PDA

View Full Version : How do you price a mulch job?

merrimacmill
02-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Just wondering what everyones doing to fuiger prices of mulch jobs. I imagine that you would first start with the cost per cu. yard of the desired mulch. But for labor?? Do you try to get the same "dollar a minute rule of thumb". Or is there something different for mulching?

Also, do most of you remove the old much before putting in new? or just throw the new over the old?

TRBIGCREEK
02-27-2008, 12:19 PM
45-60 per yard applied is good rate depending on site conditions. If your low overhead you can work for less and still make money.

TR

merrimacmill
02-27-2008, 12:25 PM
And how much time are you averaging to spread a yard of mulch? For larger jobs, I do have a compact tractor with a loader so that will cut time as recently discussed in a thread. I've spread plenty of mulch before, but never timed myself or really payed attention since I was doing it on our own properties and not for someone else.

TurfCo, LLC
02-27-2008, 12:58 PM
If all the mulched areas are easy to get to with a wheelbarrow, then I charge the mulch cost, then $30 per yard plus a $35 delivery fee. The harder or further apart the mulched areas are, the higher the labor per cubic yard.

DBL
02-27-2008, 01:18 PM
we are getting out mulch for around $19-$25 a yard and charge about $90-$100 a yard installed including edging and weeding

do a search there are a lot of threads on this

WALKER LANDSCAPE
02-27-2008, 01:45 PM
We charge around $100.00 to $125.00 a yard. We remove the mulch after a few installs when it gets so thick you need to remove it due to mold.

merrimacmill
02-27-2008, 07:53 PM
These mulch prices seem cheap. I was paying 40 a yard for Hemlock last year. I was getting it from a local place that gets it from another local place I believe. Do you get discounts or something when you have a contractors account at a nursery or something?

WALKER LANDSCAPE
02-27-2008, 11:25 PM
We get it for $14 to $17 a yard depending on the typer. We buy X amount of yards this year and get a better deal.

LB1234
02-28-2008, 09:10 PM
For mulch installations we charge by the cubic yard or by the job...depends on the situation. If its installed along with a landscape its in the total bill and we just state mulch will be installed at X thickness.

You really need to figure out what it costs you to operate per hour, figure your material costs, and then add your labor markup. I don't know how anyone can tell you to charge 30 dollars or 100 dollars or whatever if they have no clue what YOUR costs are.

First, we figure the square footage and round up or down to the next whole number. We then add a markup to the materials. We then figure out what the travel costs (including material pickup/delivery) will be...and yes we charge for us to sit in a truck and get loaded. We then figure the amount of time on the job. For us we calculate that it takes 30 minutes to spread 1 cubic yard of mulch. You also have to factor in any cleanup time. Then figure what you want your labor markup to be. Add it all up and there is your total job cost. Divide by total install yards and you have your price per yard installed.

good luck

capeshores landscape
03-01-2008, 11:22 AM
id charge 40 bucks per yrd.you dont want to go to high cause you want to get the job.Most mulch jobs you can do a yrd of mulch by yourself in a half hr to 45 min.

LB1234
03-01-2008, 03:29 PM
id charge 40 bucks per yrd.you dont want to go to high cause you want to get the job.Most mulch jobs you can do a yrd of mulch by yourself in a half hr to 45 min.

Thanks for proving my above statement

capeshores landscape
03-01-2008, 05:14 PM
no problem.just really didnt pay attention to what you have to say.

PROCUT1
03-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Take your material cost, add in your overhead, labor costs to install, then add your profit on top of that and theres your price

IN2MOWN
03-01-2008, 07:18 PM
$80.00 per cubic yard installed.

merrimacmill
03-01-2008, 10:49 PM
$80 Sounds pretty reasonable. I can't imagine only getting $40 a yard. I'm just looking to get some general ideas of how people are doing this. I'm getting a good idea of it now. Thanks guys!

Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care
03-03-2008, 10:17 AM

Look, let me say this as nicely as possible. Believe me, I am NOT trying to sound like an #$% here, but $40 per cubic yard of mulch to deliver AND install??? Do you get your mulch for free??? Steal your gas??? How do you pay your bills charging $40 per cubic yard for delivery, installation, and cleanup? Not trying to be an #$% about it, but I charge anywhere from $60-$75 / cy in NC. I must be be missing something, right?

LB1234
03-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Look, let me say this as nicely as possible. Believe me, I am NOT trying to sound like an #$% here, but $40 per cubic yard of mulch to deliver AND install??? Do you get your mulch for free??? Steal your gas??? How do you pay your bills charging $40 per cubic yard for delivery, installation, and cleanup? Not trying to be an #$% about it, but I charge anywhere from $60-$75 / cy in NC. I must be be missing something, right?

Trust me it ain't worth the arguement.

At those rates their opinion is "look at all the work I'm getting" or "its better to work for less than to not work at all"

When in fact if they had any clue whatsoever what the heck their business actually costs them to operate they will realize (albeit after its too late) they are running themselves right out of the business.

CrimsonLawnCare
03-03-2008, 11:39 AM
We just charge materials plus our hourly landscape labor fee, is it better to charge per a yard? instead of by the hourly rate? we pay about $35 a yard around here, would it be better to just charge them say $55 for a yard of mulch installed?

nemow
03-03-2008, 12:26 PM
$80 Sounds pretty reasonable. I can't imagine only getting $40 a yard. I'm just looking to get some general ideas of how people are doing this. I'm getting a good idea of it now. Thanks guys!

Hey merrimac, I reconized your truck from plowsite, I am down on the south shore of MA. I charge $95 per yard edged weeded delivered and thrown. Hemlock may cost more but it is so much lighter that you can double it up in the truck and barrowing it back and for is nothing, so I charge the same price. I haven't recieved my mulch price list yet but I think it should stay around the same for this year. If I am barrowing the stuff up stairs my price will increase but it is a good solid starting point $95. Yes you should get a price break if you set up an account with the local mulch place. I have no idea what other lco's charge around here for mulch but I have never lost a mulch job and make a pretty penny on them. I even tell my customers that its $95 and what it includes it makes them feel like they are getting a lot for the money.

LB1234
03-03-2008, 12:43 PM
We just charge materials plus our hourly landscape labor fee, is it better to charge per a yard? instead of by the hourly rate? we pay about $35 a yard around here, would it be better to just charge them say $55 for a yard of mulch installed?

When we first started out we charge labor + materials. But what we found was happening was we were purchasing better equipment to get the job done. In other words we went from a single wheeled wheelbarrel to a dual wheel 12 cuft (or whatever the big one was) and it was taking us less time to do the job. So, our profits were actualy down. A few years ago we purchased a dingo and we use that on larger jobs (say greater than 5 yds) cause its faster to load wheelbarrels with that then it is by hand.

We charge about $125 an hour for that machine. So on our proposal it would read $125 per hour. So people would be like " no way the other guy is charging $50 per hour " however, what they won't realize is I'll be in and out in a few hours as opposed to all day. So, its easier for us to just charge per yard. That way if it takes me 12 minutes or 12 hours the customer can't say anything.

CrimsonLawnCare
03-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Ya, you make a good point, i didnt even think about that, thanks

nemow
03-03-2008, 04:29 PM
When we first started out we charge labor + materials. But what we found was happening was we were purchasing better equipment to get the job done. In other words we went from a single wheeled wheelbarrel to a dual wheel 12 cuft (or whatever the big one was) and it was taking us less time to do the job. So, our profits were actualy down. A few years ago we purchased a dingo and we use that on larger jobs (say greater than 5 yds) cause its faster to load wheelbarrels with that then it is by hand.

We charge about $125 an hour for that machine. So on our proposal it would read $125 per hour. So people would be like " no way the other guy is charging $50 per hour " however, what they won't realize is I'll be in and out in a few hours as opposed to all day. So, its easier for us to just charge per yard. That way if it takes me 12 minutes or 12 hours the customer can't say anything.

That is a great point. Thats why I do by yard pricing also. If you have a nice flat bed close to the truck or pile of mulch you can throw a ton of mulch real fast. I dont do anything hourly well maybe hedge trimming if it looks like a head scratcher when I get there but not to much over head or dumping fees on those. It really all comes down to your area prices. If labor is AHEM cheap in your area it is quality and proffesionalism (sp) you must provide along with the mulch.