PDA

View Full Version : Flat repair Slime-em or not

Mgardner
11-11-2001, 10:33 PM
On my Lesco 54" hydro from time to time I`ll throw on the ole sulky .This last season I had two flats within a week on the sulky tire. I slimed it & it went flat again. Maybe I put the stuff in improperly. Brought home a new Flatlander last week and picked up a shiney little thumb-tack dead center on my brand new units` front tire. Are there different tire products or they all about the same? Or maybe I don`t even want to go with those tire additives.I live out so it ain`t like I`ve got a tire shop next-door.Like to hear some thoughts from the pro-cutters and resolve this problem. :confused:

General Grounds
11-11-2001, 10:49 PM
:blob3: MG, for some reason i notice that the slime really works well in the larger tire and not so well say in the caster size tire, not sure why, you may want to consider a NO-FLAT tire for your sulky. they seem to do a great job, have them on all my sulkys and all caster wheels on my walk behinds. i know on some ride ons you may have to adjust deck pitch which is why i plug and slime. in those ride on csater you may want to throw an extra pump into the tire. TONY

tpirobert
11-11-2001, 11:12 PM
I stopped using Slime or any other sealant in my tires. I had one leak on a lawn and it left a dead streak of grass! I prefer to plug holes or throw a tube in. I've heard the solid no flat tires work well, but have not tried any. I run tubes in most castor tires as I had trouble with them breaking bead while hopping curbs.

scott's turf
11-12-2001, 09:20 AM
Yes, tubes are the way to go. It can be a little difficult to get the tires off the rim but you don't have to worry about the bead breaking and that tire slime is a mess when you eventually cange the tires. You can just keep patching them if they spring a hole.

HOWARD JONES
11-12-2001, 09:31 AM
To answer your question if all products are the same, my dealer recommends a product marketed by Simplicity - he says it is a type of rubber, without water - previous posts on this subject agree that some products (including slime) have lots of water and can rust your wheels. I do think the soft foam fill for castors would be the best. I have used a firm foam fill with no problems except weight and hardness.

Grassman
11-12-2001, 03:22 PM
I agree that the slime works better in the larger tires. We use the solid tires for our front casters and sulkie tires. The only drawbacks to the solids is the wheel bearings wear quicker on the sulkies. Russ

65hoss
11-12-2001, 06:45 PM
I have slime in all my eXmarks. Only had one flat all year. I guess a piece of large diameter wire in the sidewall wouldn't seal up. :D

I recommend it.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
11-13-2001, 08:54 PM
Been running slime in my W/B tires for about 2 years with succes. Except for the bead popping off one last week.. ?? not sure what happend.. It was just sitting in the trailer ??? Anyway.. Think slime is good.. So far ...

ArboristSite
11-15-2001, 01:33 AM
If you use it and take it into a dealer to get it fixed eventually, tell them you have it in there (most of the time you can tell cause of weight, obviously). I had a few I didnt notice any weight difference and since it rusts your rims many times its really tough to break the bead. When I finally broke some of the beads with that crap in there it went all over the place. I looked like I blew a camel. I came out so many times to the customer and they just burst into laughs. I didnt find the humor in it, unless it wasnt me and it was my friend. Funny how that works. I used to sell some stuff out of Loveland, CO that didnt rust the rims. It was great. It was called Tru-Goo. There is also some slime that is real cheap. It doesnt have the little black specs in it. It doesnt work as well. There is the slime with the little blacks specs that works well. They are both slime brand. I havent sold slime in the last couple years, so I really dont know if what I said above has changed much or that they still make the cheap stuff.

I am surprised many of you have had good luck with foam filling castor wheels. I had terrible luck with doing it. I actually stopped providing the service. The problem I had is the tire, broke apart almost the first day of use. Any ideas, what may have been my problem? The soft ones from the factory were good, the regular tires that were foamed after the fact is what I had problems with. Thanks.

HOWARD JONES
11-15-2001, 09:01 AM
Arborist, I don't know what product you used - the "foam" I got in Wichita, Kansas was actually rubber, resembled solid silicone - very heavy and really too firm but I had no problem with the tires. I think the new "soft foam" would be great - haven't got much feedback from users.

Mgardner
11-15-2001, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the feed-back on the slime topic. I may have found something in my own backyard. A fellow cutter stopped out and used what I think was called "the Tire Plugger" he picked it up through Russo`s out of Chicago . I`m gonna order one .,and carry it with. I don`t see why a person coudn`t use it on a truck tire. It really works slick.Easy to use.

ArboristSite
11-15-2001, 07:40 PM
Howard, thanks for the reply. Sounds like the same stuff, I used. Worked well on larger stuff, not for the 9-3.50-4. I didnt do it in house I actually sent them out to a very reputable tire place. Strange. May be it has to do with operator error. Around metal edging. Thats what it always looked like to me.

keifer
11-17-2001, 11:31 PM
I use fix a flat most of the time but have thought about getting tubes with slime in them says it can handle several holes.

Jay NineteenLM
12-20-2001, 08:32 PM
I repair low speed tires at work. All we had was Slime and I got to the point that I would not use it. I think the biggest problem is first to know where the leak is. Get a spray bottle and mix soap and water and spray to see where the leak is. If it is the bead or sidewall sealant may not work. I have torn down tires that had sealant only to find that it never made it to the leak. I use a good bead sealer and tire plug. The BEST tire sealant that I have used is available at your local John Deere dealer. Please don't use Fix-A-Flat in a aresol can. It wont plug the low pressure/low speed tires.
Randy

awm
12-22-2001, 07:44 PM
my opinion would be to just lean how to plug a tire.
it dont take 5 min to do and always works for me.
later now

JerryP54481
12-23-2001, 11:30 PM
I have not use the slime product but have installed Pneumaseal in many of my customerís tires. I like this product because it is water-soluble so it washes out when tire replacement is necessary. It also has solid fibers in it that helps close large punctures up to 1/4". The only time I have had trouble with it is when the tire has been slit and not punctured. Or if the customer tries to use less then the recommended amount for the size of tire he is trying to protect.
:)

Remo Sid
12-27-2001, 10:12 PM
I am the mantainance manager for the town I live in. I have several mowers with small tires, and slime ( does not work). The best remedy I found was to put ( four) ply tires on. The tires that gave the most problem was on two Exmarks with the caster wheels. Haven't had a flat since installing good 4 ply tires.

yorkpaddy
01-09-2002, 10:07 PM
I had a problem with one of the drive tires on my toro/exmark 36 going down constantly, i'd fill it up with air, and the next day it would be flat. So I put fix a flat in it, that was a year ago and not a problem since