come overgrown 1-time lawns are the ones with hidden treasures...like a rollerskate or a brick? :laugh: :dizzy: :hammerhead:

Because if they are too lazy to cut their lawn then they are most likely not going to pick up trash (Reminds me of my neighbor). Our neighbor has so many weeds it isnt funny...its to the point that I may just cut and treat just to keep my property looking good and not even charge the lazy turds.

Frue
02-28-2008, 09:58 AM
I only do them now under the following conditions...

1- A neighbor of a customer (I'm right there anyway)

2- During a drought when things are slow

3- As a favor for another LCO, if I can fit iit into my schedule that week.

great post........ some knowledge here

Weekes
02-28-2008, 03:36 PM
My first response was turn around and walk away when someone says this.

BUT, then I thought about my best customer and changed my mind. I got them after I had aerated there lawn and told me not interested in my weekly services. (Now I must point out they had a beautiful home which they took good care of yard and all.) So they did call and say OK we don't have time this year to get yard started as we have company coming into town. I went I mowed full service and they have overpaid me ever since.

Yes I walk away from most, but some I do and I have at least 4 good regulars so far that were a one time thing. You can tell at a glance usually whether it is a good job or not.

Wells
03-01-2008, 01:04 PM
I've learned that generally when people want a one-time job done there's a good reason for it. Lots of long overgrown grass that takes FOREVER to cut, not to mention all the hidden obstacles in the tall grass that can't be seen, such as re-bar, sprinkler heads, rocks, etc. I've ruined too many mower blades on those one-time jobs and I've learned not to take on that kind of work anymore.