PDA

View Full Version : yellow pages

cspaugh
02-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Does anyone advertise in the yellow pages? What are the costs and do you see a good return. Just trying to figure how to best spend my $$$$..Thanks

AI Inc
02-28-2008, 10:25 AM
I was in it for about 10 yrs. No one picks up a yellow pages and makes 1 call. Most seem to be shoppers, but they are serious buyers. Now I just do a line add. Before I speant about $2k a yr.

DBL
02-28-2008, 10:33 AM
i dont know how it is around you but the last yellow pages that came out here had to have over 250 landscapers in it....im not getting lost in that crowd for the amount of money they want

Ronniecoleman
02-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Yellowpages.com does offer a free listing if anyone is interested.

http://www.yellowpages.com/advertising?rel=nofollow

Raven386
02-28-2008, 01:36 PM
I did the yellowbook. i got 1 call from it for plowing. didnt pay for the ad thats for sure. so in the end it wasnt worth the money for me.

lawnpro724
02-28-2008, 02:11 PM
It really depends on the area your in. Smaller areas tend to have better yellow page advertising results than larger metro areas. I advertise in all are area phone books and receive a ton of calls throughout the year and the jobs I pick up from them pay my advertising cost many times over. I advertise in many different venues and when I receive a call I always ask where they got my number so I have a good idea where to spend advertising dollars and where not to spend. #1 Yellow pages #2 Word of mouth #3 Local paper #4 flyers, doorhangers #5 Store benches

Team-Green L&L
02-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Yellowbook is such a joke. The per customer acquisition rate is like $170 for our industry. OUCH!...and that's if your ad is successful. Our local book seems to be doing well at around $3000 a year we get (2) 2 x 2's with color + the line listings.

I wouldn't get rid of it if that's the answer you're looking for?

hackitdown
02-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Yellowpages.com does offer a free listing if anyone is interested.

http://www.yellowpages.com/advertising?rel=nofollow

Nice tip...thanks.

P.Services
02-28-2008, 04:09 PM
waste of your money!!! dont do it!!!!!

Raven386
02-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Id say postcards or some kind of mailers or doorhangers would yield more results than an ad in the phonebook...jmo

Team-Green L&L
02-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Id say postcards or some kind of mailers or doorhangers would yield more results than an ad in the phonebook...jmo

Advertising is most effective when using multiple avenues. I don't think this thread was a "direct mail vs print ad" thread. This comparison is frivolous, but to entertain the post, direct mail yields 2-3% response rate and 65% closing rate for a good closer (from our marketing reports) and our local yellow pages produces 50-60 calls (our 2 small ads) a month with a 40% closing rate.

Those are the most accurate numbers I can come up with, but I would never suggest sacrificing one for the other.

In no way am I trying to suggest that Raven is wrong about direct mail being a good avenue though.

Raven386
02-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Does anyone advertise in the yellow pages? What are the costs and do you see a good return. Just trying to figure how to best spend my $$$$..Thanks

there ya go...

Lawn-Sharks
02-28-2008, 04:25 PM
the yellow pages are alway trying to get to advertise with them. i tell them im not interested and they say well how to you expect to get business if no one knows who you are and for $20 a month we can put you number in our book.. so i just tell'em if i cant afford front page then i will not advertise with you! i have an enclosed trailer with my logo on it i have business cards i have uniforms i think people in my town will look for me more out in the public then they ever will in a Phone book with a tiny number that just says. Lawn Sharks (xxx) xxx-xxxx

Raven386
02-28-2008, 04:28 PM
I think advertising in the books is a good idea after you have gotten your name out there. logos on the truck,door hangers, etc.. so when they open up their yellowpages to look for a price they see you again. i cant say about your area but in my area there is quite a few lco's in there and by the time they would get to my ad they would have called 10 other companies. but if they get a mailer with just my name there is no competition there.

Team-Green L&L
02-28-2008, 04:33 PM
I think advertising in the books is a good idea after you have gotten your name out there. logos on the truck,door hangers, etc.. so when they open up their yellowpages to look for a price they see you again. i cant say about your area but in my area there is quite a few lco's in there and by the time they would get to my ad they would have called 10 other companies. but if they get a mailer with just my name there is no competition there.

I think advertising in the lawn and landscaping section of the Yellowpages may be hard, but we don't advertise there. We use the Yellowpages in a different way. Look at your book again. You can find many areas that are more usedul than the lawn and landscape section.

cspaugh
02-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all te replies, I think I will go for some vinyl designs on the truck and just pass out business cards. Maybe I will get one of those "this spot cared for by" , and plant it up real nice, with my name and # right there in the city. Oh, does anyone know who to contact for those "spots" just contact the city or what? THANKS again

Superior L & L
02-28-2008, 09:20 PM
I believe you have to do a little of everything. We do direct mailers to everyone in about 20 zip codes around us who just closed on a mortgage over $200,000. We spend over $600 a month on yellowpages(2 different books) NO yellow book! We do shows, monthly mag's and we just go door to door in the spring!

Another great thing is to do something in the community for free. Our town did a small scale Extreme Home makover. The guy was in a wheel chair and could not get around his house coz it was too small and not access able. A local group (twp. officials, local business and etc) knocked it down and built a brand new 1800 sqft house fully wheel chair access able home with all new furniture and appliances and special lift so they could get the kid from the bed to the bathroom and in to his wheel chair. We landscaped the house and put a lawn in for them. It probably cost us $1800 in labor and materials and we did it for "the good" of the community. But i cannot count how many people have talked about that job when we are trying to sign up new work. Two of the builders that helped on the job gave us over $100,000 in work last year(one we had never worked for before the other we had done two smaller projects for him)

People need to see your name everywhere they look. Its just hard to find a cap on your advertising dollars

old oak lawn
02-28-2008, 09:30 PM
I believe you have to do a little of everything. We do direct mailers to everyone in about 20 zip codes around us who just closed on a mortgage over $200,000. We spend over $600 a month on yellowpages(2 different books) NO yellow book! We do shows, monthly mag's and we just go door to door in the spring!

Another great thing is to do something in the community for free. Our town did a small scale Extreme Home makover. The guy was in a wheel chair and could not get around his house coz it was too small and not access able. A local group (twp. officials, local business and etc) knocked it down and built a brand new 1800 sqft house fully wheel chair access able home with all new furniture and appliances and special lift so they could get the kid from the bed to the bathroom and in to his wheel chair. We landscaped the house and put a lawn in for them. It probably cost us $1800 in labor and materials and we did it for "the good" of the community. But i cannot count how many people have talked about that job when we are trying to sign up new work. Two of the builders that helped on the job gave us over $100,000 in work last year(one we had never worked for before the other we had done two smaller projects for him)

People need to see your name everywhere they look. Its just hard to find a cap on your advertising dollars

verry good post. your name everywhere is the key. we have adds in to yellow page books and the best job i ever got [ a home builder that i still have ] came from a business card left in a local pizza place.

Tobin
02-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Yellow pages sucks not one call in 3 years, droppin em this year

Weekes
02-29-2008, 12:06 PM
My issue with yellowbook is there are to many of them. In my area we have about 4 of them competing. How to know which to advertise in, can't afford them all. So no I stay out of them at least for now.

Uranus
02-29-2008, 12:32 PM
MAN, I wish they would stop calling me! How many times do I have to tell them no before they understand that I dont want to give them my money?

Raven386
02-29-2008, 01:19 PM
tell them you went out of business.