PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations To My Hustler Dealer

puppypaws
02-28-2008, 05:14 PM
I was just told by my Hustler dealer that he was invited to a Bobcat mower company meeting a couple of days ago and they presented him with a plaque for selling the most Bobcats of any dealer in the US, $3,000,000.00 plus. Now to put this in perspective, Bobcat is his second best seller with Hustler being number one. He said the oldest Hustler he had in stock was around three weeks old. That means he sold all his inventory with no carryover in the worst drought ever recorded in this area, he must be a magician.

He told me he drove a prototype Bobcat Predator Pro with a 37 hp. Kawasaki and 21 cc pumps that would cut grass at 16 mph. This machine is not even being talked about at this time. I told him I certainly would like to run one to compare with the Super Z.

He said all this speed is coming about, but somewhere there had to be a speed you could not cut grass. I told him you could not cut at those speeds now; with 3 1/2" cutting heights and above, there is not enough suction to keep the grass standing up well enough to get a good cut. I have no problem at 15 mph with the lower cutting heights I use, but by the deck being closer to the ground you create more suction to hold the grass up.

ProStreetCamaro
02-28-2008, 05:51 PM
I find it funny how one mower is popular in region A while another mower is popular in region B and so on. That is amazing that he sells so many mowers! Our hustler dealer may sell a couple a year and thats a big huge MAYBE because in all my years in this area I have seen a grand tottal of 1 hustler mower on a trailer. Now when I went down to florida to visit I seen a bunch of them. I dont think they cut northern grass very well and thats why they havent caught on very good in northern states.

JB1
02-28-2008, 06:08 PM
whats interesting is what area in parts parts of the country are the top selling dealers . Like where is the top Exmark, Hustler or scag. Well I do know where the top selling hustler is though.

ProStreetCamaro
02-28-2008, 06:12 PM
whats interesting is what area in parts parts of the country are the top selling dealers . Like where is the top Exmark, Hustler or scag. Well I do know where the top selling hustler is though.

True true. Exmark seems to be king around here. It is very rare to see a trailer that doesnt have exmark on it in this area.

tacoma200
02-28-2008, 06:25 PM
What mowers are not here? I can tell you there are about 2 Hustlers in this county (one a home owner), no Walkers, no Bad Boys, 1 commercial John Deere, and one old Kubota.

What is here?
1. Grasshoppers
2. Scags
3. Exmarks
4. Gravely
5. a few Toros, Cubs, Bobcats, and Bush Hogs
6. A few trailers with built in beer coolers hauling craftsmans
7. One craftsman with no deck, no trailer, that runs around town with a rebel flag blowing behind. Yes he's being treated. He carries a loaded bb gun.

You got to love this place.

lawnspecialties
02-28-2008, 06:46 PM
What mowers are not here? I can tell you there are about 2 Hustlers in this county (one a home owner), no Walkers, no Bad Boys, 1 commercial John Deere, and one old Kubota.

That's funny how indeed different mowers are more or less popular in different areas.

What is here?
1. Grasshoppers Don't recall ever seeing a single one in the entire Raleigh area.
2. Scags Rarely see them here but there are a few.
3. Exmarks Probably fourth on rank in popularity here.
4. Gravely More than Scag, not as much as Exmark.
5. a few Toros, Cubs, Bobcats, and Bush Hogs Toro may be number 1 in popularity here. There are a few Cubs here but the dealer is an azz and that hurts them. BobCats are rare and Bush Hog is about as popular as Grasshoppers.
6. A few trailers with built in beer coolers hauling craftsmans Every town has a few of them :laugh:
7. One craftsman with no deck, no trailer, that runs around town with a rebel flag blowing behind. Yes he's being treated. He carries a loaded bb gun.

You got to love this place.

Top Mowers in the Raleigh area: Probably Toro, Hustler, Deere, and then Exmark.

tb8100
02-28-2008, 06:48 PM
We see a fair amount of Toro, Scag, and Hustlers around here, more than anything else (there was a Scag dealer here 2 years ago that had been around forever). There's starting to be more and more Bad Boy orange though!

tamadrummer
02-28-2008, 07:00 PM
I'd say 60% are eXmark
and then in no order Toro, Hustler, Wright, and Walker with some JD sprinkled in here and there.

You will also see Cub, Everride and Dixie every now and then. I have never seen a Bad Boy on a trailer or in the field. Only at Tractor Supply.....

tb8100
02-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Boy I bet that Bobcat drove smooth with 21cc pumps! I was looking on their website....looks like you're sitting up considerably higher on the Bobcat compared to say a Scag Wildcat (and the reason I compare those two is they're both Dane Scag designs). The top of the seat on a Wildcat is about 42" off the ground to the Predator Pro's 46.5". I wonder what the difference is in the true center of gravity?

TomB
02-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Boy I bet that Bobcat drove smooth with 21cc pumps! I was looking on their website....looks like you're sitting up considerably higher on the Bobcat compared to say a Scag Wildcat (and the reason I compare those two is they're both Dane Scag designs). The top of the seat on a Wildcat is about 42" off the ground to the Predator Pro's 46.5". I wonder what the difference is in the true center of gravity?

How do you get that they are both Dane Scag designs? He sold Bobcat in the 70's and Scag in the 80's. Long before a Wildcat or Predator were out.

tb8100
02-28-2008, 08:00 PM
How do you get that they are both Dane Scag designs? He sold Bobcat in the 70's and Scag in the 80's. Long before a Wildcat or Predator were out.

my bad, I didn't know when he sold those companies. I wonder how much of his design has made it into these new mowers.

TomB
02-28-2008, 08:05 PM
None!!!!!!

Zooropa93
02-28-2008, 08:49 PM
We see a fair amount of Toro, Scag, and Hustlers around here, more than anything else (there was a Scag dealer here 2 years ago that had been around forever). There's starting to be more and more Bad Boy orange though!

in my area there's not a major Toro dealer left but you see lots of toro(esp in walkbehinds), a decent and fairly even spread of scag, hustler, and exmark with a surprising amount of walker and a few husqvarnas and gravely. What you don't see much of in this area is bad boy, deere, or bobcat.

puppypaws
02-29-2008, 01:55 PM
in my area there's not a major Toro dealer left but you see lots of toro(esp in walkbehinds), a decent and fairly even spread of scag, hustler, and exmark with a surprising amount of walker and a few husqvarnas and gravely. What you don't see much of in this area is bad boy, deere, or bobcat.

Here you see a big number of Hustlers, Exmarks, and Scags. Bobcat and JD is coming on pretty strong, the Cub Tanks have not gone over very well in this area for some reason.

TomberLawn
02-29-2008, 04:28 PM
That's impressive, puppypaws. I figured Bob-Cat was his biggest seller, though. I see a whole lot more of them up on my end of the county than Hustlers. In fact, I can only think of about 2 Hustlers I've seen around here, but I see Bob-Cats all the time. I've seen Chad's warehouse, crated mowers stacked to the ceiling. He must get a truckload a week to sell that many mowers!

puppypaws
02-29-2008, 04:54 PM
That's impressive, puppypaws. I figured Bob-Cat was his biggest seller, though. I see a whole lot more of them up on my end of the county than Hustlers. In fact, I can only think of about 2 Hustlers I've seen around here, but I see Bob-Cats all the time. I've seen Chad's warehouse, crated mowers stacked to the ceiling. He must get a truckload a week to sell that many mowers!

He sells mowers over a wide area it would not take but 350 to 400 Bobcats to get up in the $3,000,000.00 range. He had a bad fall and still sold several hundred more Hustlers than Bobcats. I think the year before he sold up towards a thousand Hustlers. He told me the number of Hustlers he sold in the last three weeks the other day and I can't remember but I know he said they sold four one day. I remember he sold nine Hustlers one day last spring, the city of Monroe bought a big number at one time and got them all with flex forks. The city already had one with flex forks and said the boys would fight over which one used it, so they purchased all the new ones with them.

You should get Chad to tell you the name of the person in charge of buying mowers for the cities use. He will give you a real testimony of what the Super Z's mean to their operation and believe me they mow many, many acres. The gentleman said they had tried virtually all mowers and the Hustler was more productive with less problems than the other brands so they went all Hustler this time on the zero turns. They also have some of the big high dollar Toro's that cut 12'.

Zooropa93
02-29-2008, 09:43 PM
He sells mowers over a wide area it would not take but 350 to 400 Bobcats to get up in the $3,000,000.00 range. He had a bad fall and still sold several hundred more Hustlers than Bobcats. I think the year before he sold up towards a thousand Hustlers. He told me the number of Hustlers he sold in the last three weeks the other day and I can't remember but I know he said they sold four one day. I remember he sold nine Hustlers one day last spring, the city of Monroe bought a big number at one time and got them all with flex forks. The city already had one with flex forks and said the boys would fight over which one used it, so they purchased all the new ones with them.

You should get Chad to tell you the name of the person in charge of buying mowers for the cities use. He will give you a real testimony of what the Super Z's mean to their operation and believe me they mow many, many acres. The gentleman said they had tried virtually all mowers and the Hustler was more productive with less problems than the other brands so they went all Hustler this time on the zero turns. They also have some of the big high dollar Toro's that cut 12'.

At least that city is concerned about quality as much as price....we have a city that seems to buy purely on price and engine size. They ignore every other aspect regarding quality of workmanship and other components used. Hustler is a pretty good product and I can't really complain about anything with those mowers (as a former hustler dealer) except that the Super Z's sacrifice a bit of torque (esp going uphill) for top speed. Otherwise, a well built machine

KS_Grasscutter
02-29-2008, 09:59 PM
I find it funny how one mower is popular in region A while another mower is popular in region B and so on.

Yep, here it is Walker, Dixon, Grasshopper, in that order. And there isn't enough of any other brand here to bother with listing it. And I think we are the ONLY place in the frickin WORLD that Dixon mowers are/were popular.

Zooropa93
02-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Yep, here it is Walker, Dixon, Grasshopper, in that order. And there isn't enough of any other brand here to bother with listing it. And I think we are the ONLY place in the frickin WORLD that Dixon mowers are/were popular.

I think you're right! WTH was Husqvarna thinking when they made that purchase?!?!?

lifetree
02-29-2008, 10:22 PM
I was just told by my Hustler dealer that he was invited to a Bobcat mower company meeting a couple of days ago and they presented him with a plaque for selling the most Bobcats of any dealer in the US, $3,000,000.00 plus. Now to put this in perspective, Bobcat is his second best seller with Hustler being number one. He said the oldest Hustler he had in stock was around three weeks old. That means he sold all his inventory with no carryover in the worst drought ever recorded in this area, he must be a magician. ...

He's obviously a good salesman !!

ProStreetCamaro
02-29-2008, 10:36 PM

Thats funny because I have seen a grand tottal of 1 Walker, 1 Dixon commercial ZTR and 2 grasshoppers here. A friend of ours used to sell the grasshopper machines at his dealership. In 5 years time he sold 2 of them. :laugh: I drove them all the time to help him put them out on the center island for people to see and I thought they seemed like awsome machines and I couldnt figure out why nobody would buy them. :confused:

TOOLSHACK
02-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Puppypaws:

I would like to know the name of this dealer and his dealership name. I would like to contact him and ask him some questions in reference to the Hustler line. Can you pass that info along to me?

KS_Grasscutter
02-29-2008, 10:37 PM
I think you're right! WTH was Husqvarna thinking when they made that purchase?!?!?

Actually they were really nice until Husqvarna messed them up.

puppypaws
03-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Puppypaws:

I would like to know the name of this dealer and his dealership name. I would like to contact him and ask him some questions in reference to the Hustler line. Can you pass that info along to me?

Talk only with Chad Whitley (the owner) and tell him Reid Phifer said to call him.

Whitley Lawn & Garden 704-764-3910

He's obviously a good salesman !!

Not just a good salesman but an extremely fine human being...

TOOLSHACK
03-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks Reid! I'm going to call him and pick his brain a little. Obviously he's a great dealer.. maybe I can learn a thing or two from him.

puppypaws
03-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks Reid! I'm going to call him and pick his brain a little. Obviously he's a great dealer.. maybe I can learn a thing or two from him.

It is basically his belief in God and the effort to treat his customers the way he would like to be treated is what has gotten him to where he is. He has a wonderful personality and his entire business is run very, very, efficiently.

He is also a dealer for Kioti tractors which has been an extremely good seller for him.

retrodog
03-02-2008, 12:58 AM
Around here you see Grasshoppers everywhere. I have only seen 1 exmark, and 1 Ferris, and I am mainly in Paris, Tx that has around 36000 folks. Bobcat I have never heard of before until the dealer down the road from me picked them up. He said the only reason he picked them up was because he dropped Great Dane, and they are giving him the mowers on consignment. In other words they give him the bobcats for free with no risk whatsoever, and he has to pay for them as he sells them. That is crazy. I wish all the mower companies will do this, I would have mowers everywhere...lol. Good way to go belly up fast on their part though. He hasn't sold one yet, but he honestly doesn't "have" to. There is alot of Bad Boy orange creeping up around us though. So far there are 21 brand spanking new ones running around the little town of Hugo, OK this year....lol.

Zooropa93
03-02-2008, 01:49 AM
Around here you see Grasshoppers everywhere. I have only seen 1 exmark, and 1 Ferris, and I am mainly in Paris, Tx that has around 36000 folks. Bobcat I have never heard of before until the dealer down the road from me picked them up. He said the only reason he picked them up was because he dropped Great Dane, and they are giving him the mowers on consignment. In other words they give him the bobcats for free with no risk whatsoever, and he has to pay for them as he sells them. That is crazy. I wish all the mower companies will do this, I would have mowers everywhere...lol. Good way to go belly up fast on their part though. He hasn't sold one yet, but he honestly doesn't "have" to. There is alot of Bad Boy orange creeping up around us though. So far there are 21 brand spanking new ones running around the little town of Hugo, OK this year....lol.

There's virtually no bad boys in my area....we talked to them briefly but there's no way we are going to pick them up. If anything we need to decrease the # of lines we carry but we have several lines that are pressing us to pick them up. Too many lines means ya don't buy in a decent bracket and means my customers end up paying more so we both lose.

puppypaws
03-02-2008, 09:10 AM

Bobcat makes one of the top mowers on the market. I personally ran one for over 700 hrs. with zero problems, it rode rough and was only a 9 mph mower at that time. The new Predator Pro is a 13 1/2 mph mower with a better ride and more features.

I personally have one friend in the business and all he runs is Bobcats. He told me last year one of his mowers had 4100 hrs. with no problems. I told him to remember that one because it was kinda like bird dogs, a man only gets one that is perfect in a lifetime, and some never get that one.

You should get your dealer to give you a demo with the best Predator Pro he has, one with the 37 Kawasaki and give us the comparison between it and the Bad Boy. That would be very good information for people considering either mower.

delphied
03-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Up here in the great white north its Exmark. Then JD, Toro ,Scag. Very few if any Kubota since most Yankees know which side their bread is buttered on. Ive never seen a Wright in my area but I wish someone would sell them here. I have never laid eyes on a Walker or BadBoy.

GravelyNut
03-02-2008, 03:53 PM
It is basically his belief in God and the effort to treat his customers the way he would like to be treated is what has gotten him to where he is. He has a wonderful personality and his entire business is run very, very, efficiently.

He is also a dealer for Kioti tractors which has been an extremely good seller for him.

Has he had much luck selling the 45 HP Kiotis? The 15/20 HP units sell well here but forget the big one. Also the Hustlers sell well down here. 4 in one day to the same company says they are well recieved. Yes they had to have the flex forks and believe it or not, rear discharge 60" decks.

puppypaws
03-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Has he had much luck selling the 45 HP Kiotis? The 15/20 HP units sell well here but forget the big one. Also the Hustlers sell well down here. 4 in one day to the same company says they are well recieved. Yes they had to have the flex forks and believe it or not, rear discharge 60" decks.

The Hustler rear discharge decks do not sell here. He has sold all size Kioti tractors up to 90 hp, but this is also a big farming area.

Capemay Eagle
03-02-2008, 06:14 PM
I would say that here in way South Jersey that Great Dane surfers and Wright standers are popular. Other than that Toro's, Hustler, Scag and Bontons are the Norm. Gotta go to Delaware to buy a Dixon or Gravely, so you don't see many..