PDA

View Full Version : Toro Walk-Behind to Buy?

cbhooch
02-27-2008, 12:05 AM
I like to purchase a new Toro 32 or 36 inch walk-behind. I like to know which is the better product. The fixed deck gear driven,Hydro-drive,or floating deck. Thanks

cgaengineer
02-27-2008, 12:08 AM
I would go with the T2 hydro...very easy to control and very powerful. If I were you I would get the floater and a minimum of a 40" if you want to use a Toro TruTrac behind it.

LCPullman
02-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Hydro is definately better, give you alot more control, instant reverse, no slipping belts when wet, etc. If you have never used pistol grip before, I would recommend the T2 Bar which would put you into a 36" floating deck model.
If you can't afford the $5800 to get a hydro, the T-Bar gear drive is also an excellent choice. This would allow you to get a 32" if you wanted to. However, the 32" model does not have the TurboForce deck, which means it isn't near as tough as the 36" deck. Also, you don't want the floating deck 32" gear drive, because it has one big blade as opposed to 2 smaller blades.
Floating vs. fixed: If you have variable, hilly terrain to mow, floating deck is a great help in not scalping. However, if you have flat terrain, a fixed deck is lighter and cheaper. The fixed deck hydro only comes in pistol grip but it will come for more around $5000.

TheLawnWarrior
02-27-2008, 12:39 PM
The 32 inch toro is awesome. I have had one for several years. Don't let the idea of it not being a "Turbo Force" deck sway you the deck is incredably resiliant. I like that it has the small floating deck so that it will undulate better in yards with many imperfections, and not show them. The single blade setup is nice for residential homes because it gives the yard a look like it was cut with a 21'' but you can get in and out much faster. The mower is belt driven, but as long as you pay attention to the belts and adjust the tension as they break in you will not see any slipping problems unless you are trying to pull yourself around on way to steep of a hill. Hope this helps.

peeden's lawncare
02-29-2008, 10:53 PM
The Toro is an excellent choice. I have two of the t-bar mowers and I love them. They are very versitle and cut like A dream in wet or dry conditions. As far as the belts slipping, the belts would have to get very wet. I have been in some very wet conditions and never had A problem.. Would go for the floating deck instead of the fixed to avoid scalping on uneven terrain.