PDA

View Full Version : Advice

MOturkey
02-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Okay, here is the situation. I'm eligible for retirement this summer from my day job, but my pension will be about 25% less than what I am currently earning, and I'm going to have to start paying for medical insurance. This was my primary objective in starting my mowing business a few years ago. At that time, my job (wholesale milk route) was running around 40 hours a week. Long story short, I'm now working approximately 55 hours a week, or the maximum they can work us under our union contract.

The job is really getting to be a drag, and the company I work for doesn't care diddly squat about us employees, so I'm anxious to quit, but I also am, quite honestly, fearful because of inflation in the cost of living. Realistically, it would be to my advantage to continue working through the rest of this year, because it would allow me to get one of our vehicles and at least one mower (I'm planning on buying a new WB next month) paid off. For that reason, I'm reluctant to make a big push for new business this year, for fear that I might bite off more than I can chew and be in a situation where I either have to give up some business, or go ahead and retire in order to handle it. I have a prospective person or two I could hire to take up the slack part time, but am not sure that is the way to go.

If I decide to quit at the end of the year, I would have plenty of time off next spring to work on business expansion prior to the cutting season (I mow only). My question is, in your opinion, from past experience, what is the best way to expand your business in a relatively short time, at a reasonable cost?

I hear pros and cons for door hangers, flyers, newspaper ads, and mailings all the time here on the board, and am just wondering what has worked for you.

There is quite a diversity locally regarding housing. Many older neighborhoods, but we've experienced rapid growth the last few years, with most of the subdivisions having housing probably in the $150,000 range. Get outside of town, and the lots get bigger, 3-5 acres is common, and home prices climb upward into the $200,000 to $300,000 range. Does the same approach tend to work with all, or are some methods more effective in different neighborhood types?

Any help or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks. Neill