PDA

View Full Version : good advertising per dollar

teejet
02-27-2008, 12:36 PM
I started with mowing lawns 3 yrs ago. I put out flyers the first year. I put out 500 by walking. I got tired of that quick so I just drove around and put them in the newspaper boxes on peoples mailboxs. I done about 1500 that way. I also put 1500 in the newspaper. My local newspaper charges 35 per thousand to insert the flyers. I live in a town of about 15000. They do 8500 papers. The flyers did work very good. I got about 14 lawns and some other jobs from the flyers. I have since changed to doing mostly landscaping. I only have 8 of the 15 lawns left. People moved dropped a few etc. I will be doing postcards for landscaping this year. Here is the deal when I think about it that is a very good deal the newspaper offers. There is not a lot of junk in the paper maybe a lowes ad or grocery store a couple times a week. Just about everyone that reads the paper would see my flyer. I can have copies made for .04 a sheet that is 75 per thousand delivered, pretty good I think. I don't reley care for mowing, but it is steady and peacefull at times:). I mow my 8 lawns, mostly because I like the customers and hate to drop them. I will probly do a few thousand and fill a day or two of mowing at that price. what do you think?:dizzy:

Advancedexc
02-27-2008, 01:08 PM
I use a lead company called service magic last year I ran three crews of three guys each from what i was getting from that site 100 to sign up and 12- 35 per lead but if you follow up on every lead we got 4 or of the five sent to us a great way to make money. I would get about 8 leads a day and get 6 of those jobs everyday all month and cost me 500-700 for the leads and most of the time the smallest job was 3000 deck or small patio. check it out only if you are good at following through.

teejet
02-27-2008, 02:09 PM
ya right:laugh: magical leads only 500-700 6 jobs a day. Those people will call you more than any coustomer you are supposed to get through them.

Advancedexc
02-27-2008, 08:10 PM
i guess you asked I was trying to help I used them for three years It might cost a light but make a lot off of it. I THINK THEY ARE GREAT

blind04
02-27-2008, 08:23 PM
i see both sides. but for what its worth: i think the news paper inserts would be my choice. i love a low cost reach out to potential customers. i have done similar things to this when starting my buisness and it worked out very well. now i just do very expensive adds in the phone book, but only becouse i am really only wanting comertial customers from now on and thats really the only way to get them.

barefeetny
02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
i built a nice sign out of oak and put it at the front of my own yard

the work is there... plus its easy to find my home office

the box truck has paid for its 450 in advertising many times over... like a giant billboard.

my cards get me great bang for the buck

craiglist was free but not that effective

my coroplast signs are ok... nothing great

I'm saving my ad dollars and doing marketing instead...... its free

Flex-Deck
02-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Work of mouth is the only advertizing I do. It costs nothing other than doing a good job on the accounts I have.

kleankutslawn
02-27-2008, 11:53 PM
I use a lead company called service magic last year I ran three crews of three guys each from what i was getting from that site 100 to sign up and 12- 35 per lead but if you follow up on every lead we got 4 or of the five sent to us a great way to make money. I would get about 8 leads a day and get 6 of those jobs everyday all month and cost me 500-700 for the leads and most of the time the smallest job was 3000 deck or small patio. check it out only if you are good at following through.

are they a nation wide company?

coonman
02-28-2008, 12:17 AM
i see both sides. but for what its worth: i think the news paper inserts would be my choice. i love a low cost reach out to potential customers. i have done similar things to this when starting my buisness and it worked out very well. now i just do very expensive adds in the phone book, but only becouse i am really only wanting comertial customers from now on and thats really the only way to get them.

I was going to try the newspaper inserts also. They charge $65 per 1000 which sounded great, until I read about the 10,000 minimum and other fees added in. I am already doing postcards, doorhangers and handing out business cards everywhere. I just wish there was no minimum, 1000 would be just right for me, 10,000 would be overkill for my small operation.