PDA

View Full Version : Sidehill mowing: Which walkbehind?

moe sizlack
02-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Im an LCO of a smaller operation in northern minnesota. Alot of my accounts are on lakeside aspects that all have some significant hills that need to be mowed. Sidehill mowing is very dangerous without the proper equipment, and currently use my snapper pro 52, but wondering if there is different mower that "sticks" a little better than the snapper. Any suggestions would help (i.e. make, models). Thanks.

touhey33
02-28-2008, 03:22 PM
I just got the Ferris dd comfort control 52". I havn't used it much other than driving it around, but it has the widest footprint of all wb's I've seen, and also has speed control overide. When you are on hills you can just make the lower tire travel faster to stay on the hill, rather then slowing the top tire down.

moe sizlack
02-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Does the ferris seem to have a lower profile? Im thinking keeping the weight lower will make it less likley to wash out.

Marek
02-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Ferris makes a nice , wide , heavy mower. They hold hills great but if they start to go they are gone where as a lighter unit you can manhandle a bit more. How about going to dual wheels on your unit? I have a friend who puts duals on all thier walk behinds as they only use them where they have to. He simply welds two steel wheels togather. They make awsome hill machines. His last several have been Lesco units.

moe sizlack
02-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Never thought of the duals. Was looking at the quick 36, but without the hydros on both drive tires, it might be a tought.

ProStreetCamaro
02-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Toro with turbo force deck. These have great controls, are good on hills and we all already know the turbo force deck produces a great cut quality. Watch this video. It looks as if the toro has a nice low center of gravity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3tlo35KUDY

Also the Gravely walk behind tend to do really well on hills. They to have a great cut and are very durable mowers.

moe sizlack
02-28-2008, 04:01 PM
i hate to admit, but the hills in the toro video are not as steep as most that I have to mow. These hills are steep, and dangerous. Being the LCO, i wont even allow my employees to attempt them. But they are great accounts, and would hate to pass on them.

ProStreetCamaro
02-28-2008, 04:08 PM
i hate to admit, but the hills in the toro video are not as steep as most that I have to mow. These hills are steep, and dangerous. Being the LCO, i wont even allow my employees to attempt them. But they are great accounts, and would hate to pass on them.

No no i didnt post the video to show hills. Those arent even hills in my eyes. I posted it to show how low the stance was on the toro. The lower the better. If your hills are that steep it might be wise to invest in some double wheels for the back of your machines. I have mowed 1 place with a hill so steep it was all I could do to even keep my footing. I used a gravely Pro-50 walkbehind. Had it been any steeper I would have had to wear baseball cleats or golf shoes. I have seen some scag mowers with double wheels on the back.

moe sizlack
02-28-2008, 04:16 PM
So you feel my pain! These are like the ones you describe, barly stand up and hard as hell on the ankles! Ill look into the duals-seems like the thing to do. Did like the toro tho.

LCPullman
02-28-2008, 05:09 PM
I would suggest you demo some mowers on the hills you want to mow. I think the Toro walk-behinds with the Turbo-force should be very good on hills. The Hustler walk-behinds aren't nearly as good though.

JLAWNCARE
02-28-2008, 05:58 PM
I bought a ferris 52 comfort control dd it will cut hills very well .I cut hillS with it that a mower should not even be on and it handles great. I looked a lot of mowers and ferris was the best on hills

tacoma200
02-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Toro with turbo force deck. These have great controls, are good on hills and we all already know the turbo force deck produces a great cut quality. Watch this video. It looks as if the toro has a nice low center of gravity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3tlo35KUDY

Also the Gravely walk behind tend to do really well on hills. They to have a great cut and are very durable mowers.

Nice video

cgaengineer
02-28-2008, 07:28 PM
I have the same Tor as in the video but a 40", I can honestly tell you it is great on hills and I have yet to have it feel like its going to tip...I cut my grandmothers lawn and she has a slope on the side that is about 3:1 and the worst it has done is slide when it was wet.

LCPullman
02-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Based on my experience, I don't think your going to have walk-behinds tipping over. What they will do is either nose down or just start sliding down the hill sideways as you go along. So the question is which mower is going to hold the slope longest. The Hustler Trimstar is real bad about nosing down.

pbr1893
02-28-2008, 09:48 PM
We use Bobcats in the mountains of NC and have been very happy. However everyone has their own preference. But i will sat that its easier with belt drive on a hill because you can manually jerk it back into line if it gets away from you ...not so with the hydro wb's.

Green Pastures
02-28-2008, 10:15 PM
I just pulled the trigger on an 08' Exmark Turf Tracer with a 23 hp Kawasaki and a 60" Ultracut deck.

$7100 out the door with a micro mulch kit included.

bigclawn
02-28-2008, 11:40 PM
any hydro with a dual wheel set up will mow stuff you can barely walk on with no problem! The dual wheel set up we used came custom ordered from McCord Tire in Indiana--they will make any set up for you.

moe sizlack
02-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks a lot for the info. Duallys are a for sure.

smcunningham
02-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Scag w/b behinds do pretty good on hills.......better yet check these photos out
This hill is mowed w/ my scag 52" w/b

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=184331

Budget
02-29-2008, 10:49 AM
I bought a ferris 52 comfort control dd it will cut hills very well .I cut hillS with it that a mower should not even be on and it handles great. I looked a lot of mowers and ferris was the best on hills

Same here, i demoed 3 units on my steepest hill property's and the Ferris felt like it had more control and held the hill better. Plus they beat everyone on price too.

mag360
02-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Definitely ferris for an oem walk behind that will hold a hill but....
If you are consistently mowing these steep side slopes a dual wheel setup will minimize the rutting that you would undoubtedly see with a single rear wheel machine.

George Mason
07-28-2008, 02:20 AM
also has speed control overide. When you are on hills you can just make the lower tire travel faster to stay on the hill, rather then slowing the top tire down.

I have the 48" and the features you mention here make this mower a real champ on inclines. I am mowing in Central VA, where the Blue Ridge Mts. are located and the inclines can be pretty tough at times depending upon where the property is located and so-forth. This mower really tears 'em up though and I'd advise it to anyone looking for a walk-behind as it does a damn good job on flat terrain as well.

My first season with it, but no problems whatsoever thus far.

greenred
07-28-2008, 02:50 AM
There was a company that made walk behinds in the 90's that came with dual wheels. I wish I could remember the name of the company.

Kilman's
07-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Toro is great equipment, i have used for around 15 years, not a complaint, and the controls are great