PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer

jhsmith4
02-27-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm thinking about purchasing and operating out of an enclosed trailer. I've inquired about a 8x16 Horton V-nose with a 60" side ramp for $5475 out the door. A 8x20 V-nose is $400 more. I have a Hustler Super Z 60" w/bac-vac and a Trimstar 48" w/b and using a 14' open trailer now, but things are tight. I like the idea of security and not loading and unloading daily to keep my equipment out of the weather. Would you settle with the 16' or go for the 20'?'.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
02-27-2008, 10:15 PM
What do you have to pull it with and are these 3500lb or 5200lb axles. With your current setup 16' would be plenty but if you plan to grow and a 20' would work in your area then I'd go that route.

jbailey52
02-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Ya know, we run several open trailers.. no enclosed.. and I dunno about the security thing.. when I decide to buy an enclosed, I know at the end of the night I will still empty and lock everything up at our shop.. and then leave the enclosed trailer doors OPEN all night so the thefts see theres no reason to break in there... My construction friends say they have gotten their trailer walls cut right through and had people steal stuff.. and ruin the trailer at the same time

hanson's glc
02-28-2008, 03:53 AM
the v nose will pull nicer down the road. and a little more room. but will you have problems park it at the job sites. i just ordered a 18x8.5 non v nose. i went with that becay=use i have a 12x6 i was useing and any where i could drop the gate and not block a driveway i can park the 18 foot. for $400 go for it.

dave k
02-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Go to the search area and type in 16' homesteader Hercules trailer and you will see a pic of mine for sale, it is a excellent trailer, my cell is 678.234.8662 I live near Athens, I need to see because I am getting my new trailer next week. It has all the details on that page.

LawnGuy73
02-28-2008, 09:55 AM
I have been running open trailers for years, now I'm thinking that I too would like to get an enclosed trailer. The problem is that I just bought a new all aluminum 7x16 open trailer and I think I would lose my butt trading it in. Maybe I will put it up for sale on here.

jbailey52
02-28-2008, 10:05 AM
i dunno about everyone else.. but we seems to always buy our open trailers new... I just dont see buying a new open trailer.. when we can get used ones so cheap.. just some paint and they are brand new.

zz4guy
02-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Ya know, we run several open trailers.. no enclosed.. and I dunno about the security thing.. when I decide to buy an enclosed, I know at the end of the night I will still empty and lock everything up at our shop.. and then leave the enclosed trailer doors OPEN all night so the thefts see theres no reason to break in there... My construction friends say they have gotten their trailer walls cut right through and had people steal stuff.. and ruin the trailer at the same time

I guess that is a concern if you live in that kind of neighborhood. But I dont and I would never use an open trailer. Park it and lock it and you are done. Plus there's more room to hold chainsaws, rakes, shovels. I keep everything in my trailer. Don't even have to empty it out in the winter.

jbailey52
02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
True.. but you (not being sinical) are a smaller operation, so its nice to have everything locked up in one unit... we dont have that option having so much machinery... Plus.. were not in a bad neighborhood at all.. matter of fact money magazine had us as best town in America 2005 hah kinda funny as I think about it.. but there are theives everywhere... so we unload everything.. and load them into our storage containers at night, then lock up all trucks and trailers, and lock up the gates.

zz4guy
02-28-2008, 11:20 AM
I just love having everything in one place. I am forgetful and have drove accross town only to forget a grass bagger. So now I put EVERYTHING in the trailer or truck and all I have to remember is the trailer.

But to each his own!

jbailey52
02-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Very true.. not to mentin the labor time I have to pay for loading and unloading everyday..just wouldnt work for us tho... but I wish it would!