PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Racks On Bedside?

willjones4
02-26-2008, 11:21 PM
I was thinking about getting a cheap trimmer rack ($70) from lowe's and bolting it to the bedside of my F150. Think it would work?

SILVERSTREAK INC
02-26-2008, 11:53 PM
ive seen people do it, just dont get too close to anyone....
they mount them so the weedwackers face outwards, just make sure you mount them right so the trimmers wont mess up your paint or window from sliding around

willjones4
02-28-2008, 05:00 PM
any other thoughts on this?

coonman
02-28-2008, 05:14 PM
I just today ordered the Jungle Jim trimmer racks that bolt into the bed. $106 from Power Equipment Parts Warehouse. One of the sponsors at the top of the page.

cgaengineer
02-28-2008, 06:31 PM
I was thinking about getting a cheap trimmer rack ($70) from lowe's and bolting it to the bedside of my F150. Think it would work?

Lowes has trimmer racks?

willjones4
02-28-2008, 09:47 PM
yeah, but they are made from spring hangers and angle iron...$68 plus tx

willjones4
02-28-2008, 09:51 PM
I just today ordered the Jungle Jim trimmer racks that bolt into the bed. $106 from Power Equipment Parts Warehouse. One of the sponsors at the top of the page.

Which one. I didnt see any that said that...

YardBoss Lawncare
02-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Those racks from lowes are a waste. The trimmers slide and twirl like crazy in them.

TomberLawn
02-28-2008, 10:36 PM
I saw them at Lowe's, too, but resisted the urge. As of now, I'm just laying mine in the bed of my truck when I don't have to carry the trailer around.

YardBoss Lawncare
02-28-2008, 11:08 PM
You can take an old milk crate and cut one of the sides off of it with a sawsall so that you can set the engine down in it in the bed of the truck. You know, just saw a 3 or 4 inch strip out of the center all the way down one of the sides so the shaft will go in it. With the engine in the milk crate it wont slide all over the bed of the truck and get skinned all to hell.

willjones4
02-28-2008, 11:16 PM
You can take an old milk crate and cut one of the sides off of it with a sawsall so that you can set the engine down in it in the bed of the truck. You know, just saw a 3 or 4 inch strip out of the center all the way down one of the sides so the shaft will go in it. With the engine in the milk crate it wont slide all over the bed of the truck and get skinned all to hell.

Good idea. Won't work for me, though. I have a toolbox in the bed which reduces the available length by a couple feet, so Id have to lay mine diagonally which leaves no room for my mower. Unfortunately I can't afford a trailer right now.

YardBoss Lawncare
02-28-2008, 11:30 PM
What mower are you hauling in the bed? 21"? A walk behind? or a rider?

hanson's glc
02-28-2008, 11:48 PM
if it was me need a trimmer rack for the side of my truck i would go with a nice one. you don't want stolen or messed up. i think i would look at xtreme rack. i like the set up for locking and the trimmers will not spin. the go for $159 for a 2 trimmer set up. i think you can get 10% off right now to if you ask. i have a 4 trimmer one waiting for my new enclosed to be delivered to the dealer. hope this helps. i don't want to sound like a SALES GUY but i think if you make money with it protect it.

coonman
02-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Which one. I didnt see any that said that...

http://www.powerequipmentwarehouse.com/junglejimstrimmerrack-p-15161.html

That is the one I ordered. Called them, they said you can pretty much bolt in anywhere you want.

nherweck
02-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Hey got to www.JungleJimsAP.com , and email the SCRATCH & DENT person. It's listed right on their homepage. Ask for their S&D list with prices, and it shows that they have a few of the old style Jungle Jim 2-trimmer racks (that were originally advertised for the truck bed) for less than $80.

Good luck!

YardBoss Lawncare
02-29-2008, 12:48 AM
I would just go to the iron yard, get some 11 gauge 1"x1" square tubing and make my own for less than $50. Use "U" bolts turned upside down to set the trimmers on. Cut a 4 inch piece of garden hose for each one and slide it down each U bolt to protect the trimmer shaft. If you're interested in this I can go more into detail about how to make the locking lever, etc...

YardBoss Lawncare
02-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Here's what im talking about.

willjones4
02-29-2008, 12:53 AM
Hey got to www.JungleJimsAP.com , and email the SCRATCH & DENT person. It's listed right on their homepage. Ask for their S&D list with prices, and it shows that they have a few of the old style Jungle Jim 2-trimmer racks (that were originally advertised for the truck bed) for less than $80.

Good luck!

Fantastic, thanks! I emailed them just now. I have seen the light on this now. I thought, from pictures I'd seen, that the racks were mounted on the side of the bed when they are really bolted to the floor of the bed.:dizzy::laugh:

nherweck
02-29-2008, 01:13 AM
willjones4 - No problem! I actually looked over my list she sent me, and it's $83.74 for the TriminatorII. They discontinued them for a new design, but they're pretty nifty looking. I ordered my trimmer racks off of eBay for just under $45, but I think they'll hold up for what I need for quite some time!

buttaluv
02-29-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm thinking about doing the milk crate thing, only for my hand held blower, on my tool box, then ordering one of those racks from J.J. that go on your w/b, and putting my 48 in the back of my truck, that way only the ramps going in and out of the bed will be loose

willjones4
02-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Here's what im talking about.

Thanks for all your help, bud. Unfortunately, I dont have the skills or tools to make much of anything but a mess! :laugh:

YardBoss Lawncare
02-29-2008, 02:30 PM
LOL! I understand. I grew up in a small town and during high school I would always work for the local farmers during the summers. It's helped out alot. I also worked on a crew that builds steel buildings (Morton style) and had a construction business before this, so...

nherweck
02-29-2008, 11:11 PM
buttaluv - Jungle Jim has a few of the Walk behind racks on the Scratch & Dent list too. They're about $50 if I remember correctly. Why buy new when you can get one that was dropped before shipment and may have a scratch somewhere? Seriously, save the money, and spend it on the ever-rising gas prices!

Hah, good luck.