PDA

View Full Version : OD light flashing on ford?

Chop Stuff Up
02-27-2008, 07:42 AM
99 E150 flashing the overdrive light on the shifter, any idea on what is causing this? Sometimes the tranny skips from 1st to 3rd, then realizes it belongs in second and goes to second, but its very rare the tranny does that. Otherwise the tranny seems fine. Also the van gives itself gas at random like I'm hitting the pedal when I'm not. It usually does it when its stopped and I open the door, but sometimes it does it when I approach a red light and well that makes for a scary moment. If I disconnect the battery and let the codes reset I buy myself about a thousand miles before these issues start back up. The throttle position sensor was replaced when I bought the van about 35k ago and the revving/gas issue still continues. When I bought the van 7 or 8 months ago it threw several codes with inspection and after $900 in repairs it still didn't pass and I had to get a waiver to tag it. It was the heated catalyst, EGR, and O2 sensors and the codes still threw after all were replaced. Could I just need a new computer? I miss my chevy!

Tagg
02-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Try www.ford-trucks.com forum.

TXNSLighting
02-27-2008, 06:19 PM
your second gear is going out. i forgot exactly whats its called, but my 99 did the exact same thing. theres a sensor that can go out to. thats probably the other problem.

PBinWA
02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
It means your computer has a DTC error code. You need an OBD-II scanner to see what the code is. Most repair shops have the OBD-II code scanner stuff these days and can get you the codes. Once you have the codes, google them to find out who else is pulling the codes or sometimes they are listed in full or look in a service manual (if you have one).

DK lawn care
02-27-2008, 10:11 PM
It could be somthing small, but usually when the OD light flashs, that means the trans is toast. But before u do anything plus in a OBD-II in. Also vist www.fordtrucks.com/forums. Its free and just like lawnsite.

Chop Stuff Up
02-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Man if its the tranny, I'm just gonna sell the stupid thing for like 500 bucks when she finally goes. Now I ran it another 200 miles last night and it didn't flash anything and ran fine and I didn't disconnect the battery. I have a code reader floating around my garage somewhere and I'll also have to remember to bring the van home. I usually leave it up where I work and I commute in a cavalier which also started a tranny issue. :dizzy:

AI Inc
02-28-2008, 10:52 AM
It has happened to me before and I dont remember what it was , but it was something small. The flashing is telling you to check the code.Truck ran another 80k after it happened.

gene gls
02-28-2008, 10:44 PM
My wife has a 1998 Ford Explorer with the same problem. Some times it flashes and some times it don't. I had it checked out by an old timmer that only works on trannies. He told me that when it comes to electronics, a problem in one area will affect a part in another area and send out a code because there are so many things interactive with each other on the cars computer. She had 3 code problems that we had repaired but it still flashes some times and the code is for the torque converter not hooking up all the time.

stroker51
02-29-2008, 10:34 AM
My 99 F350 Powerstroke will start that overdrive flashing every once in a blue moon. but it's only after a rolling start to heavy acceleration, say cruisin down the on-ramp, seeing an opening and punching it. when the light flashes my speedo quits working too. But if I shut the truck off then start it back up, everything is fine. no other signs of any problems, firm shifts (edge evolution helped with this a little) no slipping, stays cool by my after market tranny temp gauge. My buddies 96 F350 Powerstroke just started throwing the light a few snows ago, he does my skid steer work with snow and was towing the loader. The light got more and more persistent so he had it checked out, torque converter was toast. I'd have a tranny shop look at it, there are so many things that stupid light can mean.