PDA

View Full Version : check out these gas cans

corey4671
02-28-2008, 08:11 PM
I was surfing around the site for a company that sponsors a local home and garden radio show and found these gas cans. Has anyone else seen them or used them?

http://www.dickenssupply.com/No%20Spill%20Gas%20Cans.htm

tb8100
02-28-2008, 08:16 PM
I've seen those somewhere. Those are too cool, and inexpensive. Best spout design I've seen, if it's durable. I hate most of the new spouts they've had to go to to prevent spillage.

deere615
02-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Those look really coooool:cool2:

Lance L
02-28-2008, 09:39 PM
ya ive got about 10 of them in 5 and 2.5 gallon sizes, they work great and flow so fast =) and the push button is nice, the spouts will split over time tho close to the yellow part, but i think you can buy new ones, i know you can buy the screw on part and not the whole can, but we just slow down the flow a bit, not biggie. i think they were 14 for the 2.5 and 16 for the 5 gal could be wrong but its been a while. work great tho

ed2hess
02-28-2008, 09:47 PM
These cans aren't going to last....we have several 5 gallon and they don't have any way for air to get in/out when just sitting in the truck. This morning at 40F the tank shrank down and look like a prune....there was little gas in it. No way for air to get in. The other day with it full and temp was 80F it looked like a balloon and was very unstable. Just a couple design flaws to work out.

millenium_123
02-28-2008, 10:12 PM
These cans aren't going to last....we have several 5 gallon and they don't have any way for air to get in/out when just sitting in the truck. This morning at 40F the tank shrank down and look like a prune....there was little gas in it. No way for air to get in. The other day with it full and temp was 80F it looked like a balloon and was very unstable. Just a couple design flaws to work out.

I had that problem with one of my gas cans, like the ones that come from walmart so I just poked a hole in the top of it, seemed to work pretty good.
I just ordered one of these off of the link. It was 27.95 but I thought I'd give it a try. The new ones made by Blitz spill gas all over the place!

meets1
02-28-2008, 10:19 PM
I bought a few of these at the GIE show about 4 years ago. I don't mind them but they do blow up or prune shape down when temp changes.

tb8100
02-28-2008, 10:41 PM

Metal valve stem works great for this. Drill small hole in can, thread in short valve stem, and voila! Vent when you want it, closed off when you don't!

(just be sure to clean the shavings out before pouring gas in your equipment!! :hammerhead: )

wahlturfcare
02-29-2008, 09:37 AM
i run them and love em. Never had a problem with the expanding though as they self vent. And they flow great too compared to the ventless ones.

newz7151
02-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I had that problem with one of my gas cans, like the ones that come from walmart so I just poked a hole in the top of it, seemed to work pretty good.
I just ordered one of these off of the link. It was 27.95 but I thought I'd give it a try. The new ones made by Blitz spill gas all over the place!

Poke or drill the hole under the handle (where your fingers wrap around). This way you are providing better protection from water entering your can if it's ever caught out in the rain.

Johnson LCO
02-29-2008, 10:19 AM
I want some of those but just cant stand the though of spending 35$ for a 5 gallon and 20$ for a 2.5 gallon. They are just plastic gas cans and I would feel real stupid if they didnt last a long time.

corey4671
02-29-2008, 01:40 PM

that company will be at the Nashville Lawn and Garden show this weekend. I'm gonna print this of and see if they will gimme a cut for the free plug I put out on the web for them!!:laugh:

ed2hess
02-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Metal valve stem works great for this. Drill small hole in can, thread in short valve stem, and voila! Vent when you want it, closed off when you don't!

(just be sure to clean the shavings out before pouring gas in your equipment!! :hammerhead: )

Maybe I am missing something but I can always let air in/out if I am around but in the middle of the night when temp drops them shrink up and the damage is done. Same way if it sits in the trailer in the sun it blows up. As the other responder says I put a small hole in one and guess what gas trikkled out on me. This isn't a big winner in my book.

Dave_005
02-29-2008, 11:09 PM
I was surfing around the site for a company that sponsors a local home and garden radio show and found these gas cans. Has anyone else seen them or used them?

http://www.dickenssupply.com/No%20Spill%20Gas%20Cans.htm

i just bought a couple of those myself, they are great, i bought mine from K-Mart !

corey4671
03-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Maybe I am missing something but I can always let air in/out if I am around but in the middle of the night when temp drops them shrink up and the damage is done. Same way if it sits in the trailer in the sun it blows up. As the other responder says I put a small hole in one and guess what gas trikkled out on me. This isn't a big winner in my book.

not trying to be a smart alleck here, but somebody posted in the thread to drill the hole ont he underside of the handle. There's no fuel flowing through that area but it still allows air in and out of the can...

ed2hess
03-01-2008, 09:18 PM
not trying to be a smart alleck here, but somebody posted in the thread to drill the hole ont he underside of the handle. There's no fuel flowing through that area but it still allows air in and out of the can...

Sorry I missed that point....should read closer before typing.

corey4671
03-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Sorry I missed that point....should read closer before typing.

no harm no foul..we're all guilty of it now and then :waving: myself included

backtobasicslawncare
03-01-2008, 09:32 PM
yea i saw those there the other day there at dickens store. they wont last long.

Mr.Mow-It-All
03-01-2008, 10:20 PM
What about theese. Anyone use em?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_40444_40444

txgrassguy
03-01-2008, 10:34 PM
I have used those safety cans before. Pricey but very durable.
What I do now is to have a 28 gallon fuel caddy in the shop for regular and a 15 gallon for 2 cycle.
All of the mowers are filled at the end of the day as well as all of the 2-cycle stuff.
The only cans the crews carry are one 2 gallon to top off the 21" machines and one 2.5 gallon for the 2-cycle.
Twice a week the larger fuel caddies are refueled then returned to the shop.
Has really cut down on fuel waste and theft.

grass-scapes
03-01-2008, 10:57 PM
One day, when DOT clamps down, we won't be able to get away with using the plastic cans on our trailers. They are not DOT approved. The only cans you are supposed to be able to carry are the metal safety cans. And then you are only allowed up to 9 gallons total I think.