PDA

View Full Version : I am ROYALLY P.Oed!!

Chilehead
02-28-2008, 12:28 AM
I have been reading alot of threads and posts lately about using doorhangers to advertise. Just 2 weeks ago I ordered 5000 doorhangers. I went out yesterday to start placing them in residential subdivisions, and I get cited by a cop. "You need a solicitation permit to distribute those materials, son." The cop gives me a ticket--turns out to be $55.00. I decide to go to the county next door and the same thing happens--I get cited and a ticket. This time $40.00. Bottom line: I need a permit to distribute doorhangers, and the permit is only good for one day!! And people wonder why the Atlanta market has more illegals working in it than San Antonio. After you budget for an effective marketing campaign, there's no money left for payroll! Anyone else had this happen?

TheTurfTender
02-28-2008, 01:05 AM
How much is a permit?

barefeetny
02-28-2008, 01:09 AM
i would go to the second county there tickets are cheaper

doing the same thing and expecting diffrent results is....the definition of stupidity

get a permit....and i'm not being mean.... just honest

DuraCutter
02-28-2008, 01:33 AM
I have been reading alot of threads and posts lately about using doorhangers to advertise. Just 2 weeks ago I ordered 5000 doorhangers. I went out yesterday to start placing them in residential subdivisions, and I get cited by a cop. "You need a solicitation permit to distribute those materials, son." The cop gives me a ticket--turns out to be $55.00. I decide to go to the county next door and the same thing happens--I get cited and a ticket. This time $40.00. Bottom line: I need a permit to distribute doorhangers, and the permit is only good for one day!! And people wonder why the Atlanta market has more illegals working in it than San Antonio. After you budget for an effective marketing campaign, there's no money left for payroll! Anyone else had this happen?

A PERMIT???

WOW!!! The more I read about your laws as our neighbors I'm amazed at how many permits, bylaws etc... you guys have to deal with... that does not exist in Canada.

Sometimes I wonder if "the land of the free" really is true in the us nowadays...

Good luck

:)

SILVERSTREAK INC
02-28-2008, 03:00 AM
so much for the right of free enterprise

barefeetny
02-28-2008, 03:14 AM
i'm usually against laws...

but these places probably have laws because people insist on doing things like flyering every car at the mall...

papering every house in a 4 mile raduis on a windy day

maybe its just they want some accountability or 10 dollars

only thing i can say is..play by the rules of the game your playing....some people put 500 dollars in free parking

cgaengineer
02-28-2008, 07:43 AM

I am sorry for your tickets, maybe DuraCutter has the answer...

We will move to Canada!! Just look at the fringe benefits, "free" public health care with short lines, firearms ban and public places where you can go to shoot up, fully equipped with clean needles. Just look at the bright side...you would be able to put flyers on doors and not worry about a ticket!

Thing that gets me is, I am on do not call list and still get calls and I may get one or two bills in mail box and the rest is junk mail...nobody does anything about junk mail.

Roger
02-28-2008, 10:26 AM
These kinds of threads that discuss soliciting, and the need of permits, show up on LS frequently. This thread follows the typical response, "... stupid laws," "... crazy people with nothing else to do," "... municipality just trying to make money," and the like.

I'm confused why so many are confused. If the municipality has an ordinance against door-to-door without a permit, then why is that hard to follow? Somebody asked the cost of the permit, but the question was not answered. In my area, the cost of the permit is $0.00, yes, nothing.

The outcry against local ordinances is a mystery. Any municipality is covered with a myriad of ordinances and laws. Everybody is subject to them. But, the one regarding solicitation without a permit seems to really honk off some people. Why? Why choose on this ordinance, and not others? Why not be in outrage over the ordinance that controls signs along the roadways, the setbacks of houses, the location of swimming pools, the height of buildings to be built, the location of traffic signs/signals? Why is this single ordinance picked out as the target for outrage?

Why is it so difficult to comply with this ordinance, when many of you comply with a whole host of others, without blinking an eye?

The outrage seems to be that one person knows better how to run the municipality than another. If this is the case, there are plenty of opportunities, often a pleading, for folks to step up to be part of local governmental bodies that create the ordinances. When those opportunities arise, are the complainers going to be front and center, willing to volunteer their time and effort to be part of those committees? If you are willing to call these ordinances stupid, crazy, restraint of freedom, curtailing free enterprise, and so forth, you have plenty of opportunity to make the changes.

flakebortch
02-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Once again Roger you've authored the feel good post of the year. :rolleyes:

tamadrummer
02-28-2008, 11:03 AM

We will move to Canada!! Just look at the fringe benefits, "free" public health care with short lines, firearms ban and public places where you can go to shoot up, fully equipped with clean needles. Just look at the bright side...you would be able to put flyers on doors and not worry about a ticket!

Thing that gets me is, I am on do not call list and still get calls and I may get one or two bills in mail box and the rest is junk mail...nobody does anything about junk mail.

Just don't get caught with an open container of beer outside!! You will go straight to jail, no pass go, no collect $200.

On another note, sorry for your plight dude. Honestly I don't know if I need a permit here but I am licensed to mow in the state, county, and my local city and if I start mowing in Dade City, I will get licensed there too. When I went to my local city I thought I had more customers in the city limits, NOPE. Just about half.

Go figure and all of my marketing is targeted outside the actual city limits but it is only $30 a year to be legal in the City so I will pay it....

Good Luck and hopefully pleading ignorance will get you somewhere!

larryinalabama
02-28-2008, 11:16 AM
You should have told the stupid cop NO SPEAKA INGLESH

Meanwhile 2 Judges get shot in their own court room, 4 banks get robbed 6 people murdered, Heck it aint even noon in Atlanta

Chilehead
02-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Good mix of responses, guys--thanks. However, my beef lies in the counties' definitions of where and who a permit is required for. Permits range in cost from $25-$100+ a day. According to the county clerks, they are reserved for those who wish to plaster windshields with flyers in parking lots, or for door-to-door salesman who have a product with them to sell. Concerning doorhangers, no one in the county government could give me a straight answer of "yes" or "no". I don't think it is right for someone to break the law, no matter how stupid it may seem. I do however have the right to know the law if I request it from someone in authority, and if that person is incompetent in providing it, I should not be penalized.

larryinalabama
02-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Good mix of responses, guys--thanks. However, my beef lies in the counties' definitions of where and who a permit is required for. Permits range in cost from $25-$100+ a day. According to the county clerks, they are reserved for those who wish to plaster windshields with flyers in parking lots, or for door-to-door salesman who have a product with them to sell. Concerning doorhangers, no one in the county government could give me a straight answer of "yes" or "no". I don't think it is right for someone to break the law, no matter how stupid it may seem. I do however have the right to know the law if I request it from someone in authority, and if that person is incompetent in providing it, I should not be penalized.

Dont pay the ticket see if you can get a day in Court. That ties the whole system up. A reasonable Judge should dismiss the whole thing, otherwise the cop has to go to court.

Mabey you could get some door hangers demanding that the police chief resign, just get a permit

cgaengineer
02-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Dont pay the ticket see if you can get a day in Court. That ties the whole system up. A reasonable Judge should dismiss the whole thing, otherwise the cop has to go to court.

Mabey you could get some door hangers demanding that the police chief resign, just get a permit

Also you can pass some flyers out while in court, offer the judge a free month!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

moonscapes
02-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Wow..I can't believe the permits are so much. I've been sending out postcards and doing some door to door flyers. Can I be nosey and ask what counties?? I sure don't want a ticket and I'm close to your area!

Chilehead
02-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Wow..I can't believe the permits are so much. I've been sending out postcards and doing some door to door flyers. Can I be nosey and ask what counties?? I sure don't want a ticket and I'm close to your area!

Henry and Fayette so far....dare I try others?

DuraCutter
02-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Just don't get caught with an open container of beer outside!! You will go straight to jail, no pass go, no collect $200.

In the news today, they announced that 1 in 100 Us resident is in jail. When will they stop making new laws, when everyone is put away?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Us, always have, but it's becoming a police state it seems!!

Chilehead
02-28-2008, 10:51 PM
In the news today, they announced that 1 in 100 Us resident is in jail. When will they stop making new laws, when everyone is put away?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Us, always have, but it's becoming a police state it seems!!

I heard that too. It's sad that we are moving ever more rapidly towards an all-powerful government: a communist government.

jdmcat
02-28-2008, 11:11 PM

maybe you should have researched your local ordinances first...

actually, if you read the fine print at the bottom of those credit card offers there is a phone number you can call to "opt out" of pre screened credit offers, cuts down on them by quite a bit. i find it fun to, however, to tear up all the contents of each one into small pieces and mail it back to them in their own envelope.

yes there is a high incarceration rate but they also said the crime rate hasn't increased. something seems to be working. are we forgetting that the people in prison are criminals?

landscaper22
02-28-2008, 11:13 PM
A PERMIT???

WOW!!! The more I read about your laws as our neighbors I'm amazed at how many permits, bylaws etc... you guys have to deal with... that does not exist in Canada.

Sometimes I wonder if "the land of the free" really is true in the us nowadays...

Good luck

Yeah, I say this stuff to myself all the time. About half of the people in this country truly want freedom and want the government to stop sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. The other half want the government to hold their hand, guide them through life, and supply them with their needs. Therefore we get regulated, licensed, permitted and taxed to death. And after we get taxed to death, we get taxed again!
If you think about it, our country rewards failure and penalizes success. I will not go keep on, because I could write a book about this subject.

:usflag::usflag:*trucewhiteflag*

DuraCutter
02-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I say this stuff to myself all the time. About half of the people in this country truly want freedom and want the government to stop sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. The other half want the government to hold their hand, guide them through life, and supply them with their needs. Therefore we get regulated, licensed, permitted and taxed to death. And after we get taxed to death, we get taxed again!
If you think about it, our country rewards failure and penalizes success. I will not go keep on, because I could write a book about this subject.

:usflag::usflag:*trucewhiteflag*

You're right, it's half and half. Problem is if the normal guys like you don't get directly involved in politics and tell politicians what you want, it won't make a difference. I'm also guilty of ignoring politics here in Canada. We're sort of headed the way the Us is, we're just maybe a decade behind but leaning that way.

The founders of the United States of America as you know way more than me put in place all kinds of safeguards in the constitution to protect the citizen from opression from the govt. Problem is, if you don't watch your govt, they'll use all kinds of tricks to chip away at those rights to weaken the population and make it easier to govern... it's a tough subject no doubt!!!

One thing I know, you constitution was put together by some guys that were mighty smart..!!!

echo8287
02-29-2008, 01:09 AM
Hey Chile, them government types in Mc Donough gotta pay for them nice Christmas lights yall have on the square in December. Those Henry county police, rank right up there with the Gestapo. Right up the street from Chile, Hwy 81 meets I-75>the route to Florida.

I was bass fishing on a lake with a friend down that way one time. We took a case of beer with us.(this was back when you could fish on the lake and drink beer, now days they have enforcement with blue lights on the boats and give you nice BUI's) Well my friend had just been to the doctor and had some kind of blood problem and he couldn't drink any beer. I drank 2 beers at lunch time and then no more. We left the lake that evening after dark and proceeded home. Got on the ramp for I-75 north, and I see 3 police cars speeding up the ramp too. I told my buddy they must have robbed a bank up the road.
NOOOOOOOO> they pulled in behind us. Turns out one of my boat trailer lights was out. The sheriff was with a bunch of rookie cops giving them a nice shake down lesson. The cops(6 in all) scoured the van and boat with flashlights and saw one of the beer bottles in the boat.
Sheriff> son I believe you are drunk, spit that chewing gum out and you will have to submit to a breath test.
Me> Do I look drunk? fine where's your balloon?
Sheriff> you will have to go to the station to do it.
Me> The station will be 30 miles away when I have to drive to the next exit and back. You don't keep baloon's in the cars?
Sheriff> Son, you won't have to drive, you'll be riding in the back of one of my cars.

We get to the station and I take the breath test> .00 and they give me a ticket for no inspection sticker on my boat trailer, a $35.00 fine back then. Later on Jimmy Glass the sheriff was arrested by the feds for allowing drug smugglers to land at the Henry County airport and unload, "payback does happen occasionally".David

Chilehead
02-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Hey Chile, them government types in Mc Donough gotta pay for them nice Christmas lights yall have on the square in December. Those Henry county police, rank right up there with the Gestapo. Right up the street from Chile, Hwy 81 meets I-75>the route to Florida.

I was bass fishing on a lake with a friend down that way one time. We took a case of beer with us.(this was back when you could fish on the lake and drink beer, now days they have enforcement with blue lights on the boats and give you nice BUI's) Well my friend had just been to the doctor and had some kind of blood problem and he couldn't drink any beer. I drank 2 beers at lunch time and then no more. We left the lake that evening after dark and proceeded home. Got on the ramp for I-75 north, and I see 3 police cars speeding up the ramp too. I told my buddy they must have robbed a bank up the road.
NOOOOOOOO> they pulled in behind us. Turns out one of my boat trailer lights was out. The sheriff was with a bunch of rookie cops giving them a nice shake down lesson. The cops(6 in all) scoured the van and boat with flashlights and saw one of the beer bottles in the boat.
Sheriff> son I believe you are drunk, spit that chewing gum out and you will have to submit to a breath test.
Me> Do I look drunk? fine where's your balloon?
Sheriff> you will have to go to the station to do it.
Me> The station will be 30 miles away when I have to drive to the next exit and back. You don't keep baloon's in the cars?
Sheriff> Son, you won't have to drive, you'll be riding in the back of one of my cars.

We get to the station and I take the breath test> .00 and they give me a ticket for no inspection sticker on my boat trailer, a $35.00 fine back then. Later on Jimmy Glass the sheriff was arrested by the feds for allowing drug smugglers to land at the Henry County airport and unload, "payback does happen occasionally".David

Nice story(not for you, I guess). I know plenty of officers who aren't on a power trip, but they have informed me of many more who are. Also, Durracutter: your last post was spot on. Politicians will chip away at citizen's rights, all the while making declarations that they will fight to keep those rights working on behalf of the citizens. To quote Justin McCleod from the movie A Man Without a Face, "The truth?! You don't care about the truth. You care about the appearance of the truth." All too true today.

landscaper22
02-29-2008, 03:24 PM
You're right, it's half and half. Problem is if the normal guys like you don't get directly involved in politics and tell politicians what you want, it won't make a difference. I'm also guilty of ignoring politics here in Canada. We're sort of headed the way the Us is, we're just maybe a decade behind but leaning that way.

The founders of the United States of America as you know way more than me put in place all kinds of safeguards in the constitution to protect the citizen from opression from the govt. Problem is, if you don't watch your govt, they'll use all kinds of tricks to chip away at those rights to weaken the population and make it easier to govern... it's a tough subject no doubt!!!

One thing I know, you constitution was put together by some guys that were mighty smart..!!!

I am getting more involved with politics. 8-10 years ago I was like the rest of the fools out there. Then I woke up...But I had to start from scratch, slowly doing research and trying to cut through the B.S. to figure out what I know now. I never voted in an election until about 8 years ago either.
The main problem is that people are too involved with work, sports, partying, and celebrity worship, to care about politics. The point they keep missing is that no sports figure or celebrity figure is going to make a difference in or have any effect on your life at all. But politics directly effects your life and my life each and every day. And politicians eat up the fact that most Americans ( and I am sure this is true in Canada too) don't want to make room for politics. The senators and congress members probably laugh every day when they get up and read the papers and watch the news. All the headlines are sports and celebrity related. Then like you said, they slowly chip away at your rights. But when they get on the television they tell us that everything is going to be fine, just vote for me, and keep your focus on your favorite sports team or the latest celebrity gossip. I bet most Americans don't even know who their representatives are. But they know what Britney Spears bought at the grocery store last week, or what color panties she has on...Oh wait, I don't think she wears any....:dizzy:
It is really sad....
I heard a statistic about taxes just this morning. It now takes the average American 4 months out of a year to pay all of his or her tax burdens. That includes all federal, state, and local taxes (including property tax). And many still want more government. Remember this....A government that is large enough to supply you all of your needs is a governmnet that is large enough to take everything you have. I don't know about you guys, but I think I can do a better job of spending my own money than the government can.

cgaengineer
02-29-2008, 04:04 PM
I am getting more involved with politics. 8-10 years ago I was like the rest of the fools out there. Then I woke up...But I had to start from scratch, slowly doing research and trying to cut through the B.S. to figure out what I know now. I never voted in an election until about 8 years ago either.
The main problem is that people are too involved with work, sports, partying, and celebrity worship, to care about politics. The point they keep missing is that no sports figure or celebrity figure is going to make a difference in or have any effect on your life at all. But politics directly effects your life and my life each and every day. And politicians eat up the fact that most Americans ( and I am sure this is true in Canada too) don't want to make room for politics. The senators and congress members probably laugh every day when they get up and read the papers and watch the news. All the headlines are sports and celebrity related. Then like you said, they slowly chip away at your rights. But when they get on the television they tell us that everything is going to be fine, just vote for me, and keep your focus on your favorite sports team or the latest celebrity gossip. I bet most Americans don't even know who their representatives are. But they know what Britney Spears bought at the grocery store last week, or what color panties she has on...Oh wait, I don't think she wears any....:dizzy:
It is really sad....
I heard a statistic about taxes just this morning. It now takes the average American 4 months out of a year to pay all of his or her tax burdens. That includes all federal, state, and local taxes (including property tax). And many still want more government. Remember this....A government that is large enough to supply you all of your needs is a governmnet that is large enough to take everything you have. I don't know about you guys, but I think I can do a better job of spending my own money than the government can.

And just be glad you dont get all the government you pay for!!

landscaper22
02-29-2008, 05:28 PM
And just be glad you dont get all the government you pay for!!

:laugh: Yeah, but someone does. We are just paying for their free ride.

moonscapes
02-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Chile-try Clayton-I'm sure there are plenty of real estate agents with houses sitting in Clayton that need some maintenance-since everyone will be moving out when they lose their school accredidation!

topsites
02-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Maybe, just maybe they are doing this to curb down on illegal businesses.
How do you think they advertise?

They can't tailor the wording of the law for every specific situation, if this were the case nobody would ever be found guilty of breaking the law. Oh no sir I wasn't doing THAT (exactly) no really I was (blablabla)...
So a general outline is given, this is legal, this isn't, yup.

Try an ad in the paper, how I do it, nobody has ever said a word to me in 5 years over that.

Chilehead
02-29-2008, 11:53 PM
Chile-try Clayton-I'm sure there are plenty of real estate agents with houses sitting in Clayton that need some maintenance-since everyone will be moving out when they lose their school accredidation!

Yeah.....Clayton County......right. No seriously, I do have some work in Clayton County, but have trouble keeping my goods safe. It is only in Clayton County that I repeatedly have people(normally college-age kids) rummage through my truck bed when I am paying for gas at a filling station. Only in Clayton County that residents all train their pit bulls, rottweilers, and doberman pinschers to attack aggressively at the mere sight of a stranger. ONLY in Clayton County where most males under 25 can't speak the english language with the proficiency of even a fourth-grader. Mostly every car that passes me ONLY in Clayton County has some form of music where the lyrics sound something like,"Ghetto rapper ugly gonna getcha, gonna getcha! Me and my crew packin' heat--we gonna fetch you! I got three bit%&es on my stick, yeah they all wanna lick........" and you get the picture.