PDA

View Full Version : Stihl vs. Shindaiwa?

MikeKle
02-27-2008, 05:15 PM
I am looking for a new backpack blower, either a stihl BR 550 or shindaiwa EB8520. the shindy has the biggest power of any of the otherr blowers witha 79.7cc engine and 762cfm at the end of the tube with 224 mph. although there is no shindaiwa dealers close to me,stihl dealers are everywhere though. I am concerned the stihls 4mix doesnt have the high end power compared to a 2 stroke blower,when it comes to a blower,I wouldnt think you would want low end torque type power because blowers dont get "bogged" down like a trimmer would,so a 2 stroke seems like the logical choice,but with the whole handheld industry going to 4 stroke engines,a 2 stroke might be obsolete in a couple years?Any opinions?

All_Toro_4ME
02-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Have you searched on this site? Comm brand equip is often compared and addressed for performance against each other. Im sure you will be able to find multiple days worth of reading material for your subject.

tamadrummer
02-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Well you cannot buy the 8520 until August 08'

The 8520 is also a hybrid 4 stroke just like the 4 mix from Stihl.

The good news is you can buy an 8510 and the numbers are basically the same. If you want 2 stroke, than you will want to wait for August and the EB802 which will have the same or close to the same numbers as the C4 style big boys from Shindi.

I will be owning the 8510 in March, I cannot wait for August and I don't want to buy a lower powered blower.

cfrymow
02-27-2008, 06:01 PM
I have a stihl br 420 witch is 5 years old and have not had one problem and a br 600 that's 1 year old. I still us the 420 over the 600. 420 is not as comfortable as 600 but 420 performs better in my opinion hope that helps a little

yungman
02-27-2008, 06:01 PM
I think the big Redmax (8000?) is as powerful as the EB8510 without the hybrid 4 cycle problem!!!!

Think twice before getting the hybrid 4 cycles like BR550 and EB8510. BR550 is not in the same class as Redmax 8000 or EB8510, not even close!!! Check out Redmax if you want to do a good blow job!!!:laugh::laugh:

shepoutside
02-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Stick with dealer support!!

tamadrummer
02-27-2008, 06:57 PM
I think the big Redmax (8000?) is as powerful as the EB8510 without the hybrid 4 cycle problem!!!!

What place are you getting your stats from? The redmax 8000 is a 71.9 CC engine and 203 mph

The Shindaiwa 8510 is 79.7cc and 224 mph

That may look like the same to you but it is no where near the same to me. I will go with the Shindi and Stihl Ultra HP oil and 93 octane gas.

yungman
02-27-2008, 07:46 PM
What place are you getting your stats from? The redmax 8000 is a 71.9 CC engine and 203 mph

The Shindaiwa 8510 is 79.7cc and 224 mph

That may look like the same to you but it is no where near the same to me. I will go with the Shindi and Stihl Ultra HP oil and 93 octane gas.

Close enough!!! You are going to take a big chance on hybrid for just a little gain?

I have the Shindaiwa EB3410 hand held, supposed to be the most powerful hand held, 200 mph, it is really not that powerful!!! If that is a true number, is should be as powerful as most of the BP. It is not!!! I think the numbers are just a guide line, and that is putting it politely. The engine size wise, cc to cc, I think 2 cycle is going to have a little advantage. The two is going to be very close. Noise wise, I am sure Shindi is going to be quieter.

But if you really get the 8510, keep us posted on how it work out.

KarambaStar
02-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Stihl vs. Shindaiwa,,the difference is dealer support. You can't go wrong with either,,equipment wise they're both top-notch. But dealer support should be your ultimate decision maker,,and that doesn't necessarily mean who is closer to you,,stop by the different dealers and feel them out,,the one that treats you best, the one you feel the most comfortable with should be the one you buy from. It's better to drive a few extra miles for a good dealer than to buy from a rotten one next door.
The EB8510 & EB3410 are currently the most powerful handheld & BP blowers in the world. Hybrid/mini 4-stroke is part of the future of - get used to it. It will only improve.
tamadrummer, the EB802 has a slightly larger displacement to meet EPA requirements...the specs are not significantly more than the EB630.

woodbutcher44
02-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Stick with dealer support!!

2 of my local dealers just droped shind's the guy I talked to said he will carry parts and service them but the co does not repay warranty work and the will still sell echo aand stilhon the floor .
He spoke about hedger over and over so I tend to think it nay be something with them as the main porblem .
Ive never used one so I cant say fist hand but Ihave a friend that uses nothing but shindi and swears that he will use nothing else .Well see when he has to drive 45 miles to get a new piece.

KarambaStar
02-27-2008, 09:04 PM
2 of my local dealers just droped shind's the guy I talked to said he will carry parts and service them but the co does not repay warranty work and the will still sell echo aand stilhon the floor .
He spoke about hedger over and over so I tend to think it nay be something with them as the main porblem .
Ive never used one so I cant say fist hand but Ihave a friend that uses nothing but shindi and swears that he will use nothing else .Well see when he has to drive 45 miles to get a new piece.

A little hard to under stand what you're trying to say.
My local Shindaiwa dealer, has told me they are very happy in that regard, the few times they've needed to file warranty, payment has been prompt. I'd have to suspect that perhaps your dealer tried to warranty something that wasn't covered...i.e abuse or misuse.

yungman
02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Stihl vs. Shindaiwa,,the difference is dealer support. You can't go wrong with either,,equipment wise they're both top-notch. But dealer support should be your ultimate decision maker,,and that doesn't necessarily mean who is closer to you,,stop by the different dealers and feel them out,,the one that treats you best, the one you feel the most comfortable with should be the one you buy from. It's better to drive a few extra miles for a good dealer than to buy from a rotten one next door.
The EB8510 & EB3410 are currently the most powerful handheld & BP blowers in the world. Hybrid/mini 4-stroke is part of the future of - get used to it. It will only improve.
tamadrummer, the EB802 has a slightly larger displacement to meet EPA requirements...the specs are not significantly more than the EB630.

According to spec alone, Maruyama 30cc hand held is the most powerful. But it is only the spec. I am lucky that the dealer close by carry Maruyama so I have the choice, I wish I would have bought the Maruyama instead.

I hope you are right about improving the hybrid 4 cycles in the future. I don't know how they can since the flaw is in the principle of having oil in the gas which burn and deposit onto the valves. This is the main problem of the hybrid 4 cycles. It was developed during WW2. But at the time, planes have more issue with bullets, not deposits on the valves!!!!

I have a suspicion in the future, hand held wil be power by battery. Industries are putting in a lot of R&D into hybrid and electric car, mainly on the battery, lighter and can hold more charge. They are making a lot of improvement already. One day, they will make the battery light enough to make all gas engine obsolete.

J&R Landscaping
02-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Shindaiwa on this one. If you want a true 2 stroke and want/need it now, go Redmax!

wimpy
02-27-2008, 10:28 PM
The stihl bg 85 is rated at 183mph(flat tube) with 341cfm, and 150mph(round tube) with 447cfm. Shindaiwa's eb3410 is rated at 199mph with 398cfm. Shindaiwa has a slight hp advantage and velocity advantage, but clearly outgunned by stihl in the air volume category. My question is, how does this all compare? Which blower is truely the most powerful of the two? I wish there were actual tests done to see.

yungman
02-27-2008, 11:11 PM
The stihl bg 85 is rated at 183mph(flat tube) with 341cfm, and 150mph(round tube) with 447cfm. Shindaiwa's eb3410 is rated at 199mph with 398cfm. Shindaiwa has a slight hp advantage and velocity advantage, but clearly outgunned by stihl in the air volume category. My question is, how does this all compare? Which blower is truely the most powerful of the two? I wish there were actual tests done to see.

That's the whole point, they all have different standard of testing, not exactly apple to orange, but different enough to confuse people. I read all those and try to make sense out of it but can't exactly. Bottom line, read the horse power and the size of the engine, pick the comparable ones to choose.

Far as I concern, I would sacrifice a little spec to get one that have a more reliable track record. I own a C4, I absolute would not buy another hybrid.

I think people are too much into brands, just because they make good product does not guarentee their new product is as reliable. People think any car by Toyota got to be good. They are wrong on V6 Camry and Lexus Gs430. You really have to keep up with the news. Boths Shindaiwa and Stihl make top quality 2 cycles equipment but it questionable on the hybrids.
This is the same reason I question Echo going to single ring engine. It has to be proven with time. I am not going to blindly endorse a product just by default particularly when it is quite different from their existing products. In the hybrid engines case, feedback is mixed at best.

When I bought my Honda trimmer, I bought HHT31S instead of the new HHT35S with the newer 35cc engine for the same reason. The 31cc push rod has been around for 10years where the new GX35 only out for 2 years and has timing belt. I rather pay same price for the old engine than to have the new one. I made the mistake when I first start buying lawn equipment by buying the EB3410, I contribute to the R&D already. I am going to play it safe with my money.

TandM
02-28-2008, 02:53 PM
I love my shini 8510 it is so powerful and starts in the cold every time. I have great dealer support and when he let me demo the shini vs. the 600 I liked the shini way better. Here are my reasons for buying it v.s. the stihl 1. it is more powerful. 2. it starts faster will blow bricks across a floor with ease it is more responsive and all in all I think shini is a much better product.This is the reason I bought a hedge trimmer from them this past week. I have not had a single problem with the c4 yet. I am not a stihl plan.

wimpy
03-09-2008, 03:13 AM
when he let me demo the shini vs. the 600 I liked the shini way better. Here are my reasons for buying it v.s. the stihl 1. it is more powerful. 2. it starts faster will blow bricks across a floor with ease it is more responsive and all in all I think shini is a much better product.

Funny! The dealership ran a test between the br 600 and the 8510 and the 600 blew harder, was quieter, and way more lighter.

delphied
03-09-2008, 06:30 AM
It is common knowledge on these threads that the big Redmax or the Stihl BR 600 are the the blowers to beat. I chose the Stihl BR600 and simply love it. Quiet, starts easy, and moves debris unbelievably well. You will read good and bad about every blower on here. Its like Pandoras box.

grasshopperslawn
03-09-2008, 06:50 AM
I am looking for a new backpack blower, either a stihl BR 550 or shindaiwa EB8520. the shindy has the biggest power of any of the otherr blowers witha 79.7cc engine and 762cfm at the end of the tube with 224 mph. although there is no shindaiwa dealers close to me,stihl dealers are everywhere though. I am concerned the stihls 4mix doesnt have the high end power compared to a 2 stroke blower,when it comes to a blower,I wouldnt think you would want low end torque type power because blowers dont get "bogged" down like a trimmer would,so a 2 stroke seems like the logical choice,but with the whole handheld industry going to 4 stroke engines,a 2 stroke might be obsolete in a couple years?Any opinions?

I have 2 Shindaiwa 8510 both are less than a year old I have had trouble with both. I have a Stihl br550 had it 4 years trouble free . Me personally wouls get the stihl backpack blowers and the shindaiwa weed eaters

grasshopperslawn
03-09-2008, 06:51 AM
I have 2 Shindaiwa 8510 both are less than a year old I have had trouble with both. I have a Stihl br550 had it 4 years trouble free . Me personally l would get the stihl backpack blowers and the shindaiwa weed eaters
Shindaiwa blowers from my experience are crap

KarambaStar
03-09-2008, 08:45 AM
I saw an EB630 last year that had completed it's tenth (and last) year of commercial use. It was pretty well beat up, and the engine was damaged I think, but the crew that ran it abuse their equipment like you've never seen before.

cgaengineer
03-09-2008, 09:14 AM
You can take a Stihl just about anywhere and have it serviced around here. I had never even heard of a Shinny until I joined this forum over a year ago.

qwaller
03-09-2008, 10:32 AM
All this classic Ford vs. Chevy BS gets old quick doesn't it. Many great products to choose from. Get what feels best in your hands. I am a BR600 fan myself, but it just felt best running on my back. I paid a little more because I got a great dealer 2 miles up the road. I am sure I would have been fine with a Redmax as well and this is was my second choice. No opinion on Shindy from me, But there is a lot of C4 buyers remorse on these boards.

Atlantic Lawn
03-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Stihl,on trimmers, but my guys still seem to like the reg models and not the 4 mix.

Turf Commando
03-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I have the same problem deciding on whats best, my dealer has both shindaiwa EB8510 and stihl BR550 ....
He says, stihl is his top seller and shindaiwa has many more returns then stihl biggest problem with the EB8510-> (engine failure)
So I just don't know, Stihl just seems to be the choice among many crews in my area ....

delphied
03-09-2008, 12:40 PM
I have the same problem deciding on whats best, my dealer has both shindaiwa EB8510 and stihl BR550 ....
He says, stihl is his top seller and shindaiwa has many more returns then stihl biggest problem with the EB8510-> (engine failure)
So I just don't know, Stihl just seems to be the choice among many crews in my area ....

Br600 is worth the little extra over the 550

Green Boots
03-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Being new to full time LC, what would be a decent below $350-$400. backpack? I know the BR600 sounds like the way to go, but the season here doesn't start for another 6 weeks or so, and I just about depleted all my winter cash on equipment and can't go $600.00 just yet on a BR600

Any suggestions?

yungman
03-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Being new to full time LC, what would be a decent below $350-$400. backpack? I know the BR600 sounds like the way to go, but the season here doesn't start for another 6 weeks or so, and I just about depleted all my winter cash on equipment and can't go $600.00 just yet on a BR600

Any suggestions?

Look harder for special sale, call around to all dealers near you. My dealer had a sale a month ago on BR600 for $349.

I'll stay with 2 cycles like Redmax etc. More reliable. Call around for any sale on Redmax, Echo or even Maruyama. These are all good 2 cycles. Get the biggest model, don't go for smaller ones.

Good luck.

delphied
03-09-2008, 02:12 PM

Any suggestions?

I started with a Redmax 2600 handheld for less than 200 from wisesales.com. At the end of last year I got the Br 600 for leaves. Try Russopower.com for Stihl and other brands.

landscaperdan
03-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Do we have a concensus on the Ford vs Chevy BS yet? I prefer the Stihl BR600 over the Redmax or Shindi, but am open to persuasion.....

Green Boots
03-09-2008, 05:10 PM
There are a lot of ECHO PB-413H/T blowers on ebay going around $160-$200.
Are they any good? What is the most important spec that I am looking for?

Here are the specs for the one i'm talking about:

Engine Displacement (cc.) 44
Average Air Volume* (cfm-pipe) 380
Average Air Volume** (cfm-housing) 800
Max. Air Speed* (mph) 175
Dry Weight+ (lbs.) 19.8

DFLS
03-09-2008, 05:41 PM
BR600 is the way to go.

yungman
03-09-2008, 06:41 PM
There are a lot of ECHO PB-413H/T blowers on ebay going around $160-$200.
Are they any good? What is the most important spec that I am looking for?

Here are the specs for the one i'm talking about:

Engine Displacement (cc.) 44
Average Air Volume* (cfm-pipe) 380
Average Air Volume** (cfm-housing) 800
Max. Air Speed* (mph) 175
Dry Weight+ (lbs.) 19.8

This is even weaker than my Shindaiwa EB3410 hand held blower!!!! This is nowhere strong enough for commercial use, I feel mine is very weak!!!. Go for the big guys, Go with Echo PB-620 minimum. Check out Redmax etc.

I'll be causion in buying on ebay. You really never get good deal. If you buy used, you don't know the condition. Be very careful on the shipping and handling. I see too many sellers bump up the shipping and handling. If you really want to save, find some online dealer with free shipping so you save sales tax and shipping. Go check out dealers around you, look for special sales and promotion.

Green Boots
03-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Who had the BR600 for $349.? This was new?

delphied
03-09-2008, 07:15 PM

Try whats called a google search

yungman
03-09-2008, 07:17 PM

It was in a dealer close to me, that was a 2 day sale in January and yes it was new. They had the BR550 for $299, FS110R for $269. My point is to call around first. They have special promotion. Stihl particular have a lot of promotions. Don't hung up on one particular brand. As long as you get one of the commercial unit, it will be good. Get the big ones. Read the past posts on hybrid 4 cycles first.

mowerbrad
03-09-2008, 07:29 PM
I've got a stihl backpack blower (don't remember the model) that is about 5 years old, still works like new. I've had very very little down time with it. Overall good machine.

Green Boots
03-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks yung. You're better than google. :laugh: