PDA

View Full Version : need help with 2004 F250 Diesel

PatiosInstalled
02-27-2008, 07:21 PM
ok i have two questions

first: Does anyone know what esso diesel is? i was at the pump the other night and filled my truck up. when i was done i noticed the pump i used said in big letter ESSO Diesel and the pump next to it just said diesel. im just wondering if there is a difference.

second: since the other night i have heard a buzzing sound from under the truck. so i climbed under it and its coming from a gatorade bottle sized black cylinder mounted to the frame right under the drivers seat. im pretty sure this is the fuel pump is it? it buzzes while the truck is on and continues for about 30 seconds after i turn it off but leaving the key in tho on position. what is casing this???

thanks Nick

OhioMowerGuy
02-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Id ask them questions on thedieselstop.com. You should some quick replies over there

DK lawn care
02-27-2008, 10:09 PM
or go to www.fordtrucks.com/forums. Its free to sign up and they have a superduty (250, 350, 450, 550, 650 and 750) forum and a 6.0 forum their to. Just like lawn site and has alot of members.

jbailey52
02-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Patios I have an 04.. (but manufactured in 03... which really means it has issues an 03 would.. not 04.. which is actually good.. people dont realize that often..).. anyway. that buzzing, is a module for mine it had to have a recall and be put on... it circulated the oil after you turn the engine off.. Diesels if you drive for an extended amount of time, you are suppossed to leave the engine idle for 5 mins before shutting it off to let the oil get to the heads... ford added this so you dont have to do that now.

PatiosInstalled
02-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Patios I have an 04.. (but manufactured in 03... which really means it has issues an 03 would.. not 04.. which is actually good.. people dont realize that often..).. anyway. that buzzing, is a module for mine it had to have a recall and be put on... it circulated the oil after you turn the engine off.. Diesels if you drive for an extended amount of time, you are suppossed to leave the engine idle for 5 mins before shutting it off to let the oil get to the heads... ford added this so you dont have to do that now.

this buzzing is actually a new sound it just started a day or two ago and its in the fuel pump i believe. it buzzes the entire time i drive.

jbailey52
02-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Oh ok... well then deff something different.. You should hear the oil mod while driving so I dont think it is that...

POPO4995
02-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Well, you do have a '04 Powerstroke....:rolleyes: Just kidding, I know one of the fuel filters is mounted below the driver's seat on the frame rail but I wouldnt think that would buzz....??

Idealtim
02-28-2008, 07:07 PM
If the truck is off and you roll the ignition to on, the fuel pump should cycle for about two seconds then quit. If the buzz corresponds to this, fuel pump?

PatiosInstalled
02-28-2008, 07:56 PM
If the truck is off and you roll the ignition to on, the fuel pump should cycle for about two seconds then quit. If the buzz corresponds to this, fuel pump?

yeah that buzz that you get when you turn your key to start the truck is the same buzz that continues.

CrystalCreek
02-28-2008, 08:00 PM
here is the real deal. The cylinder is a fuel filter water seperator heater. The buzzing is because the heating element is about to fail. The circuity of the truck keeps the unit pressureized after the truck shuts down, about 30 seconds. Get to the dealership. Its a B#%&h to replace yourself. If you loose the heating element, icing/gelling can occur in cold temps. This means the truck will not run. You will be stranded.

ESOS is the old trade mark exxon used They still label their pumps with it.

Thank god I traded my blood for Diesel Fuel:laugh:

jbailey52
02-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Well.. ha kinda hard to explain this over the computer.. but when you first turn your ignition on.. there are about 3-4 different 'buzzes' all happening at once.. but then they start stopping by themselves... fuel pump goes off after 2-3 secs... Glow plug coil warmer goes off.. if really cold anywhere from 10-13 sec or so and the oil circulation modulator (which I was talking about before) goes off after about 20 secs

CrystalCreek
02-28-2008, 08:08 PM
I don't want to start a fight, however Ford 6.0 diesels do not have a recircuilation pump on them. The oil pumps are gear driven which means he engine must be turning. This is true for even the HPOP. Maybe the 08 have this but I will find out tonight. That is what the bat cave is for.:laugh:

jbailey52
02-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Crystal... these were not stock on these early 2000 trucks.. there was a recall to have them installed... which is how mine has it. fordtrucks.com... great place to check it out

CrystalCreek
02-29-2008, 12:03 AM
2000 was the awsome 7.3 powerstroke, RIP:cry:in 2003.5 the 6.0 came out. do you have any info on the recall? TSB# or recall date. My source never heard of this devise. He works for ford here in Jersey. I am a member of both dieselstop and the ford forum. I have never heard of this devise, but if it exist, I would like to educate myself Thanks.

jbailey52
02-29-2008, 12:36 AM
Do not know.. I bought the truck used with 15,000 miles only on it, and the previous owner was telling me about the recall and he had it done. I also have seen the paper work for it, I will see if I can find it

btnj47
03-03-2008, 12:05 AM
I was a ford tech for over 10 yrs and am diesel certified from ford . the buzing when the key is turned on is the injectors cycling to prevent any sticking . the recal they had was a reproram for the computer to continue the injectors cycling after shutdoun for 30 sec or so . they actually updated that again and deciced its not needed so the dealer will reprogram it again if the old program is present and its in warrenty of course . if the noise is coming from that housing on the frame then you could possibly have a problem with heating element etc. as someone said.. also it is just a filter and heating housing refered to by ford as the horzontial fuel conditioning module and does not pump any fuel . hope this helps clear up some things