PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron caster forks on JDs?

tb8100
02-28-2008, 04:52 PM
I was just looking at a 717 with these. Towards the top they're almost 1" thick. Are these truly more durable than traditional steel casters?

tamadrummer
02-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Yes, that is correct. I run a 727a and the casters are very heavy duty.

I don't know if they are anymore heavy than some of the others but they are a bit more stout than the ones on my friends Husqvarna mowers and my other friends Dixie Choppers.

I don't guess it makes a ton of difference unless you are doing demolition derbies with them though.....:nono:

As far as the mower goes, I could not as for it to do more than it has. It is a great little mower for being a 54/23.

tb8100
02-28-2008, 07:58 PM
The sales pitch the dealer gave was that over time, conventional steel front caster forks can bend, leading to uneven cutting. Cast iron doesn't bend, it snaps. But as thick as it is, it would be pretty hard to snap it I would think. Neat concept, but I think it's a bit overkill. Why not just go to 3/4" conventional wheel forks and be done with it. There would be no way you could bend that unless you drove it off a small cliff.

derekarbeiter
03-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Yes I have them on my 717A and they are stout. A lot better than the previous JD forks. The new 2008 Z-trak has cast iron forks and caster arms- WOW! Those will be here for a while.

Mimowerman
03-24-2008, 10:46 AM
The sales pitch the dealer gave was that over time, conventional steel front caster forks can bend, leading to uneven cutting. Cast iron doesn't bend, it snaps. But as thick as it is, it would be pretty hard to snap it I would think. Neat concept, but I think it's a bit overkill. Why not just go to 3/4" conventional wheel forks and be done with it. There would be no way you could bend that unless you drove it off a small cliff.

I believe the point of these forks is to actually be heavier than the standard forks, to avoid the wobble occasionally associated with driving the mower at high speeds on pavement . but cast iorn would be a bit more heavy duty too!!