PDA

View Full Version : Another Freaking Door Hanger....lol

TheTurfTender
02-27-2008, 07:35 PM
After the fact too. I already have them...2000. I am just trying to imagine what going to 2000 doors is going to be like!!

Let me know what you think! Thanks,

B

Advancedexc
02-27-2008, 08:02 PM
mine use to look like that they didnt get to far all i dint was put i had inc. and i get way more calls now high end home want to make sure you are insured but they dont want to have to call you and ask they want to see it on the hanger.

TheTurfTender
02-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Yea, I missed that one. I have a business card that I am stapeling to the back that shows our insurance #.

Grits
02-27-2008, 10:20 PM
It looks good.

Whitey4
02-27-2008, 11:27 PM
So, you are quoting a price on a door hanger? Sorry, just don't like that. Now, they don't think they need to talk to you, and that is when I close deals.

I wait for a phone call. Then I survey the property. Then I write a full 1 1/2 page report on their property. I mention specific specimen plants, what type of weeds thay have, outline a full plan for their property with full weed control apps, etc. Dethatch Zosia, over seed in the fall for cool season grasses.

NO ONE does this. Except me. My close rate is 90%. If you give them a price up front, you are selling based on price. You are, or should be worth more than a number.

If I had that hanger, I would write on everyone of them, please call me! You are losing a chance to sell yourself with an up front price. Nuthin says I'm right... 'cept for me. if you can make that work for you, then tell me I was wrong, no problem with that.

TheTurfTender
02-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Whitey,

I struggled with that one for awhile too. I asked 20 people in my neighborhood, and some family and friends what method they preferred- Price or not- An about 80% wanted to see the price. I hear what you are saying however, and I am still kind of working on the fly so......

I do however, offer an analysis on the property vaguely outlined on this attachment. I was hoping it would help on my efforts! Gald to see it working for others!

B

Whitey4
02-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Whitey,

I struggled with that one for awhile too. I asked 20 people in my neighborhood, and some family and friends what method they preferred- Price or not- An about 80% wanted to see the price. I hear what you are saying however, and I am still kind of working on the fly so......

I do however, offer an analysis on the property vaguely outlined on this attachment. I was hoping it would help on my efforts! Gald to see it working for others!

B

That's the flip side? I like that a lot. Why do people want a price up front? because they think you will do the same job as the next guy, but who is cheaper?

I understand why people feel that way.... how freakin annoying is it that when WE look at equipment on line, these companies like Echo never give us the stinkin MSRP? They give us all the specs... we can read other's opinions, but the suggested retail price is some deep freakin dark secret.

The difference is, we sell a service, not a product. In the service industries, it's a quality sell, not a price sell. These aren't hard goods. I feel the only way to sell quality service is to avoid up front pricing. Once they see my property report, I have very few price objections, although there will always be some. When they are price sensitive, I just start cutting services. OK, no aeration. That will save you money. Then they feel like they aren't getting quality. Cut a fert app. There's another $40 maam. No, the lawn won't look as good, but you want a lower price. I'll cultivate the beds bi-weekly, instead of every week.

That's how I sell up my services to the price sensitive. So far, it seems to work, but keep in mind, I am only in year two, and last year I never really thought everything out... I thought this was a fill-in job.... so I'm really in my first year. However, I am very experienced in sales... and I'm on the long side of 50 years old, so I've been around the block. Taking away services from the price sensitive really seems to work. "But maam, I thought you wanted to lower your bill. Did your last LCO offer all these services?"

Most of the time, they end up saying "well, you are supposed to know what my property needs..." and I'm right back at full services again. Sure, I lost one or two that way.... but i figure I'm better off without the price shoppers.

I can do about 60 an hour.... and after about 3 hours and nine miles of walking, I'm done. I have another 1400 or so to get out. In any case, best of luck... and in the end, do things the way you feel are the right way for you.

DISTURBEDSMR
02-28-2008, 12:32 AM
I don't agree with putting the price on the doorhanger either I want to meet the customer personally and sell them on my service not on my price I am higher than alot of people in the area but my quality is better. I also want to find out why they are wanting to change from their current lawn service and then I note it in their file and make absolute sure we don't do it even if it is something little. I put out doorhangers every week still have about 8000 in boxes avg. 1500 every week with about 3 calls and have sold every call so far since I started the doorhangers.

TheTurfTender
02-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Whitey, You sound pretty expierenced in sales! What business were you in prior to going green? I was in the Investment business, and ran into some leagal issues!! Way to much liability for me, and those companies don't give 2 cents about you. Ok, yes I am a litter bitter, but I realized I like cutting grass, and being outside. Then the fact that I hold all the cards and am only accountable to myself and off we go.

I really like the way you present it though. Value added. I can do it right, and then I can do it cheaper. I bet it takes me at least a year to get the rebuddles down!

Thanks for the insight, it is much appreciated!

Brandon

Grits
02-28-2008, 01:45 AM
Whitey,
You sound like a wise man. Probably cause you are sooooooo old! :) J/K
I really like your way of thinking. Your post in this thread has opened my eyes to better things. Thank you.

A1Lawns
02-28-2008, 02:08 AM
mine use to look like that they didnt get to far all i dint was put i had inc. and i get way more calls now high end home want to make sure you are insured but they dont want to have to call you and ask they want to see it on the hanger.

Not trying to be mean here but dude, are you illiterate? Honest. Or just a real BAD typer?
Read your post again, please. You're telling me this is acceptable for you?

It's actually painful reading your post.

A1Lawns
02-28-2008, 02:14 AM
[QUOTE=Whitey4;2178563
If I had that hanger, I would write on everyone of them, please call me! You are losing a chance to sell yourself with an up front price. Nuthin says I'm right... 'cept for me. if you can make that work for you, then tell me I was wrong, no problem with that.[/QUOTE]

Amen!!! Good input!

DLASSSANDERS
02-28-2008, 02:29 AM
what do door hangers typically cost? How many come per order

Whitey4
02-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Whitey, You sound pretty expierenced in sales! What business were you in prior to going green? I was in the Investment business, and ran into some leagal issues!! Way to much liability for me, and those companies don't give 2 cents about you. Ok, yes I am a litter bitter, but I realized I like cutting grass, and being outside. Then the fact that I hold all the cards and am only accountable to myself and off we go.

I really like the way you present it though. Value added. I can do it right, and then I can do it cheaper. I bet it takes me at least a year to get the rebuddles down!

Thanks for the insight, it is much appreciated!

Brandon

I was in high tech defense electronics for a long time, selling to the prime contractors as a sub. The Grummans, Lockheeds, Martin Marrietta, Raytheon, etc. Finally got burned out living in hotel rooms. Then I had a solo drywall company. I specialized in small, but difficult repairs. The houses here are as old as I am, and all the builders sand painted the ceilings. I was able to do patch repairs and make them invisable... bathroom leak damage, that sort of thing.... until carpal tunnel put an end to that. Then I was a subway train operator in NYC. Didn't do much selling there! Had a back problem, spinal fusion... now I do this.

Yes Grits, I'm an old fart. But it's hard to keep a stubborn Irishman down!

I got certifed for pesticides because I wanted to be able to cut additional services when I got price objetons (and to make a lot more $ per customer). Telling a customer they will lose out on some services is I think, a great way to upsell them. "What do you mean I can't have that? I want that though!" Telling people thay can't have something works.

Remember Groucho Marx's line? "I won't join any club that would have me as a member!" That is how country clubs sell memberships. Not everyone can get in... so it's exclusive. Tell someone thay can't have something, and then they want it even more. You even have to be a member for BJ's and Costco too. Same marketing ploy.

I had one customer do a complete 180 when I told her I might not be the right landscaper for her. She was almost insulted... she started with just a mow and blow, now I have lime and ferts, and a 6' arbovite to plant for her. That is a bit risky, and won't always work. But, I had little to lose... I make no money on mow and blows around here.

Anyway, that is just my way.... one thing I learned about sales is that there are few rules. I've seen a lot of sucessful sales people, and they all have their own style and comfort zone. They learned how to play to their strengths. Me, I can't tell a joke worth a darn, so I don't try. I did learn to smile though, especially at first contact. Good luck selling! Luck never hurts either!