PDA

View Full Version : Hustler and exmark 34 36" same system??

S man
02-28-2008, 02:13 PM
I have done some research on the hydrogear trans and found that all mini ztrs have the same system. But is there different grades of performance of different brands? The hustler says, zt2800 same as full hydro systems. And the phazer says Dual Hydro-Gear ZT2800 hydrostatic transaxles w/charge pumps and independent replacable filters. If they are the same why did my used to be dealer for mowers said the phazer has home owner pumps being he isn't an authorized exmark dealer and said to get the hustler because it is fully commercial grade and had a commercial system compared to the phazer. Also is the toro version exactely the same? I'm just wondering are the zt2800s the same on small commercial ztrs and different on cheap res. ztrs or are there all kinds of different combos of this integrated system. And will they last just like the traditional pump and wheel motor system.

tb8100
02-28-2008, 03:52 PM
All the ZT2800s are the same. Companies use them on Zs and walks. I haven't heard of one failing yet. The homeowner Hydrogear transaxles are the EZT and IZTs, and I have heard of premature deaths of these.

Some companies will have Hydrogear tweak the design to smooth out the control, but the same basic design is there. I know Bad Boy had some of the internal orifices tweaked to smooth out the new 2008 ZT series mowers.

S man
02-28-2008, 08:21 PM
So my phazer has true commercial grade zt2800s?

TomB
02-28-2008, 08:38 PM
All ZT2800's are not created equal. Some use a "powdered metal" gear and some a "cut steel" gear.

tb8100
02-28-2008, 08:50 PM
All ZT2800's are not created equal. Some use a "powdered metal" gear and some a "cut steel" gear.

Please elaborate. Who uses these powdered metal geared transaxles?

tb8100
02-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh, some of the ZT2800s are charged and some aren't. I have yet to see an application where they're not, but they may very well be out there.

S man
03-11-2008, 12:28 AM
I checked hustler's website and even their "commercial" grade 48" fast track super duty has them zt2800s. I really don't like the "whiny" sound they make.

Zooropa93
03-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Before we ditched Hustler, the rep told me they would be using the ZT2800's in more of their units and it would eventually replace traditional pump and wheel motor combinations in all units under 54" except the super minis which are supposed to keep the 16cc pumps. What really pissed me off at the time was the Trimstar walk behinds using IZT's which aren't even commecial duty after ditching the hydro walkbehind which used some variant of a BDP10 pump. As TB has already mentioned, the EZT's and IZT's are consumer grade with the EZT's reserved for the most low end entry level Z mowers.

tb8100
03-11-2008, 01:10 AM
yeah, I dont get why Hustler uses IZTs. Of course, they've abandoned their dealers in areas like Texas where only gear drive walks sell. I can sell a Scag 36" SW with a fixed deck for $2999. The Trimstars start in the mid to upper $4s, correct?

Zooropa93
03-11-2008, 02:00 AM
Lemme think for a sec...in sept. I sold my last(2nd last if you include the one we returned when dropping the line) old style 37" hydro walk behind hustlers for 4300, it was the old pump and wheel motor set up, but that had been on the floor for 2 years. If I remember correctly, a 48" Trimstar with the IZT set up ran for around 4900-5000 promo last year. I couldn't tell you about the belt drive units cause we never sold a hustler gear drive, and I think they may have done away with them this year.

Zooropa93
03-11-2008, 02:03 AM
yeah, I dont get why Hustler uses IZTs. Of course, they've abandoned their dealers in areas like Texas where only gear drive walks sell. I can sell a Scag 36" SW with a fixed deck for $2999. The Trimstars start in the mid to upper $4s, correct?

I'm a bit higher but close to that on that SW (dist. differnces probably). It's a solid unit for the money.

S man
03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
So why are they putting the crappy zt27800s on everything? I can't stand the ones on my phazer because they are whiny and growl like crazy and not not as responsive as a pump wheel motor set up. I just snagged a wright stander 32" with 18 hrs on it and use it over the phazer all the time now. Much better mainly because of the 10cc pumps and wheel motors.

Grits
03-11-2008, 06:26 PM
So why are they putting the crappy zt27800s on everything? I can't stand the ones on my phazer because they are whiny and growl like crazy and not not as responsive as a pump wheel motor set up. I just snagged a wright stander 32" with 18 hrs on it and use it over the phazer all the time now. Much better mainly because of the 10cc pumps and wheel motors.

They don't put them on everything. They are on the Fastrak SuperDuty and below. Even the Superduty isn't fully commercial rated. If you would buy an all out commercial mower you wouldn't have to worry about it. You get what you pay for. I am not knocking the Phazer or the Fastraks, they are great for what they are intended to do.

Roger
03-11-2008, 06:46 PM
S-man, some of these products are intended to market to a particular price point. Components are selected to build a complete machine, but may be lower priced in order to meet the pricing requirements.

As Grits said, these machines are intended for a market niche, at a price point.

Zooropa93
03-11-2008, 06:56 PM
S-man, some of these products are intended to market to a particular price point. Components are selected to build a complete machine, but may be lower priced in order to meet the pricing requirements.

As Grits said, these machines are intended for a market niche, at a price point.

IZT's have no business in any product marketed for professional usage... period. If Hustler is going to cheapen their walk behind and use consumer grade components it should be marketed as a consumer grade product without question in my opinion.

GrassmasterB
03-11-2008, 07:08 PM
They don't put them on everything. They are on the Fastrak SuperDuty and below. Even the Superduty isn't fully commercial rated. If you would buy an all out commercial mower you wouldn't have to worry about it. You get what you pay for. I am not knocking the Phazer or the Fastraks, they are great for what they are intended to do.

but the fastrak superduty of 08' was the mini z of 06' and 07'. so they were commercially rated. the super duty still carries a 2 year commercial warranty.

S man
03-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm just saying I feel the integrated system cheapens and makes the machine feel less solid. I love my stander because it has a pump wheel motor combo. I will sell the phazer eventually and get a exmark lazer z to replace and use the stander on all my small lawns because it works better for them than the phazer and when I do need a larger mower the phazer is too small.

Zooropa93
03-12-2008, 03:01 AM
but the fastrak superduty of 08' was the mini z of 06' and 07'. so they were commercially rated. the super duty still carries a 2 year commercial warranty.

partially true...the mini z 36 and mini z 42 of 06 and 07 are the same as the super duty fastrak in those sizes, but there is a 23kaw. 48" fastrak super duty and 52" fastrak super duty this year. There never was a 48" mini Z and all the 52" and old 44" were pump and wheel motor combinations. The last Hustler I ordered in before we dropped the line was an 07 mini Z 19kaw, 52" and it had the 10cc pump and wheel motor set up. If I remember right, mini Z's and Z's used 10cc pumps while super mini's used 16cc, and super Z's had 21cc. It's late and I'm tired so bear with me if I'm made a goof on the pump sizes, but i'm pretty sure that's what they were.

S man
03-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Some say the integrated system is better because everything's in one place with no leaky hoses and probs associated with pump wheel motor combos. I don't like it though.