PDA

View Full Version : Fert spreader on midmount mower

Lawn Tech LLC
02-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Where have you bought the electric fertilizer spreaders that can be mounted on the front of midmount mowers? I saw one from Northern and they wanted $ 900.00 for it. I could use some help.

Thanks,

LT

Littleriver1
02-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Lesco has one but i'm not sire if they still sell equipment.

gl1200a
02-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Try this one from Earth Way. It's much cheaper and a very nice unit.

http://www.earthway.com/M402006.htm

grassman177
02-27-2008, 06:28 PM
we have had good luck with the jrco spreaders. i think they are a sponsor of this site. they aren't cheap though. they have a dang bracket for everything but i have learned to only buy the foot operated models. they have pull cable models and they corrode so fast you cant even use them for a couple of apps. one trick we have learned is of course clean them after every use and they spray the inside and out of the gate with a super soapy spray. this was recommended and works to keep things from rusting and sticking. keeps it free moving.

JRCO
03-07-2008, 10:59 AM
we have had good luck with the jrco spreaders. i think they are a sponsor of this site. they aren't cheap though. they have a dang bracket for everything but i have learned to only buy the foot operated models. they have pull cable models and they corrode so fast you cant even use them for a couple of apps. one trick we have learned is of course clean them after every use and they spray the inside and out of the gate with a super soapy spray. this was recommended and works to keep things from rusting and sticking. keeps it free moving.

Thanks! The model 503 has the foot operated gate. It is designed for mid-mount ZTRs. The model 504 has a push-pull cable for walkbehind mowers. We redesigned the broadcasters a few years ago.

The best way to clean & maintain our broadcasters is to use compressed air. We don't recommend spraying them with water. Between seasons you will want to thoroughly wipe down/clean the unit and you may want to spray a film on it to protect over winter but that's about it. Using oil attracts fertilizer dust that can solidify.

It is fine to lubricate the push-pull cable. WD-40 or the like would work.

Thanks!

Bill

grassman177
03-07-2008, 01:25 PM
jrco,

really, use compressed air, i can see this to get the residue of fert out but you guys recommended the sudsy spray on the gate after the fert was out and it was worked great for many years now. otherwise it started to stick and bend the push rods connected to the foot pedal! in fact the worst was on your new models (the solid rod instead of the flat piece on the older models) when one of our crews forgot to clean and lube the gate. the rod bend the next time used as it got stuck and would not budge. the super sudsy dawn spray has been the best thing we have done. like i said, we called you and it was recommended by you.:confused:

grassman177
03-07-2008, 01:26 PM
we never use oil on ours. that is a mistake lol

JRCO
03-10-2008, 11:44 AM
jrco,

really, use compressed air, i can see this to get the residue of fert out but you guys recommended the sudsy spray on the gate after the fert was out and it was worked great for many years now. otherwise it started to stick and bend the push rods connected to the foot pedal! in fact the worst was on your new models (the solid rod instead of the flat piece on the older models) when one of our crews forgot to clean and lube the gate. the rod bend the next time used as it got stuck and would not budge. the super sudsy dawn spray has been the best thing we have done. like i said, we called you and it was recommended by you.:confused:

Thanks for the reply. I can't speak for everyone here but I was referencing our owners manual. If you found a solution that's working for you, that's the bottom line.

What we find is some folks will use a pressure washer on it and then wonder why the electrical connections can have problems... So we try to steer people away from using water or introducing moisture to fertilizer.

Thanks!

ed2hess
03-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the reply. I can't speak for everyone here but I was referencing our owners manual. If you found a solution that's working for you, that's the bottom line.

What we find is some folks will use a pressure washer on it and then wonder why the electrical connections can have problems... So we try to steer people away from using water or introducing moisture to fertilizer.

Thanks!

Will you email me price on the front broadcast spreader for a 48" Scag Tiger Cub?

grassman177
03-10-2008, 08:03 PM
yeah, no problems, yeah, water and fertilizer and electric does not mix, we have never had any problems with that. the soap works great.