PDA

View Full Version : Engine overheat..?

Turf Commando
02-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Talked to my dealer he said, you can tell when a mower engine has been overheated, by the color of dipstick turning from white to black is this true...?

Also, how long, is too long to run a mower engine? is their any signs to look for ?
Going to use a synthetic oil in my walk- behind told it handles heat better which = longer engine life...

AmsoilPower
02-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Talked to my dealer he said, you can tell when a mower engine has been overheated, by the color of dipstick turning from white to black is this true...?

Going to use a synthetic oil in my walk- behind told it handles heat better which = longer engine life...

All dipsticks will have discoloration over time, but if it turned black you probably had some heat issues. Was the oil "baked" on the dipstick? Check into Amsoil as your choice of synthetic oil. I can get you any info you want.

yungman
02-27-2008, 11:43 PM
I never heard of time limit on how long you can run your engine. I think it is more important to make sure no crap blocking the fins so the engine get the air to cool it. If that has been eliminated, check the plug to make sure it is not whitelish color ( over heat). If you have clean air filter and carb is tune, I don't think dip stick will be a good way to indicate anything......Well I hope you do change oil!!!!!!

Turf Commando
02-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Was the oil "baked" on the dipstick?
It was just a question for the sake of argument nothing more...

tacoma200
02-27-2008, 11:56 PM

Though most engines will do fine with conventional motor oil no doubt the synthetic would improve performance and increase engine life on average. Less friction, less wear, less heat, etc. There is definately a reason that a company like Exmark uses synthetic oil/fluid in the hydraulic system. There is no oil cooler (at least not on mine) and the synthetic breaks down at a slower rate. I'm not a mechanic but this is agreed upon by most. If you keep your engine clean of debris, over heating shouldn't be a big issue, they are designed to run for extended periods.

Turf Commando
02-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks guys for clearing this up, knowledge is power....