PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use nitrogen in there truck tires or trailer tires?

ATL Lawn
02-27-2008, 02:29 AM
Anyone use nitrogen in there truck tires or trailer tires?

is it worth it?

mudwisr2
02-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Tests have proven that it is not worth the added cost. (can't remember sources) If you have two new tires and fill one with air and one with nitrogen and let them sit for a year the difference in air pressure, after the year has passed, is minimal.

Green Pastures
02-27-2008, 10:45 AM
I buy all my truck(s) and personal vehicle tires at Costco and it's my understanding that they use nitrogen to fill all tires.

I have them rotate and balance every 5000 miles as that is part of the purchase price. So every 5000 miles I get new nitrogen put in the tires.

Costco must have been able to document a considerable difference to go through the expense and trouble of outfitting all their tire service centers with compressed nitrogen as opposed to compressed air. Not to mention the continued cost of buying the nitrogen in tanks or a seperator to extract pure nitrogen from the air we breathe. The atmosphere or compressed "air" is 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen.... Then the training for all the employees.......

Jason Rose
02-27-2008, 11:11 AM
I think if there's any benifits at all to using it, it would best be seen on cars, sports cars. I think it's great for the vast majority of people who never even think about their tires having air in them until they have a flat.

For trailer tires I think it would be a total waste. I don't know about you, but I'm constantly picking up nails and screws causing leaks, even with good tread on the tires! Seems like it's about a weekly occurance that I'm adding air to a leaky tire to get home to fix it.

For the truck tires I just like to keep the pressures in check myself. Just part of normal maintenance. But I do my own rotations too. Of course, I'll admit that I should take them in about half way through their life and have the balance checked on them.

MOWALLTHETIME
02-27-2008, 11:33 PM
I had to put them in my wife's Trailblazer she has the tire monitoring system that comes with the navigation and it was going off every other day. The dealer said they could do nothing to stop it from going off. They claim it is the climate and the weather is 65 one day 25 the next and with the aluminum rims the tire pressure all over the gauge. I thought it was a waste of money until my tire guy told me if it did not fix the problem that he would give it to me free. He told me that nitrogen is not affected by the extreme change in temperature. It works my wife's sensor has not gone off once since putting in the nitrogen.

Marcos
02-27-2008, 11:40 PM
I'd just put helium in 'em all...and hover around town !!

:laugh:

topsites
02-28-2008, 01:36 AM

yeh and grab a lungful so you'se can talk funny.

TomberLawn
02-28-2008, 01:36 PM
My uncle is the parts and service administrator at a Chevy dealership in Charlotte and he is getting a nitrogen machine installed in his shop. He's seen all the studies and reports, even from tire manufacturers, that show nitrogen to be better. I see the point of not having much benefit in trailer tires, though. I'm glad there's a small tire shop about a mile from the house!

All_Toro_4ME
02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Nascar uses nitrogen in their tires.

J&R Landscaping
02-28-2008, 09:41 PM

Then you'll really start getting better fuel milage!! :laugh:

BrandonV
02-28-2008, 11:19 PM
I had to put them in my wife's Trailblazer she has the tire monitoring system that comes with the navigation and it was going off every other day. The dealer said they could do nothing to stop it from going off. They claim it is the climate and the weather is 65 one day 25 the next and with the aluminum rims the tire pressure all over the gauge. I thought it was a waste of money until my tire guy told me if it did not fix the problem that he would give it to me free. He told me that nitrogen is not affected by the extreme change in temperature. It works my wife's sensor has not gone off once since putting in the nitrogen.

that's interesting, i have a new jeep and when it's below 20 in the morning the darn light is lit up... once it warms up it'll go off, but interesting none the less.

nosparkplugs
02-28-2008, 11:58 PM
The pipe line that we Bush-Hog "the right off way" for has a machine that makes Nitrogen; it's used to cool the Ammonium pumps, and stored in a massive tank with hose & air chuck for use in tires, and no one takes advantage of it.